Should I go 00 Gauge or TT:120 Gauge?

Delorean1984

Hey all

I have been looking on this site on and off for a little while now and had some help from some fellow members, mainly from @Harlequina few years back when I wanted to build a layout for my daughters and myself.

Back then I had space in the garage to build a 10ft x 5ft layout and this would be my first layout I have ever built, complete newbie. However never got round to building it and also something just didn't feel right building it in the garage where it would only get used part of the year and also would be subject to big temperature differences etc.

Anyway 2.5 years on, I might have a spare space inside the house where I can now build it and it would be better. I want to try and keep things simple for me to build and something my daughters will enjoy helping to build and more importantly using it. I don't have much experience apart from playing with train sets when I was young myself but do have a good idea of how things can be built on a layout. The space inside the house would not allow the same size as  what the garage did but I can certainly fit an 8ft x 5ft layout with a 4ft x 2.25ft well in middle (if tucked right up to the wall), if not I can omit the well and move away from the wall so I don't have to stretch over. I think this size layout as a first layout is quite generous.

Alternatively I can do an L shape board layout (without the well but tucked into corner of room), a 6ft x 4ft board with another 4ft x 2.5ft board attached to it. My concern with this setup is stretching over the board to build, I won't be able to stretch that far, especially in the corners unless I move the layout away from the wall and allow for access behind it but this will therefore make the layout smaller too.

I also have to think about playability too, I do feel my first idea is the better of the two. What are you thoughts on this?

Next big question is that I was going to do my layout in 00 gauge but since that idea I have notice TT:120 has been released from Hornby and I was thinking I could fit more on the layout with this scale, what are your thoughts on this? Should I go with TT:120 or stick with 00? I did also think of N gauge but decided it would be too small to build and use for myself.

Also the theme I am thinking of is around 1990s, last part of BR based on the ECML (spent many of time going on the ECML with my parents visiting family around this time). 

Hope you all can help or advise which direction I should go with.

• RMweb Premium

TT:120 has obvious size benefits, but the selection of UK outline stock is very limited compared with OO or N, and will remain so for some years at least. So it really depends on how much you want to model a specific time/place, if you're set on 1990s ECML then there should be an HST in TT:120 in the next year or two, not much else that would be usable. 

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I agree, if you want to model the recent ECML then you are talking Class 91+Mk4s and HSTs for your expresses.

In N that would be Dapol for the HST and secondhand Farish for the 91 and the Mk4s and they do look very dated now being old Farish mouldings.

Then depending on which end of the EMCL you want to model you need to consider units - there is the 313 unit coming from RevolutioN for the London end but no 365s or suchlike for the longer distance stoppers.  Further north you can get 142, 150, 156 and 158 from Dapol and Farish.

In OO the models are much more recent but will be a lot lot longer, you can get a very nice 91 and Mk4s from Hornby, a very nice HST from Hornby, the 158 is a recent re-release from Bachmann and there are 150s and 156s from Bachmann and RealTrack, your 142/43/44 also coming from RealTrack.  But still no units for the southern end of the railway so you need to be modelling north from Peterborough.

• Like 1

Everything that @spamcan61  and  @woodenhead is completely valid but you have not said what part of the ECML you would be basing your layout on. There is a difference between various parts of the line.: inner suburban, outer suburban, cross country (Peterborough, Doncaster, York).

Hornby's programme for TT:120 for the next few years has been announced so unless another manufacturer enters the market, practically any location in the UK, apart from sites with Cl08 and/or Cl66 will be impossible to model.

The big problem with OO is the length of trains such as HST's or Cl91's +Mk 4's. N gauge is the obvious way forward but it might be too small to handle for you and your daughters.

• Like 1

One more thought, ECML 1990s sounds more like a layout based on your wants and needs than your daughters.

If you want them to be interested then you need to gather their thoughts on what would interest them and get them engaged.

It might surprise you what they would want out of the layout and give you a clear insight into what to build.

You never know they may like the idea of the ECML but a bit further into the past - then TT120 becomes a possibility.

It may be they don't want to be constrained by a particular line and to run stuff for fun over fidelity, again, TT120 may deliver here because Hornby will be building a variety of models not just ECML express engines.

But to go down a fidelity route specifc to the ECML in the 1990s you might find a dead end if you pick the wrong scale/location, for what is currently available I would say OO is the best route for that, but the two main trains will really dominate the space available, see what this chap is doing bearing in mind this is the extended for exhibition version but that is a one coach short full Mk4 rake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of diesel locos planned for phases 3 and 4 — including classes 31, 37, 47, 60 — but it's not clear when these will come out. We know, for example, that an 0-6-0 is currently at the tooling stage (so not the 08) and both of those proposed (57xx and J94) are phase 4, whereas tooling for the "Duchess" (phase 2) has not yet begun. So the order may well be different from that originally envisaged.

It would therefore be feasible to model the ECML in the pre-electrification period, so long as you avoided the southern part of the line. But not in the 1990s—in either TT:120 or N.

• Like 1

The spaces you describe are  pretty tight for OO in any form , and big modern stuff is going to look very ungainly going round them. Most modern OO requires an absolute minimum 18" radius, and 24" radius in OO is normally regarded as the minimum for credibility on main running lines.

In the context of attempting a double track continuous circuit in OO on a 4' wide board you are immediately in trouble

More serious is the fact that Mk4 coaches are 12" long in 4mm, and a class 91 or a DVT is about 10-11" long. There is no way you can get an ECML formation of 91 + 9 x Mk4 x DVT , or anything close , in that space. In OO it would be tight for a little country branch line worked by tank engines and 2 coaches 

I also think 4' width is way too wide to be reaching across to get at the back of the board. Alarm bells would start ringing in my head about accessiblity at the back once the baseboard width starts to go beyond 2'6"

I don't think you can do the theme you want in 4mm in the space you have . Therefore you have to go into a smaller scale , or do something very different in 4mm

Your options in a smaller scale are therefore TT-120 or N. Now while I'm supportive of TT-120 as an intermediate size, Hornby have not expressed any intention to do any overhead electric stuff in TT:120. To be frank, anything 25kV is normally at the end of the list when RTR manufacturers are deciding what to make , in any scale. 

Once Hornby's list of announced models p;lays out, some representation of the pre-electrification ECML is possible -  you will have HSTs and 47s in TT:120. Ideally you'd want Deltics too.

Now there should be a route to a Deltic in TT:120. It would invlove getting Lincoln Locos to shrink their 3D printed Deltic in 3mm scale  down to 1:120 scale - something Lenny Seeney has said he would be open to doing for anything he makes in 3mm. You would then need to disembowel a Hornby 37 (when it appears in TT:120) and reuse the bogies/gear tower and motor in a new longer frame , with longer drive shafts, to build a home brew Deltic chassis (EE bogies for 37 and 55 were basically the same) . That is a possible route to a Deltic in TT:120, but I really don't think it's a project for someone new to the hobby.

But at that point you would have HST, 55, 47 in TT , with Mk3 and Mk2E/F coaches. Something could be done.

However the post electrification era ECML looks very difficult in TT:120. Lincoln Locos do an astonishingly large number of loco types , but they don't do a 91. You'd still have to construct a chassis /mechanism for it, with fewer resources as Hornby's diesel announcements in TT:120 are almost all Co-Co. And you'd need them in squadron service. One is not enough

If you want to model the electrified ECML in that space , N may be your only option

One further issue - the ECML notoriously was electrified on the cheap using overhead suspended from wire headspans . Catenery is always an issue (one reason why 25kV is a modelling poor relation) but I really wouldn't want to be scratchbuilding wire headspans at either 1:120 or 1:148 scale

It may be all you can do about the overhead is erect the masts on each side and leave the wires to the imagination

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Everything that @spamcan61  and  @woodenhead is completely valid but you have not said what part of the ECML you would be basing your layout on. There is a difference between various parts of the line.: inner suburban, outer suburban, cross country (Peterborough, Doncaster, York).

Hornby's programme for TT:120 for the next few years has been announced so unless another manufacturer enters the market, practically any location in the UK, apart from sites with Cl08 and/or Cl66 will be impossible to model.

The big problem with OO is the length of trains such as HST's or Cl91's +Mk 4's. N gauge is the obvious way forward but it might be too small to handle for you and your daughters.

Not quite true - Classes 31, 37, 47, 50 are also on Hornby's list (as is the Azuma) and ALD have announced a cottage production 25.

But none of those help with modelling the ECML post 91 , bar the Azuma

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ironically, if I recall, Cavalex had planned the class 91 and mark 4 coaches in both OO and N, but the subsequent announcement of the Hornby versions killed off the OO version, and nothing's been heard about the N gauge version since. If you want to model the ECML in either TT:120 or N, I think you will need to model either an earlier period, or the current to recent period (Azumas are, or will be, available in both scales.

An ECML in the HST era should be possible in both TT:120 or N, provided you avoid the electrified area in those periods, particularly in TT:120—some but not all of the EMUs are planned in N gauge.

• Like 1

Q1. 8ft x 5ft with well, definitely. It’s more practical, and one you are inside the doughnut, it looks bigger, because you can’t see it all at once.

Q2. I think i’d go for 00, because daughters grow up, progressively moving onto different interests, faster than TT120 is expected to progress to a wide range, and second hand 00 is plentiful.

Personally, I would focus more on what is going to engage the offspring, rather than your own tastes, although it’s always nice when they coincide.

I’d also leave some “free play” area, where the children can compose their own track layouts, rather than nailing everything down solid, because they’ll enjoy the creativity. Maybe fix down the basic circuits, but give them opportunity to make sidings.

One thing my daughter was always heavily into was imbuing little figures with character, and making up l0ng complex narratives, so a people-focus, rather than a thing-focus, which is why we went for playmobil trains rather than smaller, and how my vintage 0 gauge became inhabited by Lego figures. Even now she’s a proto-teenager we have great fun creating Christmas villages on the lounge floor, with me doing the trains and her doing the people. You may find that your daughters will value the little people.

Stand by to create a unicorn-themed castle over the tunnel!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

One more thought, ECML 1990s sounds more like a layout based on your wants and needs than your daughters.

If you want them to be interested then you need to gather their thoughts on what would interest them and get them engaged.

It might surprise you what they would want out of the layout and give you a clear insight into what to build.

You never know they may like the idea of the ECML but a bit further into the past - then TT120 becomes a possibility.

It may be they don't want to be constrained by a particular line and to run stuff for fun over fidelity, again, TT120 may deliver here because Hornby will be building a variety of models not just ECML express engines.

But to go down a fidelity route specifc to the ECML in the 1990s you might find a dead end if you pick the wrong scale/location, for what is currently available I would say OO is the best route for that, but the two main trains will really dominate the space available, see what this chap is doing bearing in mind this is the extended for exhibition version but that is a one coach short full Mk4 rake.

I have not thought about it in this way before and certainly makes it a lot more simpler, I'll ask them and see what they say. I know my eldest likes Scotsman, Mallard and more recently a trip down to London she really liked the Azuma she travelled on so I am thinking a mix of trains/locos and rolling stock based on their views might be the way forward. Thanks for the tip. 

2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

The spaces you describe are  pretty tight for OO in any form , and big modern stuff is going to look very ungainly going round them. Most modern OO requires an absolute minimum 18" radius, and 24" radius in OO is normally regarded as the minimum for credibility on main running lines.

In the context of attempting a double track continuous circuit in OO on a 4' wide board you are immediately in trouble

More serious is the fact that Mk4 coaches are 12" long in 4mm, and a class 91 or a DVT is about 10-11" long. There is no way you can get an ECML formation of 91 + 9 x Mk4 x DVT , or anything close , in that space. In OO it would be tight for a little country branch line worked by tank engines and 2 coaches 

I also think 4' width is way too wide to be reaching across to get at the back of the board. Alarm bells would start ringing in my head about accessiblity at the back once the baseboard width starts to go beyond 2'6"

I don't think you can do the theme you want in 4mm in the space you have . Therefore you have to go into a smaller scale , or do something very different in 4mm

Your options in a smaller scale are therefore TT-120 or N. Now while I'm supportive of TT-120 as an intermediate size, Hornby have not expressed any intention to do any overhead electric stuff in TT:120. To be frank, anything 25kV is normally at the end of the list when RTR manufacturers are deciding what to make , in any scale. 

Once Hornby's list of announced models p;lays out, some representation of the pre-electrification ECML is possible -  you will have HSTs and 47s in TT:120. Ideally you'd want Deltics too.

Now there should be a route to a Deltic in TT:120. It would invlove getting Lincoln Locos to shrink their 3D printed Deltic in 3mm scale  down to 1:120 scale - something Lenny Seeney has said he would be open to doing for anything he makes in 3mm. You would then need to disembowel a Hornby 37 (when it appears in TT:120) and reuse the bogies/gear tower and motor in a new longer frame , with longer drive shafts, to build a home brew Deltic chassis (EE bogies for 37 and 55 were basically the same) . That is a possible route to a Deltic in TT:120, but I really don't think it's a project for someone new to the hobby.

But at that point you would have HST, 55, 47 in TT , with Mk3 and Mk2E/F coaches. Something could be done.

However the post electrification era ECML looks very difficult in TT:120. Lincoln Locos do an astonishingly large number of loco types , but they don't do a 91. You'd still have to construct a chassis /mechanism for it, with fewer resources as Hornby's diesel announcements in TT:120 are almost all Co-Co. And you'd need them in squadron service. One is not enough

If you want to model the electrified ECML in that space , N may be your only option

One further issue - the ECML notoriously was electrified on the cheap using overhead suspended from wire headspans . Catenery is always an issue (one reason why 25kV is a modelling poor relation) but I really wouldn't want to be scratchbuilding wire headspans at either 1:120 or 1:148 scale

It may be all you can do about the overhead is erect the masts on each side and leave the wires to the imagination

Some fair comments there, the lack of available stock in TT:120 is going to be an issue if I got for ECML in the 90s, even if I do it after privatisation in the later half of the 90s with GNER etc. Also like you say length of trains is an issue too, something I am going to have to think about.

14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Q1. 8ft x 5ft with well, definitely. It’s more practical, and one you are inside the doughnut, it looks bigger, because you can’t see it all at once.

Q2. I think i’d go for 00, because daughters grow up, progressively moving onto different interests, faster than TT120 is expected to progress to a wide range, and second hand 00 is plentiful.

Personally, I would focus more on what is going to engage the offspring, rather than your own tastes, although it’s always nice when they coincide.

I’d also leave some “free play” area, where the children can compose their own track layouts, rather than nailing everything down solid, because they’ll enjoy the creativity. Maybe fix down the basic circuits, but give them opportunity to make sidings.

One thing my daughter was always heavily into was imbuing little figures with character, and making up l0ng complex narratives, so a people-focus, rather than a thing-focus, which is why we went for playmobil trains rather than smaller, and how my vintage 0 gauge became inhabited by Lego figures. Even now she’s a proto-teenager we have great fun creating Christmas villages on the lounge floor, with me doing the trains and her doing the people. You may find that your daughters will value the little people.

Stand by to create a unicorn-themed castle over the tunnel!

Yeah I am inclined to go with the 8ft x 5ft option too, yeah its a fair point you mention about going 00 as their interests move on however I know they like Mallard, Scotsman and Azuma (as mentioned above) and I think these are available in TT120. But then on the other hand the 00 second hand market is more broad and my daughters will have more choice.

Good tip on the free play and people focus narratives, can totally relate to that and this might give me something to work with, as @woodenheadsaid above its worth me asking their thoughts on what they'd, I can also change the layout if their interests change later.

Haha a unicorn themed castle layout!

4 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

TT:120 has obvious size benefits, but the selection of UK outline stock is very limited compared with OO or N, and will remain so for some years at least. So it really depends on how much you want to model a specific time/place, if you're set on 1990s ECML then there should be an HST in TT:120 in the next year or two, not much else that would be usable. 

I think I will move away from the specific 1990s ECML theme layout and see what my daughters would like from the layout, I think this will make it easier to pick which gauge to go for. 00 does have advantages in 2nd hand market though. hmmmm

3 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

It would be more late 1990s, that era of just after privatisation, apologies wasn't clear on that earlier. I was thinking the most southern part of the ECML. KGX to PBO as my inspiration. I think N would be too small for my daughter (I think I would be fine with it) but just don't want them to loose interest early on if its too small to enjoy.

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Ironically, if I recall, Cavalex had planned the class 91 and mark 4 coaches in both OO and N, but the subsequent announcement of the Hornby versions killed off the OO version, and nothing's been heard about the N gauge version since. If you want to model the ECML in either TT:120 or N, I think you will need to model either an earlier period, or the current to recent period (Azumas are, or will be, available in both scales.

An ECML in the HST era should be possible in both TT:120 or N, provided you avoid the electrified area in those periods, particularly in TT:120—some but not all of the EMUs are planned in N gauge.

Yeah thanks for advice, like you say I may have to go earlier or more modern era eg Azuma etc which will work on tt120 

If its a parent and kids layout then a flat table, 8X 5 with a hole et,c and loco or two and some stock, a couple of controllers a pile of set track and their imagination is the way I would play it.  Ring the changes track plan wise as the fancy takes you.   In many ways TT120 is approx twice the price of 00.  Like a basic bottom of the range shunter is about £118 against under £50 for 00,  and the TT120 one available sometime in the future against three day delivery for 00 on eBay.    If you want ECML in 8 X 5 you are looking at N gauge realistically.  After the playing trains on the table phase the kids will have left home and you can build a proper layout with floor to ceiling scenery like the Gorre and Daphetid in their bedroom, or build a 24 X 8 stable in the garden and build your dream layout there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCB said:

If its a parent and kids layout then a flat table, 8X 5 with a hole et,c and loco or two and some stock, a couple of controllers a pile of set track and their imagination is the way I would play it.  Ring the changes track plan wise as the fancy takes you.   In many ways TT120 is approx twice the price of 00.  Like a basic bottom of the range shunter is about £118 against under £50 for 00,  and the TT120 one available sometime in the future against three day delivery for 00 on eBay.    If you want ECML in 8 X 5 you are looking at N gauge realistically.  After the playing trains on the table phase the kids will have left home and you can build a proper layout with floor to ceiling scenery like the Gorre and Daphetid in their bedroom, or build a 24 X 8 stable in the garden and build your dream layout there.

It's a bit disingenuous to compare new TT120 prices with secondhand OO - it's not like for like.

Yes you can buy secondhand, save money and it is an option for the OP, but the lower you go on price the older or less reliable the item in question wil be.  The OP's skill a getting an old model working like new then becomes part of the equation, troublesome locos will not be a fun factor for the kids.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To recreate the 1990s ECML in TT120 I think you'll be waiting several years for the models. At least with N Gauge you'd eventually be able to track down the models needed.

17 hours ago, Delorean1984 said:

I think N would be too small for my daughter (I think I would be fine with it) but just don't want them to loose interest early on if its too small to enjoy.

Can I suggest you and your daughter spend some time with an N Gauge layout before dismissing it - my seven year old is quite capable of putting trains on the track and running them. Perhaps not as play friendly as OO Gauge but certainly possible. Lego mini-figures site quite nicely in a n gauge open wagon!

18 hours ago, Delorean1984 said:

Haha a unicorn themed castle layout!

That's why T-TRAK was invented!

Steven B.

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's a bit disingenuous to compare new TT120 prices with secondhand OO - it's not like for like.

Yes you can buy secondhand, save money and it is an option for the OP, but the lower you go on price the older or less reliable the item in question wil be.  The OP's skill a getting an old model working like new then becomes part of the equation, troublesome locos will not be a fun factor for the kids.

Virtually all my stock is second hand. I have locos from the 1970s which, after a basic service, run smoothly and reliably. On balance I'd say that my older locos run better than my Chinese ones.

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

There are no Hornby TT120 locos available as I write,  apart from a couple of A3s and possibly some big Diesels.  Cheapest loco is £102.  The only basic shunter, the 08, is pre order and  is £118.   Cheapest 00 is Smoky Joe at 49.99 and is available from a vast  range of suppliers brand new and ready to shunt.    TT120 is for the toy market, like Hornby Dublo and  H0rnby were pre war, niche, Dublo was 2 locos for several years, peaked out at about a dozen locos.    Also Triang TT was about a dozen locos, and  building a representative layout involved  a lot of kit building.  Luckily an 0-6-0 chassis was available        TT120 at least has continental outline locos available for scratch builders and with a squint and a splash of Matt Black paint a German 4-6-0 might pass for a Black 5, but for several years TT120 will be for kids and scratch builders, the average modeller used to buying UK stuff RTR is stuck with 00 and N for the forseeable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Interesting question but in reality only you can answer it.

In terms of stock, it's a fairly clear win for 00, which has most of what you want available now for 1990s ECML including recent Class 91/Mk4 stock and HSTs, along with most diesel classes you might need.   Units (Class 313 for southern end, 321 around Doncaster) are a little more of a drought.  Freight is reasonably straightforward with more or less options depending where you're depicting.  The obvious gap is the Plasmoor blockfreight converted VCAs with mesh sides and (I think) the PAA sand wagons.

At the moment there is little in TT:120 however if you're OK to be slightly more flexible with your eras then as has been said then ECML is catered for with all the first releases, and Hornby have an HST and Azuma in development.  The big gap is of course the 91 and Mk4s, and I have not seen any hint from Hornby that these will be coming.   Freight is harder, but it is worth bearing in mind that the first Class 66s arrived in 1998 so are within your frame of reference and may be a good starting point.  I suspect there will be more rolling stock support for TT:120 as it grows too.

However, as you have identified railway modelling can be about much more than just trains (which is why I have always preferred N) and in TT you can either get more in, or get the same amount in but make it look much more spacious and realistic than 00.   

Are your daughters mad on trains, or more likely to want to help with modelling the wider world - trees, houses, farms, animals etc?  If the latter then I'd have thought TT is the way to go.

Good luck and enjoy!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think we are all of the same mind . If you want something now or in the near future it has to be OO

I'm interested in TT:120 but I am looking to the BR Blue period . The 08 is due in 3 months , I think the HST by end of year but the 37 and 47 are only in Phase 3 and 4 , so I think thats a good 3-4 years away .  While there is huge potential in TT:120 if you wait until all you need is available your daughters will all be grown up !

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think we are all of the same mind . If you want something now or in the near future it has to be OO

I'm interested in TT:120 but I am looking to the BR Blue period . The 08 is due in 3 months , I think the HST by end of year but the 37 and 47 are only in Phase 3 and 4 , so I think thats a good 3-4 years away .  While there is huge potential in TT:120 if you wait until all you need is available your daughters will all be grown up !

I'm stuck to N for the forseeable, but maybe in time I might have to consider something in between N and OO.

So I guess when that time arrives I have the option of mopping up secondhand and new TT120. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I'm stuck to N for the forseeable, but maybe in time I might have to consider something in between N and OO.

So I guess when that time arrives I have the option of mopping up secondhand and new TT120. 

Which is a good point . At the moment there really isn't a second hand market in TT:120 , its too new , but you can probably pick up good quality less expensive items for your layout in OO