Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Don’t think 60062 got to Lackenby in its current livery. The Jarrow runs again but it’s a Colas job and is usually a 70

Not my pic and a bit dark, but looks like it may have

60062 'Sonia'

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, newbryford said:

DB have just withdrawn their final 60s from use this week....

It would seem, from WNXX, that DB Cargo parking up their 60s might be down to another reason;

“…they are not currently dispensed with but are not being used at the moment. It transpires an issue has been discovered with 60062, undergoing a B exam at Toton, which has caused the stopping of 60024 & 60074.”

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 4630 said:

It would seem, from WNXX, that DB Cargo parking up their 60s might be down to another reason;

“…they are not currently dispensed with but are not being used at the moment. It transpires an issue has been discovered with 60062, undergoing a B exam at Toton, which has caused the stopping of 60024 & 60074.”

I would probably refrain from copying information from WNXX considering it's a subscription based website. The news section is not free. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pre-order made for 60 062 sound fitted. Bit of a risk given that final price is TBC and the £30 deposit is non-refundable. I don't see why they can't give the price given that all the others in the range are known.

6 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Pre-order made for 60 062 sound fitted. Bit of a risk given that final price is TBC and the £30 deposit is non-refundable. I don't see why they can't give the price given that all the others in the range are known.

It may or may not be extra, however the paint scheme requires a different decorating process and at this point we are in discussion with the factory whether this will incur extra costs to produce. Once we know the process costs we will be able to give an accurate figure. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RBE said:

It may or may not be extra, however the paint scheme requires a different decorating process and at this point we are in discussion with the factory whether this will incur extra costs to produce. Once we know the process costs we will be able to give an accurate figure. 

As long as its nor Banksy doing each one freehand or a lot of our houses will be up for grabs

8 hours ago, 4630 said:

they doing something with the class 66 i think re gearing some of them to make them similar to freightliner,   they are to do job of the 60s

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

they doing something with the class 66 i think re gearing some of them to make them similar to freightliner,   they are to do job of the 60s

Yeah that's correct however it isn't going to work. You'll just have a train that a 60 can do with it's feet up vs a train that a regeared 66 is thrashing it's knackers off to move.

Oh well.

Edited by RBE
  • Agree 8

3 minutes ago, RBE said:

Yeah that's correct however it isn't going to work. You'll just have a train that a 60 can do with it's feet up vs a train that a regeared 66 is thrashing it's knackers off to move.

Oh well.

is it because they going mad with this hivo or what ever it called bio fuel?

3 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

is it because they going mad with this hivo or what ever it called bio fuel?

Well it's because the bean counters have decided that the 66 costs less to operate however they are not taking into account the full story regarding the 60 and how efficiently it can operate, so quite sad really. 

• Agree 5

23 minutes ago, RBE said:

Well it's because the bean counters have decided that the 66 costs less to operate however they are not taking into account the full story regarding the 60 and how efficiently it can operate, so quite sad really. 

I suppose no owner or operating company is going to publish running costs and reliability figures, but I bet it would make interesting reading how the updated DB 60s have compared to their 66s, as well as DCR. It’s not like 66s don’t fail sometimes. Will be very interesting to see what GBRf plan to do with their stash of 60s at Loughborough/Longport.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, RBE said:

I think you are overlooking the fact , I believe they are still paying leases for 66s . The 60s cost nothing, inherited from BR. So would you rather have an asset costing , say, £25k a month ( absolute guess , I have no idea on train lease costs ) working , or let it rot and still pay that much .

I don’t think that’s “ bean counters “ gone mad, I think it’s common sense .

13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I think you are overlooking the fact , I believe they are still paying leases for 66s . The 60s cost nothing, inherited from BR. So would you rather have an asset costing , say, £25k a month ( absolute guess , I have no idea on train lease costs ) working , or let it rot and still pay that much .

I don’t think that’s “ bean counters “ gone mad, I think it’s common sense .

Who's suggesting letting 66s rot? Just quoting what the chap who oversaw the refitting of the 60s for DCR said. He is an ex employee of DB. 

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Gold

I wonder when a Transrail version will be announced by Cavalex?

Certainly will be ordering one when it is announced.

Preferably 60035 'Florence Nightingale'.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
Rewording..
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, RBE said:

Er, right there , I think . What’s the full story then if the 60 costs nothing but the 66 costs a lot ?

3 hours ago, 46444 said:

I wonder who will produce a Transrail version?

Certainly will be ordering one when it is announced.

Preferably 60035 'Florence Nightingale'.

Cheers,

Mark

Well I’d be hoping for cavalex , as the alternative is Hornby and they’ll f*vk up the paint job as they  before with three tone grey 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Er, right there , I think . What’s the full story then if the 60 costs nothing but the 66 costs a lot ?

The 60s don't cost nothing though, they have gotten to a point where some investment is necessary to do a proper overhaul but DB aren't willing to pay the costs and do the work.

The 60 can out perform 66's all day long and according to the chap at DCR is more fuel economical as well. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

If you own something outright (A) - the running costs are basically fuel/maintenance.

If you lease something (B) the running costs are fuel/maintenance and lease fees.

So if you sideline B, you still have to pay the lease costs, yet it is earning nothing by sitting idle.

If you sideline A, then you pay nothing. And it is earning nothing by sitting idle. (Yes, there may be costs when it has to be reinstated after sitting idle for some time, but I'm not an accountant)

As for other users (than DB) with 60s. the Hornby mag interview with the DCR engineer is suggesting that they are planning on a 15-year usage (although 10 years is the anticipated payback time) with the "Super-60" upgrade and they are looking at bring 60099 back into service soon.

IIRC, the first "super 60 was completed in 2011 and many of them are coming round for another tranche of investment with heavy overhaul.

Even now, the Mirrlees lump is one of the most fuel-efficient prime movers around. Hence why some 60s were given the super 60 upgrade to take over trains that required pairs of 66s.

The Tunstead-Lostock trains that have been the last vetsiges of DB workings are now dropping from 24-20 wagons with 66s, with the result being that almost another train per day is required to make up the shortfall.

I wonder if DB will see the error of their ways in the coming months. Unless the regear program proves otherwise/

Anyway - back to the model topic.

Another one of my layout team has ordered 60062 as well, as his fiancée is called Sonia.

p.s. #60lover......

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Very tempted by Brunel.

The spec says centre axles are floating. Does this mean they are unpowered and the model is effectively an a-1-a? Or are they powered and floating?

If it is the same as the 56, which has a floating/unpowered axle then 

don't let that put you off as the 56 that was lent to me was extremely sure footed.

I would consider that my track is reasonably well laid, and the 56 glides over it, whereas the fixed/powered centre axles of the others are a tiny bit lumpy ovet a couple of joints.

All you loose by having a floating centre is the weight of two axles,  nothing more, unless there is downward springing

Concentrating the rest of the weight on 4 powered axles is actually better than spreading it out over 6.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1