Genetically Modified (GM) – Accurascale Takes Route 66 With Latest Locomotive Release in 00/4mm!

9 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I don't think it matters now if Bachmann have already done certain locos. The Bachmann model is very dated and not up to current standards. It even has painted on sidelights! The tooling must be around 20 years old.

I rarely run mine now as my Hattons ones look so much better, even with their slight livery errors.

Anyway, another colourful contender could be yellow/blue 66708. Don't think anyone has done this one.

I agree. I have 2 Bachmann ones and TBH they ain’t really up to it anymore , apart from being indifferent runners not helped by Hornbys happy shopper TTS chip . I imagine Accura will do all the “ popular “ saleable liveries again . I’m old , so EWS suits me just fine and maybe some original freight liner ones inc 66/6 .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I agree. I have 2 Bachmann ones and TBH they ain’t really up to it anymore , apart from being indifferent runners not helped by Hornbys happy shopper TTS chip . I imagine Accura will do all the “ popular “ saleable liveries again . I’m old , so EWS suits me just fine and maybe some original freight liner ones inc 66/6 .

Hi Rob,

Your post touches something we were discussing over our tea break the other day actually, and something that would be cool to hear about from modellers; 

Is EWS livery now becoming a nostalgic favourite? Triple grey has become that way (especially among ourselves in recent years!) so as the march of time progresses we get closer to the launch of EWS. The original shadow freight franchises are 30 years old this year too.

Will enthusiasts become nostalgic for 66s? I have to say I always liked a Freightliner green Fred personally, and before the EWS maroon dulled, it looked really smart on the 66s too. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Will enthusiasts become nostalgic for 66s? 

They already are !

EWS will become a popular livery once its faded away, but it needs to go, in order for people to want it back.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

Your post touches something we were discussing over our tea break the other day actually, and something that would be cool to hear about from modellers; 

Is EWS livery now becoming a nostalgic favourite? Triple grey has become that way (especially among ourselves in recent years!) so as the march of time progresses we get closer to the launch of EWS. The original shadow freight franchises are 30 years old this year too.

Will enthusiasts become nostalgic for 66s? I have to say I always liked a Freightliner green Fred personally, and before the EWS maroon dulled, it looked really smart on the 66s too. 

Cheers!

Fran 

I think EWS is a key and much loved livery in general (at least for me!) but it is still around so not sure it can be quite classed as nostalgic (just) yet!

However, if you are modelling the last 20+ years and don’t have an EWS 66? It just simply doesn’t add up! 😅

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Is EWS livery now becoming a nostalgic favourite?

Good morning Fran,

I have to say EWS & EW&S as it began was a favourite from the word go. I absolutely loved the way it sat on everything that carried it 37's,47's,60's & 86's being my personal favourites. I think it's probably the only livery that even looked great on rolling stock too! The coaches that carried it & indeed the multitude of wagons. I can't say I'll ever feel nostalgic for 66's but certainly the livery is a firm lifetime favourite for me. 

I think anyone born in the very late 80's/early 90's who saw this livery when it was first applied will probably all have some happy memories of their favourite loco types wearing it. I think if the geniuses you work with decided to release 37's of all flavours in EWS... you'd be fully sold out very quickly again 😉 

Keep up the sensational work & many thanks.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, big jim said:

already done by Bachmann for Olivia’s trains 

ive been wracking my brains as to what ‘colourful’ might mean, first thought was something GBRf but I can’t think of anything that’s not already been done other than the revised 66718 black ‘london scenes’ loco 

Evening Star has already been done but it hasn't put off Team AS. I reckon the GBRf Rainbow 66720  livery which was only ever released as a Ltd edition.

Edited by Mooresby
  • Agree 4

As someone who doesn’t have half of the Bachmann limited editions such as the TFL ones or 66720 or 66111 among others I would actually welcome AS doing these to there standard as I’d be able to get hold of them, I think the sale values on eBay show there is a demand and I like to see the bubble being burst on those trying to sell them for so much!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I would absolutely say so Fran! 

I'm 37 and my childhood trainspotting memories involve boat-fresh EWS '66's arriving - gleaming red paintwork, luscious shiny black underframes and bright rust-coloured wheels, beautiful and a real nostalgia trip modelling them now!

I'm amazed that EWS livery is still as extant on the prototypes even in 2024, that must rival or possibly even exceed BR Blue and BR Large Logo in terms of how long a livery hung around, en masse, after being declared obsolete by its owner. I think that because EWS has lasted so long that it is seen by many as more of a 'current' livery but it's 26 years since first applied to a '66', time plays tricks on the mind! 

I can see why so many enthusiasts in the generation before me disliked them with the usual phrases of the 'Red Death' or the 'American Invasion' as it brought the end to numerous vulnerable ex-BR loco classes, but at the same time, I always had a soft spot for the GMs and it was always fun and subversive for a youngster to love a '66' whilst the older guys hated them 😂 

Then as time passed the 66s just became a dominating part of the scene, there are very few layouts set in the last 26 years that can't justify a red & gold 66, they are still everywhere - but even now when I encounter a faded red and tatty EWS 66, I think back to the times when I saw it while new and gleaming - the nostalgia is very strong!

Cheers,

James

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Think that’s meant to be ”and I guess it's spurred on here by the "Accurascale Exclusives" box for 66001” 

John S

P.S.  Fran has amended - vey quickly indeed!

Edited by it's-er
Update
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

Cheers!

Fran 

I guess modelling often goes in waves of nostalgia . I came back to having a chuff chuff interest because I saw a EWS painted 60 and wondered what happened to all the blue ? This was 96 and the interest hasn’t left me since although it ebbs and flows. Then came the 66s and of course the line at the time was that they would co exist beside the 56s;58s: 37s and 60s - competition wiped that out .

Now they the EWS sheds have been with us since 98 they have played a hobby background to half my life - half that saw a marriage, 2 kids , a career on the up…so my memories are kinda woven into that as well…and I’ve got to the age where 1996-2006 was probably my finest times and the world seemed a lot more appealing than it does now ! So the 66s are far from my favourite loco but an unavoidable part of the rich tapestry of life .

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, it's-er said:

Think that’s meant to be ”and I guess it's spurred on here by the "Accurascale Exclusives" box for 66001” 

John S

Doh, thanks John! Can I blame "first week back" syndrome?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

20240111_132827.jpg.ace5669a9c5a637482bd9663408c8779.jpg

By eck! That EWS box is stunning! Goes back to my earlier point that the livery sat so well on everything..  even a box it would seem! Really looking forward to seeing the box for 66004 in Green now... not a 66 fan but mighty glad I've ordered one after seeing this 😀 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran 

i  model modern 2023/2024 so ews is out of my era,  i do love the class 66, like how they sound from standing start to when they get going

i always loved the green and yellow on freightliner 66s tho gbrf now have some nice livery's including BR  colours 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be honest i think you become locked to what you see as your interest in something blossoms,i remember when the steam and 9f haulage stopped to the steelworks the older guys just gave up as to them the diesel had no life or character of the steam train,who wants to take photos of that modern was the comment often heard.Will be the same for most as the railways progressed and the modern liverys seem to have spurred on the young to follow them,like or loath the 66 its reliable and doing the job in hand mostly alone and has far exceded the life of some of the earlier locomotives now with some looking unsure to run again and stripped for parts.Its progress.................

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WCML100 said:

However, if you are modelling the last 20+ years and don’t have an EWS 66? It just simply doesn’t add up! 😅

Even the die hard Preservation scene modeller can justify a bit of red and gold! I remember seeing a picture of an EWS Class 66 and 67 with a load of Seacows at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway back in the early 2000’s. So anything is possible 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1