The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

34 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Just to be absolutely clear, the Buckjumpers will be range locomotives in as many variations as needed; they are definitely not a one run wonder. There are already plans for the second and third run locomotives, and further runs will be forthcoming as long as the demand remains.

Thanks Paul, I will wait patiently for a second run and 68619 will have to haul the tram car until then! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Andy, 

Are you thinking of 68619 that Accurascale are to produce ? 

68616 was a regular on the Tollesbury branch and WOULD BE VERY EXCELLENT NEWS IF ACCURASCALE CAN ADD THIS TO THE INITIAL RELEASES. 

Rob.

Thanks Rob, yes, got my 9 upside-down!! Should have read 68619. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Islesy said:

Happy to agree with you @Daddymanthe chimney base does need some minor adjustments to get the right look for a Cowlairs type base, and the mod has already been made ahead of tooling.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 22.28.38.png

Good to hear, thanks. I wonder if, at the same time, you could change the identity of the chosen model and do a 10-spoke shunter instead? 15-spoke locos were very rare in Scotland - so rare that I can't find another one (other than the Lauder ones, though they are of course different from the model in many respects - not least of which are the tenders!). There would therefore be no renumbering options and one would be stuck with a Dundee loco; surely some of the Edinburgh 10-spokers would have more appeal, and more renumbering options?   

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

thanks. I wonder if, at the same time, you could change the identity of the chosen model and do a 10-spoke shunter instead?

I’m afraid not, this particular locomotive was chosen for various reasons, including availability of good photographic references, and it has since transpired that one particular customer of ours has strong personal links with the locomotive.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it’s worth mentioning that in later days quite a few J67/1, J67/2, J69/1 had 12 spoke cast iron wheels. These were used from the grouping on and noticeable on locos around Stratford in the ‘50’s.

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Islesy said:

I’m afraid not, this particular locomotive was chosen for various reasons, including availability of good photographic references, and it has since transpired that one particular customer of ours has strong personal links with the locomotive.

Thanks. Looks like the LNER-liveried one is a better base for Scottish locos then. Is it possible to change an order when I've chosen Partially? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks. Looks like the LNER-liveried one is a better base for Scottish locos then. Is it possible to change an order when I've chosen Partially? 

Hi @Daddyman,

No problem, just drop us an email support@accurascale.co.uk and we can help you out!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea of the cost, or viability of this, but is it possible to produce drop in wheel sets with the different number of spokes for those that wish for them?

I realise that this is highly unlikely as you probably won’t get the sales to justify it, but if you don’t ask…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Charlie said:

I have no idea of the cost, or viability of this, but is it possible to produce drop in wheel sets with the different number of spokes for those that wish for them?

I realise that this is highly unlikely as you probably won’t get the sales to justify it, but if you don’t ask…

It isn’t that simple Charlie (even allowing for the degree of engineering that’s needed for that to happen). The different wheel types are (broadly) associated with being passenger or goods versions, and so the physical differences between the types would render the model completely inaccurate.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 3

One Livery that would be fun to see in one of the later batches is the BR Departmental Livery. It's a bit more obscure but multiple J69's were in Departmental service. 
No.43 seems to have retained it's Early Crest but No.44 and 45 are pictured without. I'm sure concessions can be made about the placement of the number plate since it differs between 44 and 45. I can't quite tell where it's placed on No.43. 
All 3 Photographs are from the Yeadon's Guide. 

Dept 43.jpg

Dept 44 and 45.jpg

Dept 45.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Crouchja32,

Many thanks for the pics. You can rest assured that we have great plans for a wide range of livery and conditions of our buckjumpers over the coming years which we will cover. We do love the suggestions for future runs though, so please keep them coming.

The popularity of the locomotive so far on pre-order has blown us away, so thank you to everyone who has placed a pre-order so far. Retailers are reporting strong sales as we are also seeing direct. It’s certainly given us an appetite for more steam, and there might be some more brewing in the background.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

It’s certainly given us an appetite for more steam, and there might be some more brewing in the background.

Would be good to see more steam, particularly given the number of smaller prototypes that could probably work well with the Accurascale design philosophy.

Probably won't get one of these but the specs are promising!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Crouchja32,

Many thanks for the pics. You can rest assured that we have great plans for a wide range of livery and conditions of our buckjumpers over the coming years which we will cover. We do love the suggestions for future runs though, so please keep them coming.

The popularity of the locomotive so far on pre-order has blown us away, so thank you to everyone who has placed a pre-order so far. Retailers are reporting strong sales as we are also seeing direct. It’s certainly given us an appetite for more steam, and there might be some more brewing in the background.

Cheers!

Fran

If I may add my thrupence ha'penny, I think a big part of this is the wise choice to go with the pay-on-delivery model for pre-order, rather than the pay-now-delivery-later one. I always feel personally leery of giving over money for something that might not be available for years. Its not that I don't trust you Fran, its that as 2020 proved, best laid plans gang aft agley. Plus what happens if something happens on my end, or if I change my mind? What if the money is gone for good? Its so much easier to have a date to save for, rather than fretting about availability and checking for months on end. I do understand that as a small company Accurascale can't rely on future custom alone and not everyone who has pre-order will honour those orders. But I do feel much more relaxed knowing that should anything go horribly wrong I haven't damaged my savings too badly.

ScR

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

It’s certainly given us an appetite for more steam, and there might be some more brewing in the background.

That of course opens up the question of which ones ...

Whilst we all have our personal favourites, I would suggest you continue to concentrate on locos built in reasonable numbers which spanned the period pre-group through to BR, rotating releases through the Big Four, so next one LMS, perhaps something like a MR Johson 2F, then SR etc.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That of course opens up the question of which ones ...

Whilst we all have our personal favourites, I would suggest you continue to concentrate on locos built in reasonable numbers which spanned the period pre-group through to BR, rotating releases through the Big Four, so next one LMS, perhaps something like a MR Johson 2F, then SR etc.

If it's an LMS loco, one that's sure to fly of the shelves is a Stanier 8F!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We do love the suggestions for future runs though, so please keep them coming.

I've got some more I can suggest for sure. Some more unique than others.

First two are Wartime liveries, though the 2nd one is a bit more unique as the Bufferbeam (presumably both sides) has been painted white, for purposes listed alongside the image. 
The other 3 (There was a 4th one, Will follow it up in another post) are in hybrid LNER/BR Liveries with the BR Number either in BR Font or in LNER Font. Again some unique liveries that would be fun to see replicated on the models if they end up being done. 

All images are from Yeadon's Guide. 

8551 NE Black.jpg

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_E4886.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Crouchja32,

But please, not 68623, which I built from a Wills kit in c1970s!!

1245014690_IMG_20181230_1620012.jpg.305438428661f00be5602eb7c9f834be.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More suggestions you say, I definitely agree with other posters on one of the Colchester based locos that worked the Tollesbury light railway, an earlier version of 68619 and also one of the ex-WD industrial locos.

Screenshot_20230323-090946_Chrome.jpg

20230322_105803.jpg

Screenshot_20230318-145414_Chrome.jpg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, GM36 said:

More suggestions you say, I definitely agree with other posters on one of the Colchester based locos that worked the Tollesbury light railway, an earlier version of 68619 and also one of the ex-WD industrial locos.

Screenshot_20230323-090946_Chrome.jpg

20230322_105803.jpg

Screenshot_20230318-145414_Chrome.jpg

Never seen that Picture of BIS  No.1 before. I know that a lot of the WD ones went to Industry, two going to BIS, but the only ones I've been able to find images on have been the Metal Industries Ltd ones. Being 7054(1), 7056(2), 7058(4) and 7274 (1st No.3), 7167(2nd No.3 originally no.5)  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, scots region said:

I always feel personally leery of giving over money for something that might not be available for years. Its not that I don't trust you Fran, its that as 2020 proved, best laid plans gang aft agley. Plus what happens if something happens on my end, or if I change my mind? What if the money is gone for good? Its so much easier to have a date to save for, rather than fretting about availability and checking for months on end.

I completely agreed with you that in some circumstances people will want to pay on delivery. However I think one of Accurascales strengths is offering a payment option to suit everyone. Ranging from order now pay latter to pay now and sit back and wait for delivery. There’s also a few ways to spread the cost rather than pay it all in one go. From a personal standpoint I’d rather pay up front so I don’t get a nasty surprise when several things I’ve ordered all turn up in the same pay period. I find it much easier to budget if I pay for them as I order them. Some of the other manufacturers make you pay for things upfront whilst others offer no choice but to put your name down for it and stump up the cash when it turns up (that would be fine if they could reliably say exactly when that would be!). I much prefer the Accurascale way of offering a payment method to suit everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1