Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

For one thing the boiler will have been changed several times... but it has correctly the 4-column Ramsbottom safety valve arrangement in the casing and whistle just in advance of the front spectacle plate. The cab roof, 3-bar coal rails, Macallan variable blast pipe operating linkage, smokebox door, smooth smokebox wrapper and continuous handrail are all correctly reverted to the original. There's a rear 3/4 view No 85 on p96 of Yeadon volume 48.

Contemporary photographs, due to the nature of the film at that time, do not capture reds so the lining, coupling rods, buffers tocks and buffer beams appear grey. The GER transfers on the preserved example are not placed at quite the same spacing but are closer together. I believe that the painting specification/description is in the Locos section of the GERS website but am unable to check as it is down for an upgrade. The blue was quite translucent so its colour relied substantially on the colour of the undercoat, the number of coats, and the subsequent varnish, which imparted a slight yellowing and darkened further over time. With the S56 being in a large artificially lit shed it's nigh on impossible to see the correct colour as preserved, and then cameras add their own variation to the images.

DSC02366 (50%).jpg

Thanks but the main issue was the colour. The render of the forthcoming Locomotion model did not look like Ultramarine  Blue more as that applied to the Liverpool street pilot.

As I work on the basis if it looks wrong, it probably is, I asked the question and Paul confirmed that is in fact the case.  That was confirmation enough. Simplistic but in this case, correct. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks but the main issue was the colour. The render of the forthcoming Locomotion model did not look like Ultramarine  Blue more as that applied to the Liverpool street pilot.

As I work on the basis if it looks wrong, it probably is, I asked the question and Paul confirmed that is in fact the case.  That was confirmation enough. Simplistic but in this case, correct. 

Rob. 

You asked 'What, if any, are the differences then between as built and as preserved?' so not confined to the colour. If colour is only what you meant, then you should pose your question more precisely and not waste other folks time in providing you with a complete response - it will not happen again.

Apart from the spacing and other details relating to the lettering etc., there is no original livery finish with which to make accurate comparisons; the closest will be to replicate as far as possible the original GER specifications for the paint materials (it had an efficient laboratory) and method of application.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2023 at 16:23, NHY 581 said:

Thanks all for the confirmation. 

Can it be confirmed that No87 is to be released  in original form ( as built)  or as preserved ( with any in service mods ). 

I ask, details aside, as the blue on Locomotion's No87 looks more like that applied to Accurascale's Liverpool street pilot than their Ultramarine blue GER No.84. 

Rob  

On 01/12/2023 at 19:23, Islesy said:

It's in 'as preserved' condition @NHY 581 based on our surveys over the last couple of years at Bressingham.

All the best,

Paul

On 01/12/2023 at 21:06, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Paul. 

What, if any, are the differences then between as built and as preserved? 

Ideally, I'd like to run 87 along with 84 in a Great Eastern setting. 

Rob. 

On 01/12/2023 at 22:41, Islesy said:

It’ll need a complete repaint Rob - the current livery is Stratford’s version of the GER and it’s wrong in body colour, and lettering colour and shading.

On 02/12/2023 at 08:31, NHY 581 said:

Morning Paul. 

Thank you. That's how the graphic looked on the Locomotion website, closer to ( if not the same as ) your Liverpool street pilot. 

So, two '84's it is. 

Rob

2 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

You asked 'What, if any, are the differences then between as built and as preserved?' so not confined to the colour. If colour is only what you meant, then you should pose your question more precisely and not waste other folks time in providing you with a complete response - it will not happen again.

Before responding in such an abrupt and rude fashion I suggest you read through the above. 

My main issue was that of colour, a query responded to and adequately covered by Paul's replies. 

The fact that you chose to reply as you did is not down to me but simply down to your need to demonstrate your expertise and answer a question that wasn't being asked. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 04/10/2023 at 14:38, Accurascale said:

Brand New LNER J68 Exclusive Added To Our Line Up! 

0-g75(ACC2431LNERNo7027).jpg.ef05efe9188e290401ce0e3b1da4d1ee.jpg

Our first tank engine, the beautiful 'Buckjumpers', have been very well received since we announced them earlier this year at the London Festival of Modelling at Alexandra Palace.

This has gone up another level since we previewed our first tooling samples in late August, with the modelling public very much enjoying the first glimpse at the depth of our tooling suite, covering the wide variety of detailing differences among each loco.

j6911.jpg.41e3089d7b0bf1d643cb689450ab277b.jpg

But, some modellers felt that there was something missing. A small gap in our range. The lack of a later LNER liveried model.

Well, fear not. Here it is, due to popular demand, and another for our "Accurascale Exclusives" fleet!

HILL G75 (LNER J68) 0-6-0T No. 7027.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1573-2.jpg.738cfe4a53fa68e84b98177aad872b8c.jpg

The second batch of Hill’s ‘improved’ 0-6-0T locomotives, GER Nos.21-30 to Order G75, differed from the initial C72 order by being designated for shunting duties and differed in build accordingly. Sixteen spoke, unbalanced cast iron wheels were fitted, along with lever reverse and the side tanks were straight topped, lacking the raised chambers of the passenger tanks. Steam brakes were fitted from new, along with a wide-rimmed, parallel sided chimney, but the high arched, wooden cab roof was retained; a feature removed from the final I89 order which were fitted with elliptical wooden cab roofs.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1572-2.jpg.3d7cdefbb52f4ea50222db2d0d9202d3.jpg

Built at Stratford,as GER No.27, in December 1913, the locomotive was allocated to Cambridge Shed from new and by Grouping was present at Peterborough East on shunting duties, before being renumbered as 7027 under the LNER. The distinctive high arched roof was removed in August 1928, being replaced by an LNER pattern elliptical steel roof and the three bunker rails were filled during September 1931. 7027 was also the pioneer locomotive for the trial fitting of grease lubrication to the coupling pins and connecting rods in 1936.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1571-2.jpg.25b46f3bab35a2d6faafe98f62b803ad.jpg

At Grouping 7027 was still in GER Austerity Grey but from 1925 carried the LNER goods livery of unlined standard black with shaded 7.5" LNER lettering and 12" numbering, unlike the final I89 order that were painted in standard black with red lining, along with the ‘E’ area number suffix and either L&NER or LNER.

ACC2431LNERNo7027IMG_1570-2.jpg.2140a1ddca39b338c8a52aa10c83370f.jpg

Pre-order your LNER 7027 in DC/DCC Ready or DCC Sound Fitted formats direct only via our website, with no money down and options to spread the payments over 6 months ahead of delivery to make the purchase kinder to your wallet. 

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/j67-j68-j69

All looking very good.

Looks like you are including Class R24 Rebuilt?

Will you include a standard R24 (J67/1) with the smaller tanks? I think one such might be easier to justify on passenger or oilot duties out in the sticks than those with larger tanks for intensified Edwardian London services?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Will you include a standard R24 (J67/1) with the smaller tanks?

All tooled for @Edwardian, along with a number of other options that have not been released yet, so in good time, yes we will.

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, steve45 said:

A question for Paul......will the destination boards on the smokebox and bunker be removable?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, 

I raised this earlier in the thread. They will be removable/addable......( supplied separately in other words...) 

Scroll down......

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Linky added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 04/12/2023 at 18:13, Edwardian said:

Excellent, many thanks. Happy days.

Frankly, I may find it impossible to resist any variant released in Ultramarine, but I really would like the one that could best be justified in Norfolk and I suspect the original R24 passenger version is my best bet!

I'm just going to leave this here.....

image.png.77bd0c1b541fedb1bf3664adac309b55.png

image.png.6f2e2b9297ec36d1ada4973cc4f9b1b8.png

Yes, yes, yes, bank card would definitely come out for one of those. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 04/12/2023 at 18:13, Edwardian said:

Excellent, many thanks. Happy days.

Frankly, I may find it impossible to resist any variant released in Ultramarine, but I really would like the one that could best be justified in Norfolk and I suspect the original R24 passenger version is my best bet!

I'm just going to leave this here.....

image.png.77bd0c1b541fedb1bf3664adac309b55.png

image.png.6f2e2b9297ec36d1ada4973cc4f9b1b8.png

Very nice indeed. What about just leaving it in the “More model ideas” thread? We might get it in twenty years instead of thirty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/12/2023 at 09:53, No Decorum said:

Very nice indeed. What about just leaving it in the “More model ideas” thread? We might get it in twenty years instead of thirty.

Yep. It's as if a manufacturer makes one model from one railway then they need to make everything from that railway rather than trying to make a range of models.

Far more likely the next model will have headcode boxes or a pantograph than be GER....

Jason

• Agree 2

On 17/03/2023 at 14:34, NHY 581 said:

Absolutely.  Hence my observation re East Anglian Buckjumper. 68616 anybody ? 

Rob

Recently acquired a copy of The Tollesbury Branch by Peter Paye.

Quoting the contents apparently J69/1 and J68 classes also ran on the branch at various times as well as J67/1, example numbers of J69/1 being 68619, 68635, 68578. He quotes 3 of class J68, 68638, 68641 and 68644.

Given that the W&U bogie tramcars are available from Rapido surely one of each class J67/1, J68 and J69/1 which ran on the K&T are a no-brainer for Accurascale.....please please

• Like 4

On 08/12/2023 at 12:51, steve45 said:

Given that the W&U bogie tramcars are available from Rapido surely one of each class J67/1, J68 and J69/1 which ran on the K&T are a no-brainer for Accurascale.....please please

Yes. And in LNER livery, please.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 18:36, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. It's as if a manufacturer makes one model from one railway then they need to make everything from that railway rather than trying to make a range of models.

But surely that's the whole raison d'etre - who would buy a locomotive without examples of the correct rolling stock for it to pull?

Maybe that's why Hattons and Hornby are doing so well with their generic coaching stock in the absence of the real thing, whilst other manufacturers are producing e.g. Stroudley, or Liverpool & Manchester, or Lynton & Barnstaple, or whatever to complement their locomotive models... so we might reasonably hope for GER/GE Section coaching stock other than Tramcars?

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

On 10/12/2023 at 14:57, Pint of Adnams said:

But surely that's the whole raison d'etre - who would buy a locomotive without examples of the correct rolling stock for it to pull?

On 10/12/2023 at 14:57, Pint of Adnams said:

Maybe that's why Hattons and Hornby are doing so well with their generic coaching stock in the absence of the real thing, whilst other manufacturers are producing e.g. Stroudley, or Liverpool & Manchester, or Lynton & Barnstaple, or whatever to complement their locomotive models... so we might reasonably hope for GER/GE Section coaching stock other than Tramcars?

I do. I have a Midland loco and brake van and I hope someone will produce Midland wagons to form the filling in the sandwich.* I have renewed hope that some will appear a some stage. I have a couple of Chiltern 68s to top and tail a train of coaches which don’t exist yet RTR; hope is fading. Looked at the other way around, I bought two sets of SECR birdcages and was eventually rewarded with a superb loco to haul them. Joined up thinking from manufacturers would be very welcome but, until it happens, I would rather have a loco with nothing appropriate to pull than see rolling stock appear and think, “I wish I’d bought that loco (whichever it might be) whilst it was available.”

As for generic coaches from Hatton’s and Hornby, no thanks. I don’t think they are “correct rolling stock”. I made an exception for Hornby LBSC coaches because they are at least a poor representation of the correct coaches for my long-idle E4 to pull, that is, except for the overly long specimen. What worried me is that these generic coaches will deter a manufacturer from making accurate models. Would Dapol have produced the 0 gauge LBSC coaches in 00 were it not for these cluttering the market?

* I know trains were formed from a variety of wagons from all over the place but there should be at least some Midland in the mix.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I do. I have a Midland loco and brake van and I hope someone will produce Midland wagons to form the filling in the sandwich.* I have renewed hope that some will appear a some stage. I have a couple of Chiltern 68s to top and tail a train of coaches which don’t exist yet RTR; hope is fading. Looked at the other way around, I bought two sets of SECR birdcages and was eventually rewarded with a superb loco to haul them. Joined up thinking from manufacturers would be very welcome but, until it happens, I would rather have a loco with nothing appropriate to pull than see rolling stock appear and think, “I wish I’d bought that loco (whichever it might be) whilst it was available.”

As for generic coaches from Hatton’s and Hornby, no thanks. I don’t think they are “correct rolling stock”. I made an exception for Hornby LBSC coaches because they are at least a poor representation of the correct coaches for my long-idle E4 to pull, that is, except for the overly long specimen. What worried me is that these generic coaches will deter a manufacturer from making accurate models. Would Dapol have produced the 0 gauge LBSC coaches in 00 were it not for these cluttering the market?

* I know trains were formed from a variety of wagons from all over the place but there should be at least some Midland in the mix.

There are plenty of simple kits for pre-group, grouping and BR wagons.  You could soon put together a selection of wagons to suit your needs. Otherwise you are restricted to whatever the RTR manufacturers choose to produce and when.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Would Dapol have produced the 0 gauge LBSC coaches in 00 were it not for these cluttering the market?

I don’t think there’s any evidence to suggest the Hattons or Hornby coaches are cluttering the market, far from it. For years there has been open goals for manufacturers to produce pre-group vehicles and they haven’t done so. Dapol are producing GWR Toplight metropolitan coaches. These announced long after the H’s had brought their products to market. I’ve no doubt the untypical metro stock will appeal and appear on many ‘inappropriate’ GWR layouts because they look pretty and are GWR livery. If there was a real reluctance to provide pre group stock, then these wouldn’t have been introduced, and the likes of Rapido wouldn’t be making southern constituents wagons either.

The H’s generic ranges fill a gap in the market that to date, other manufacturers haven’t felt viable for specific prototype company releases. If they weren’t popular with the market they wouldn’t sell, and there’s still the gap in the market for good quality generic bogie coaching stock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As previously stated, there are plenty of simple wagon kits that would suit your needs. Well worth your dipping in to that world; I built my first one iny early mid teens in 1978; it something you can pick up quite quickly and learn to do well.

Also, bear in mind that in those days, there were few, if any corporate block trains of wagons so your Midland loco will be just as happy pullin a train containing SECR, GW or NB wagons for example, to say nothing of private owner vehicles.

Don't be afraid to mix and match as goods moved from one end of the island to another.

Davy.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The comments regarding appropriate rolling stock are pertinent. It's one thing providing a rather nice loco but commercially, it makes sense to build on that release by making appropriate wagons, coaches etc. Less of an issue with BR locos but for the pre-grouping liveries, without delving into kit building, suitable rtr pregrouping wagons, in this case Great Eastern, would be useful. One open, a brake van, Oxfords van and you have a good start. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The comments regarding appropriate rolling stock are pertinent. It's one thing providing a rather nice loco but commercially, it makes sense to build on that release by making appropriate wagons, coaches etc. Less of an issue with BR locos but for the pre-grouping liveries, without delving into kit building, suitable rtr pregrouping wagons, in this case Great Eastern, would be useful. One open, a brake van, Oxfords van and you have a good start. 

Rob

It would make commercial sense if people weren't so besotted with buying the latest highly detailed, gimmick laden, pretty liveried locomotive instead of appropriate stock to run with what they have already bought. When you read of peoples intentions to buy several different iterations of a model when they are announced on topics such as these, it reinforces the view that this is a very loco centric hobby for many collector/modellers.

I have been assisting one supplier with developing a set of pre-group carriages, starting nearly two years ago. Despite enthusiasm from those involved with the project, it is continually overtaken by other products - usually locomotives - that are considered more commercially viable. So the carriages project remains on the back burner.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1