RCH 1907 Private Owner Wagons - with added 2024 range.

rapidoandy

9 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but if you are fitting loads to the Rapido RCH wagons, be careful to make the loads smaller than the internal dimensions - if it's too snug, the load will split the wagon body open - they are not a single piece moulding, and the sides and ends aren't joined very strongly.

I suppose that's a consequence of the fairly detailed internal moulding, with the doors clearly visible inside as well as outside. Most models of open wagons skim over that somewhat, with internal moulding limited to a fairly basic representation of the planks, but without any doors. The simplest way to get a fully detailed internal mould is to do the sides separately and then assemble them, rather than doing the body as a single piece. But then you do run the risk of the assembly coming apart if you put too much stress on it.

As an aside, that's also an illustration of why the common expectation that open wagons should be cheaper than vans is misplaced. There may be a bit less plastic in an open wagon than there is in a van. But a van rarely needs any internal detail, so it's a simpler design to create and produce. And it's the design work you're paying for, not the plastic.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, alexl102 said:

Sorry to ask 'the' question but do we have a potential delivery date for the 2024 RCH wagons? Its not on the progress tracker on their website unless I'm very bad at looking!

They don't need to be designed or tooled, but there will presumably need to be painted samples, so since they aren't listed under samples received, I'd guess the others in this category for which details have been given is your best guide.  At best 2024 Q4, but probably more likely to be the first half of 2025.  Some of the in production items have a 2024 Q4 delivery date, so any earlier than that would seem highly unlikely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, locoholic said:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but if you are fitting loads to the Rapido RCH wagons, be careful to make the loads smaller than the internal dimensions - if it's too snug, the load will split the wagon body open - they are not a single piece moulding, and the sides and ends aren't joined very strongly.

That's something I'll look out for - having said that I've done a few already and not had a problem - just careful to ensure load is fitted from non-opening end. Here's a trial run with S&W couplers added but unweathered as yet.

53688045462_b705c80009_z.jpg

Chris

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

They don't need to be designed or tooled, but there will presumably need to be painted samples, so since they aren't listed under samples received, I'd guess the others in this category for which details have been given is your best guide.  At best 2024 Q4, but probably more likely to be the first half of 2025.  Some of the in production items have a 2024 Q4 delivery date, so any earlier than that would seem highly unlikely.

The 2024 range models the longer 16'6" wagons so tooling is needed but this could have already been in hand when the 5/7 planks were tooled as the announcement of this batch mentioned "These wagons are also six inches longer than our first models, which thanks to the model's clever design we are able to cater for." 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, locoholic said:

Good point.  One of my NCB "St Andrews" RCHs had a loose end door which was secured with a drop of poly.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

Good point.  One of my NCB "St Andrews" RCHs had a loose end door which was secured with a drop of poly.

My 6 SECR ones and GC and GW ones were also loose. I'm tempted to make these working ends 😅

• Like 2

On 25/04/2024 at 10:14, Pre Grouping fan said:

Another exclusive has been revealed over on Facebook

"We are delighted to announce that on Saturday 27th April we will launch for sale our G. Newington & Co. 5-Plank Wagon which has been produced exclusively for us by Rapido.

The limited edition run of 100 comes with a numbered certificate and will initially only be available by visiting the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes station.

All profits from the sale of this model are being donated to the Bluebell Railway Goods Division."

FB_IMG_1714036307993.jpg.ba56a49cba20d6e4327cd29801782169.jpg

Picked my one of these up at the Bluebell Railway toy fair Sunday. Here's it on the club layout with the other two I picked up this weekend and my clubs exclusive one

20240430_134936.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Chatham.mrc said:

Picked my one of these up at the Bluebell Railway toy fair Sunday. Here's it on the club layout with the other two I picked up this weekend and my clubs exclusive one

20240430_134936.jpg

Hi Jamie.

Have you got a couple of those Dockyard ones put by for me when we come to the show ?

All the best

Ray

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Jamie.

Have you got a couple of those Dockyard ones put by for me when we come to the show ?

All the best

Ray

Hey Ray. 

Yes there will be just make sure you come to the stand early.

Cheers