RCH 1907 Private Owner Wagons - with added 2024 range.

rapidoandy

9 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Note the loco on the left has just fly shunted the tank wagon.

Loose shunted. Fly shunting is usually illegal and dangerous. And yes I have seen it done at Twickenham station with a standard 4MT tank infront of platform of passengers. 

Lovely photo. What is that long rake of PT wagons with the main writing on a slight diagonal at the far right. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Loose shunted. Fly shunting is usually illegal and dangerous. And yes I have seen it done at Twickenham station with a standard 4MT tank infront of platform of passengers. 

Lovely photo. What is that long rake of PT wagons with the main writing on a slight diagonal at the far right. 

Paul

I'm always getting them mixed up - yes loose shunted.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

I wonder if Rapido will start selling them unpainted?  At a good discount.  They would be great for applying my own liveries.

Unliveried items are not unusual in the US market, even locos.

https://www.kadee.com/shop-by-category/freight-cars?car_type=5520

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

I wonder if Rapido will start selling them unpainted?  At a good discount.  They would be great for applying my own liveries.

This has come up before, I think the conclusion was that there was very little reduction in cost, but the buyer as you say, expected a good discount, works in the American market as the volume of sales is so much larger, I hate to paint over a nicely applied factory livery just seems wrong.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, fulton said:

This has come up before, I think the conclusion was that there was very little reduction in cost, but the buyer as you say, expected a good discount, works in the American market as the volume of sales is so much larger, I hate to paint over a nicely applied factory livery just seems wrong.

Indeed

Far too many folk fail to appreciate that the biggest cost for pretty much all RTR model railway stuff is the amount of assembly required - NOT the cost of the parts themselves.

So if you have a basic wagon which is made up of say two injection moulded parts which simply need clipping together, wheels and couplings added but has a top notch paint job with lots of Tampo printing then yes, removing the decoration will make a big difference to the amount of assembly time needed and thus the cost of production and would in theory allow for a lower RRP.

However if your wagon is made up of many parts and requires lots of separately fitted detail then the simply omitting the Tampo printing won't actually shorten the assembly time that much and as such any cost savings that do result will be tiny - and that translates into only a small reduction in RRP.

Rapidos wagons are very much in the 'high detail with lots of separate fitted parts' category so I would say anyone who thinks there is scope for them to be offered unpainted with a significant price reduction is very deluded.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

An pre-grouping loco on a PO mineral train is quite impressive site.

The ones here are Bachmann (seven 1990s versions with big couplings and metal wheels note also the crude brake gear, 2 later ones with better chassis and NEM pockets) all except one from other regions, the rest being Dapol (EKR, KESR and Kent based POs). These Dapol wagons all have metal wheels and NEM sockets but use old Dublo (?) bodies.

The brake vans are Rapido.

Next Year it will be great to see Rapîdo RCH replace most of these wagons and O1 on the front 😀

PO_01.jpg

PO_02.jpg

PO_03.jpg

PO_04.jpg

PO_05.jpg

PO_06.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Indeed

Far too many folk fail to appreciate that the biggest cost for pretty much all RTR model railway stuff is the amount of assembly required - NOT the cost of the parts themselves.

So if you have a basic wagon which is made up of say two injection moulded parts which simply need clipping together, wheels and couplings added but has a top notch paint job with lots of Tampo printing then yes, removing the decoration will make a big difference to the amount of assembly time needed and thus the cost of production and would in theory allow for a lower RRP.

However if your wagon is made up of many parts and requires lots of separately fitted detail then the simply omitting the Tampo printing won't actually shorten the assembly time that much and as such any cost savings that do result will be tiny - and that translates into only a small reduction in RRP.

Rapidos wagons are very much in the 'high detail with lots of separate fitted parts' category so I would say anyone who thinks there is scope for them to be offered unpainted with a significant price reduction is very deluded.

It's worth observing that in my experience the tampo printing on Rapido wagons is very easy to remove without leaving scarring, so if you like the colour but not the lettering a change of identity is far easier than with say a Bachmann or Hornby equivalent

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2024 at 12:02, Star-rider said:

I’d considered getting a few wagons marked up for the Earl of Dudley’s railway which ran close to where I live, but then reflected that they may have simply ran between the Earl’s Baggeridge Colliery and his Round Oak Steelworks and not on the wider network.

Perhaps I need to get down the local library…

The “ED” wagons of course also ran down to Ashwood basin and the coal was transferred by canal to at one time to  Stourport for the power station.

I believe the ED wagons just ran on the Earl’s Pensnett railway which eventually consisted of 40 miles of track, serving his various collieries and industries over the course of its life.

For any other outward shipment of coal I think I saw GW wagons in photos at Baggeridge,  the Earl of Dudley being a shareholder of the GW supplying them with steel amongst other things.

https://www.blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/GB145_p_1770

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Dudley's_Railway

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 10/03/2024 at 00:09, Compound2632 said:

Late 1920s, they tell us. Note the ex-LNWR D84 open still with LNWR lettering. Also various Rapido products including a Caledonian van. 

A curiosity is the ex-Midland D307 sleeper wagon, which resolves the question of LMS lettering on these - LMS on the bottom three planks but not overlapping the drop-side top three planks as the MR lettering had done; the LMS letters weren't as tall as the MR ones.

ISTR there was a full page photo of a train made up of these MR sleeper wagons with (very blurred) similar large LMS lettering in Bill Hudson's "Through Limestone Hills".  Haven't seen a copy for ages, though, so I may be wrong about the photo, or even the book. Perhaps someone with a copy could check.

• Like 3

On 10/03/2024 at 13:57, melmerby said:

Late 1920s according to caption on the main photo that it's taken from:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrrm881.htm

Also visible is a wagon longer than the others, maybe an ex-LYR double end door open , with one end boarded up, Dia 81 or 83 possibly.

image.png.63e41cb65b345c84eca531a5cd6ddee7.png

and possibly two ex-LYR Dia 99 vans at the back.

image.png.70434f6c89e94cfc5ceaf0ff3db876d1.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

@RapidoCorbs, out of interest, please can I check the running number of the Staveley Coal & Iron Co (967214) example?  I presume it's No 4822, as per the artwork on the product page, but the description gives No 4922!

With the company being recorded at Sheffield Park, a preserved example could potentially be found in the south east...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

With the company being recorded at Sheffield Park

They were based near Chesterfield in Derbyshire, so what was at Sheffield Park?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

Table 4 in the link references Staveley amongst numerous other private owners at Sheffield Park.

The Sheffield Park info is for the winter of 1899/1900. What it really indicates is that small stations in Sussex were receiving coal from a range of collieries in the Midlands - probably all ones working seams that produced coal suitable for domestic use. So if your layout is based in that general area (more-or-less anywhere south of the Thames) you can plausibly have wagons from any such colliery.

This is why I keep banging on that there should be more colliery wagons in the range - they may not be as pretty as some of the merchants' wagons but they're generally more useful, as not being tied to a very specific location.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

@RapidoCorbs, out of interest, please can I check the running number of the Staveley Coal & Iron Co (967214) example?  I presume it's No 4822, as per the artwork on the product page, but the description gives No 4922!

With the company being recorded at Sheffield Park, a preserved example could potentially be found in the south east...

It's 4922, 4822 was an error in the artwork which has since been corrected. I can't recall who pointed out the mistake (or whether it was an internal review).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

(repost from socials)

Pallet after pallet was wheeled into our warehouse this week, which can only mean one thing: The RCH 1907 PO Wagons have arrived! 
Payment links are being sent out so please keep an eye on your inboxes.

po-wagons-arrive-1.jpg.6b98e2742a9f1ff5dab27c17be7dc5cc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2024 at 01:01, Compound2632 said:

This is why I keep banging on that there should be more colliery wagons in the range - they may not be as pretty as some of the merchants' wagons but they're generally more useful, as not being tied to a very specific location.

I have ordered a few of the colliery versions. I don't need many, as they simply passed by Halwill Junction, where as there was no coal trader, a couple loaded, and a couple empty, will do fine. Every evening there was an olympic shunting exercise with freights from Bude and Padstow being amalgamated and sorted in the platforms, and a couple of empty colliery wagons will help. Down freights seem to have needed less sorting. 

• Like 5

On 08/03/2024 at 12:45, Michael Hodgson said:

The trouble with Internal User wagons (NCB or anybody else) is that they wouuldn't leave the premises of the business they belonged to.  Fine if you're modelling a colliery or a steelworks or whatever, but they're inappropriate for running as part of a through goods of some sort on a more general layout, so demand ought to be more limited than other PO liveries. 

However if you are modelling the colliery, you really want a decent sized fleet of them, all with different numbers, and given that they were generally old wagons no longer fit for main line service, they should ideally be in a variety of states of dilapidation.  Probably best to produce such wagons without numbers, leaving the user to number and weather them accordingly.

No trouble at all with that Michael !!

Potentially actually have the best of both worlds. By all means run your railway owned trains, but absolutely no reason not to have a couple of exchange sidings to an industrial facility. This is where one of Rapido's themes is taking us. Who is going to be able to resist a Caledonia fireless shuffling a handful of wagons around a little industry adjacent to the mainline ?

More importantly for me though, some Rapido internal user NCBs in the sidings adjacent to the mainline give the NCB locos a change from company mineral wagons. In my case I will have the choice of NCB flats loaded with coal boxes (essentially 1907 underframes), NCB internal users, internal user spoil dump cars and mineral traffic to interchange.  I have found an image online of an NCB Janus with a few spoil tippers on the Holly bank system - inspiration for Rapido if needed

• Like 2