The best-ever railway sequence in cinema...

BachelorBoy

2 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Hasn't any mentioned La Bete Humaine" yet? I honestly don't think anything could beat it.

Brilliant! Makes me want to get the Jouef/Playcraft out!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

is it any good?

The trouble with remakes of films is they are almost always inferior to the original.

A film with a good acting/plot/script will normally be a success at the box office.  If the original is one of these, somebody might try to do a remake - but the trouble is everybody judges te new one by the standard of the original, and the chances are it won't be as good because the acting or whatever will let it down.  On the other hand if the original wasn't very good, it probably bombed at the box office, so there's obviously no point in doing a remake of a failure!  And even if you did, people uknow the original wasnt any good so they won't go to see the remake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2023 at 12:56, KeithMacdonald said:

Little details - signal changes as the train goes past at 1:04 (I'll forgive that it's facing the wrong way!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The trouble with remakes of films is they are almost always inferior to the original.

A film with a good acting/plot/script will normally be a success at the box office.  If the original is one of these, somebody might try to do a remake - but the trouble is everybody judges te new one by the standard of the original, and the chances are it won't be as good because the acting or whatever will let it down.  On the other hand if the original wasn't very good, it probably bombed at the box office, so there's obviously no point in doing a remake of a failure!  And even if you did, people uknow the original wasnt any good so they won't go to see the remake.

Good point, but we still have four versions of The 39 Steps, of which I think the second version from 1959 with Kenneth Moore is the best.

Then we have the Lady Vanishes from 1938 and the 1979 version, both eminently watchable.

Others with railway sequences that come to mind include.

The Ghost Train, two versions with the 1941 version with Arthur Askey and "Stinker" Murdoch being preferred.

Another Arthur Askey film is The Love Match from 1955 where he is a driver on the railway, this one is good fun.

In the same way Jack Warner plays a driver out of 1B Camden in Train of Events, likewise The Blue Lamp has some great scenes around Paddington and Westbourne Park as street scenes along with a near miss with a London Transport 1927 stock central Line train near White City.

Then there is an arrival sequence at Staverton on the Ashburton branch in 1955 with George Cole and a 14xx in the film Where There's a Will. The film is a bit flat, but the railway sequence is near the beginning so jump off when you like...

Kevin

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Strathwood said:

Others with railway sequences that come to mind include.

The Ghost Train, two versions with the 1941 version with Arthur Askey and "Stinker" Murdoch being preferred.

Preferred, I suspect, only because the earlier version with Jack Hulbert and Cicely Courtneidge survives only in part and mostly without sound.

The surviving footage is available to watch here.

Edited by Welchester
Link added.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Strathwood said:

The writer of the film The Ghost Train, Arnold Ridley certainly had an interesting life before appearing in Dad's Army.

Take a read through this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Ridley

Kevin

Shortage of cash led Ridley to sell the rights to The Ghost Train, a move he later regretted, because the royalties would have saved him having to continue to work into his eighties.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I did 'The Ghost train' about 15 years ago - the script comes with extensive instructions on how to do the train effects, 1920s style. Nail laths to the stage in the wings and push a lawn roller over them (for the noise of the train moving), whilst somebody else opens and closes an oxygen cylinder to make the chuffing noises. 

"Great Scott! Bolshies!"

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I vote for the opening scenes of the 1949 film 'Train of Events'.

The film itself is a bit naff but the opening scenes are a glorious procession of northbound expresses leaving Euston and climbing Camden Bank.

1949 was an interesting year for the locos and rolling stock in a pre-nationalisation LMS and the new BR livery.

Black and white film but 35mm format and true soundtrack.

(A lot of cutting room outtakes are featured in the Video 125 dvd Steam in 35mm, if you hanker for more.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Strathwood said:

Then we have the Lady Vanishes from 1938 and the 1979 version, both eminently watchable.

Nice models in the 1938 version. Were they by Beeson?

On 09/04/2023 at 21:44, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry about this. That St Trinian's one made on the Longmoor Railway; forgotten the title, bit its really silly, as is 

THE TITFIELD THUNDERBOLT. Best part of that is at the very end at Brizzle Temple Meads. 

P

Sorry about the late response (others may have beaten me to the title): The Great St Trinians Train Robbery. This is my favourite comedy railway film as it contains some of the funniest railway sequences, even if they were speeded up a bit on film. It was silly, but good fun.

One of our friends who we would regularly run into at local swap meets was one of the drivers involved. He said they pushed the safe working bounds a bit, and did, in fact, have a couple of minor derailments. He also said that as a driver not actually in the film, he had to duck down out of camera range to drive while trying not to be too distracted by the supposed school girls in short dresses and fishnet stockings!

We can just about recreate the film in model form in OO now, with most of the models being available ready to run (a couple of exceptions or variations needed, though). Only a 2H unit for the police, rather than a 3H; the Bachmann gandy dancer would need some school girls in uniform; we have 59' suburban coaches from Bachmann, or better ones to come from Accurascale; the LMR diesel shunter was not quite the same as an 08 but close; J94s are readily available; suitable wagons are available; the pseudo-J50 was actually another J94 with fake side sheets added to make it sufficiently different for film audiences to recognise the different trains; and the Wickham trolly is readily available, although a suitable sound file with the headmistress yelling through a megaphone might be harder to source!

Edited by SRman
Correcting typos
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Re Arnold Ridley, I cannot recommend highly enough the really brilliant (and moving) book written about him by his son Nicolas:

Godfrey's Ghost

One of my favourite observations from this lovely book was that Arnold was a huge and active supporter of Bath Rugby Club. This was in the days before they were well known, Nicolas says that he would never have coped with all of their success!!

And then there was "The Wrong Arm of the Law".....

1-IMG_4530.JPG.744fb405ed4b0dcfdc5996ddad22a701.JPG1-IMG_4533.JPG.ff5e0f6d02e67333d43bedb28bb7f3df.JPG1-IMG_4531.JPG.a7df4cd499216178c509662da6d3a99e.JPG

Quite a lot of railway material in films....

Simon

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 07/06/2023 at 09:17, Strathwood said:

The Blue Lamp has some great scenes around Paddington and Westbourne Park as street scenes along with a near miss with a London Transport 1927 stock central Line train near White City.

IIRC the film was actually run backwards. My memory is that there was a tail lamp on what is supposed to be the front of the train. can anyone confirm if I am correct please.

Andrew

On 04/04/2023 at 13:43, russ p said:

There's some great scenes in the opening sequence of get Carter.  Probably my favourite ever film 

The opening sequence was shot on 17/7/70, with the second unit film crew making the trip from KX to Newcastle with Michael Caine. Before departure they also shot some footage of a 47 departing KX on a rake of Mk2 stock, this was not used in the final cut but it does appear in one of the 'Diesels & Electrics On 35mm' DVDs.

Another poster mentioned 'Robbery' from 1967 earlier, this is definitely one of my favourites, for one it's a cracking film anyway if a little slow paced, but the railway scenes were beautifully done. The locations used were Victoria (where Stanley Baker and Joanna Petit arrive), Marylebone (where the 'up postal' departs from 'Glasgow'), Theddingworth and Rockingham on the Rugby to Market Harborough and Peterborough line, plus the Northampton to Market Harborough line...

FBBENGDYD318Theddingworth.jpg.c40c5fad0a96eb85b3ce5dc0190e1e5f.jpg

0007C72A00000C1D-29554OP42-Old_school_Criminals_are_turning_to_more_21st_Century_methods_to-a-9_1424084371912.jpg.3fbb756499214a8f9c47e9b1dd57a70a.jpg

Robbery19.jpg.02e798807d9313526f74c06df4957e2f.jpg

Robbery20.jpg.fff11239c941c24648a4e45ccb9d6561.jpg

Robbery082.jpg.0d889cf471613c5473354f1a4e48e058.jpg

Robbery126.jpg.cc5da9852ccb83d0b2bf0ccf1e3566e7.jpg

Robbery143.jpg.30fb753549e7a4c899d19c7cd76b99ce.jpg

Robbery170.jpg.ae91d4841d751ae8e5f125103f899793.jpg

Robbery177.jpg.b0bc5133295d7a6eea1b46bf661e83c2.jpgRobbery186.jpg.fe4d7cc77c0dbf32a8f5ed2420fddf30.jpg

Robbery189.jpg.a980873929f5fb499ee5ac2157e28386.jpgRobbery194a.jpg.aca5848044d50c62e778c098c608def8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2