The best-ever railway sequence in cinema...

BachelorBoy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Couldn't resist.

24A321FB00000578-0-image-m-11_1421107930187.jpg

Nor I, oh yes...

The lady is wearing a very attractive habit too....

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium

The Silver Streak confused Torontonians as the train runs into the through train shed at Toronto Union and crashes into the station that is situated at the side of the tracks.

Has anyone ever taken the train announcement from M Hulot and played them on his model railway?

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry about this. That St Trinian's one made on the Longmoor Railway; forgotten the title, bit its really silly, as is 

THE TITFIELD THUNDERBOLT. Best part of that is at the very end at Brizzle Temple Meads. 

P

The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery- was of course meant to be silly doing such daft things as casting a well known (at the time) tv copper as a master criminal and so on then getting even dafter as it went on.  Retrospective reviewers slam it but it did quite well in the year it was released so presumably made money.

• Like 4

On 10/04/2023 at 11:03, The Stationmaster said:

The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery- was of course meant to be silly doing such daft things as casting a well known (at the time) tv copper as a master criminal and so on then getting even dafter as it went on.  Retrospective reviewers slam it but it did quite well in the year it was released so presumably made money.

As an impressionable 14 year-old I found it hilarious when it first came out.  I'd never laughed so much.  Now, as a grizzled old curmudgeon, I can't understand what I ever found funny.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2023 at 13:13, Silly Moo said:

There are some fantastic but often not very realistic scenes in The Polar Express and who can forget Gromit’s frantic tracklaying in The Wrong Trousers? 

Still makes me chuckle today!

• Like 1

For me I’d say it’s the escape from the tunnel with the criminals inside in Oh, Mr Porter. 

While I would put that as (one of) the best, there are a few other quality railway sequences from more recent films. If we don’t let quality be totally defined by accuracy, I offer Paddington 2...

(Tornado was taken by road to Leavesden Studios and filmed along a short section of track there. Apparently the actor who plays Jonathan Brown, Samuel Joslin, was genuinely at the regulator - then aged 15!)

...and the tube scene in Darkest Hour. 

I also enjoyed (but some other members of this parish begged to differ) The Railway Children Return, and I also thought the climax there was very well done.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Runaway Train (1985) for me. 

Seriously underrated railway-themed movie with John Voight. Nominated for an Oscar too!

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 4 weeks later...

A Czechoslovak film directed by Jiří Menzel - is one of the best-known products of the Czechoslovak New Wave. It was released in the United Kingdom as Closely Observed Trains. It is a coming-of-age story about a young man working at a train station in German-occupied Czechoslovakia during World War II. The film is based on a 1965 novel by Bohumil Hrabal. It was produced by Barrandov Studios and filmed on location in Central Bohemia. Released outside Czechoslovakia during 1967, it won the Best Foreign Language Oscar at the 40th Academy Awards in 1968.

• Like 4

On 20/04/2023 at 20:10, Weeny Works said:

Runaway Train (1985) for me. 

Seriously underrated railway-themed movie with John Voight. Nominated for an Oscar too!

I like that film too, well once it gets to the railroad, anyway.

As a fan of U.S. railroads a couple of things jar; the two Geeps at the rear have great big boxes on their long hood roofs that aren't prototypical, they're well oversize for winterisation hatches - probably added by the props dept for extra 'visual impact', and there's a BIG continuity Blooper - the MU hoses between the locos are all caked in ice, except for a shot when the lash-up emerges from a tunnel straight on to a trestle bridge. There's a shot looking down between locos as they go over the trestle, and the MU hoses (& everything else) are swinging free, completely devoid of any ice at all.

Once seen, can't be unseen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only find the trailer on youtube but the opening title sequence has a very good "steam train leaving the terminus" shot which has stuck in my mind. The rest of the trailer just goes through most of the plot, really. 

Fonda and Redgrave were good and Meryl Streep's first film.  There was later some controversy about it because the original story by Lillian Hellman was claimed to be a true story but that was shown to be not totally the case.

And this one

Murder on the Orient Express - train departs.  This is the 1974 film with Albert Finney as Poirot - and great  cast.  Better than later ones imho. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2