The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I've finally admitted to myself that I'm getting old because ..................................................

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I'm extremely sceptical about that claim; I've not seen any real sign of any advances in absolute longevity. Plenty of advances in dealing with things that might kill us off before we get to extreme old age, but nothing that changes that absolute upper limit.

Apparently in the US, the life expectancy is starting to decline. I don't know what effect Covid had on that.

But of course, there is also their lack of a proper health system for many. Imagine having to stretch your medication out, because you can't afford to take it every day!

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Apparently in the US, the life expectancy is starting to decline. I don't know what effect Covid had on that.

But of course, there is also their lack of a proper health system for many. Imagine having to stretch your medication out, because you can't afford to take it every day!

Have you looked at the price per item in the UK today, nearly £10 per item!

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Owing to my brother having a son late in life, my nephew has a grandmother (my mother) who served as a nurse in the Blitz and a great grandfather who served in WW1.  Gave his teacher a bit of a shock when Nephew was given a Christmas holiday task of finding out from Grandma(*) what her life had been like and he came back with a first hand account of nursing in 1940 in Charing Cross hospital!

* A brilliant idea, by the way, got him talking to Grandma for hours, which cheered Grandma up no end.

In a similar, but I suspect not at all unusual family situation, my 18 month old great grandson has an aunty 3 years older than him.

In my days Aunties were as old as your mum!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

If you're a mass consumer of pills and potions, then the NHS prescription "season ticket" pays for itself very quickly.

And once you hit 60*, prescriptions are free again.

* Birthday!  Yes, another indicator that you're getting old...

Edited by Hroth
more!
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Owing to my brother having a son late in life, my nephew has a grandmother (my mother) who served as a nurse in the Blitz and a great grandfather who served in WW1.  Gave his teacher a bit of a shock when Nephew was given a Christmas holiday task of finding out from Grandma(*) what her life had been like and he came back with a first hand account of nursing in 1940 in Charing Cross hospital!

* A brilliant idea, by the way, got him talking to Grandma for hours, which cheered Grandma up no end.

And her memories ought to be preserved somewhere. Please!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Thanks, I didn't know that.

(It's been so long since I could book a doctor's appointment sooner than I recovered from the ailment)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Have you looked at the price of medicines in the US? One week's supply of Clexane (a fairly standard, post operative blood thinner) over $600.  It makes the prescription charge look astonishingly good value. Difficult to overestimate the value of the NHS. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Agree 8

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you're a mass consumer of pills and potions, then the NHS prescription "season ticket" pays for itself very quickly.

* Birthday!  Yes, another indicator that you're getting old...

In Wales and Scotland prescriptions are free for everyone, I don’t know why they charge in England but as has been noted even £10 an item can be a bargain compared to the true cost of some pills. 

On 16/04/2023 at 15:07, johnofwessex said:

Due to a family history of late parenthood my two youngest are probably the only children at School who had a Grandfather who was part of D Day and Great Grandfathers who served in WW1

Excellent!

Our children had a similar honour for Grandparents History at their village primary school.

Grandpa William told them about his "full package tour". Courtesy of the Eighth Army, across North Africa, Sicily, Italy (via Monte Cassino), ending in Austria "guarding" an Austrian monastery and its stockpile of Cherry Brandy.

Grandma Betty told them about her being a Fire Warden on the rooftops of London during The Blitz. Watching where the bombs were falling and phoning HQ with position reports. All the while hoping the next bomb wasn't directly overhead. Sometimes it was very close. She managed to explain in a graceful way that sometimes when they got back to HQ there were fewer Wardens than before.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Actually, I haven't!!!!

In Australia, prescription medicines can vary significantly in price. Some are not on the PBS at all and basically - watch out for the prices!

https://www.pbs.gov.au/info/healthpro/explanatory-notes/section1/Section_1_5_Explanatory_Notes

We are on the concessional Safety Net, which has a threshold of $262.80, which we have already passed, so these medications until 31 December are free to us.

Some chemists accidentally print too much information on the labels, which include the full price of the medication, as well as 'your' price. A months supply of one of my medications, is just over $100, at least it was last year!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

A Brit in a Hollywood film?

It's got to end badly.

This is what's disturbing about John Cleese and the new 'Fawlty Towers' - how can it possibly reach the previous standards?

1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

In Wales and Scotland prescriptions are free for everyone, I don’t know why they charge in England but as has been noted even £10 an item can be a bargain compared to the true cost of some pills. 

Indeed it can but £10 it can also be well over the odds for some other pills that are long out of copyright.

If we're going to have a National health service it ought to apply to the whole nation.  The main Westminster parties are in favour of keeping the kingdom united, but if the Scots & Welsh can get their meds for free (and free parking at the hospital) by voting for independence parties, it should be an argument for founding an English National Party campaigning for English Home Rule (not to be confused with any racist movements), the English Govenment to be headquartered presumably somewhere outside London.

We keep hearing how wonderful our "free" NHS is, but I think it needs to be reformed in a number of ways.   We're supposed to be able to get dental treatment on the NHS but that's not available in large parts of the country.  Can't blame dentists for only taking private patients if the NHS pays them less - and the way things seem to be going, the same might be true of GPs in years to come; it's already extremely difficult to get an appointment unless you claim it's an emergency.

• Like 2

Ok I know the NHS isn’t actually free, it is more of an insurance scheme where many pay but only some benefit. So to get back to the thread perhaps you know you are getting old when you get more value from the NHS than you have actually paid in (like me 😁). 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/04/2023 at 11:31, Vistisen said:

When I discovered that my birthday is closer to the start of the firstworld war than it is to today.

I did the sums and found out that applies to me, too - born in 1967!!

Thanks very much. I now feel old!!! 😱🙄🤣🤣🤣

Actually I realised I was getting old a few years ago, playing football with my lad & his mates. I had to stay in goal because I couldn't run round the pitch for long, then it was taking me a while to bend down to pick the ball up out the back of the net, and it dawned on me that it was because it was taking me a while to bend down, why I was picking the ball up out the back of the net.... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Football is one thing I have very definitely retired from, now!!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I did the sums and found out that applies to me, too - born in 1967!!

Thanks very much. I now feel old!!! 😱🙄🤣🤣🤣

Actually I realised I was getting old a few years ago, playing football with my lad & his mates. I had to stay in goal because I couldn't run round the pitch for long, then it was taking me a while to bend down to pick the ball up out the back of the net, and it dawned on me that it was because it was taking me a while to bend down, why I was picking the ball up out the back of the net.... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Football is one thing I have very definitely retired from, now!!

Solution is walking football. It's against the rules to run.

https://www.walkingfootball.co.uk/walking-football-rules/

Or the All Priests Over 75s and play as a "ringer"! 

spacer.png

• Funny 2

I've finally admitted to myself that I'm getting old because..

Half my teeth are missing - I have some nice implants though..

My left hip is no longer my own, I had a new one for Christmas... (And my right hip is now starting to grumble a bit...)

I no longer need to get my hair cut by a professional - I just run the electric clippers over my head once a month..

I enjoy cooking my own meals...  Life is great! 

Edited by Bill
grammmar
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just a couple of weeks ago,I reached the age that the Beatles wrote a song about.

I seem to remember hitting 40,but that seemed ok.Then 50 suddenly came along,and before I knew it 60 arrived.

Funny how,when I was a kid,relatives who were over 40 seemed positively ancient.There's not much in life I take seriously,and I'm pleased to say that myself and some mates are still doing the same jokes we were doing years ago.

I'm glad I can look back at how I got into playing sport in a big way,and now I look at photo's of myself playing league squash and running half-marathons,and think "blimey,did I really do all that?" Some of that has come home to roost in recent years,with two ops on my left knee and my right knee creaking like mad,but I wouldn't change anything I did.No possibility of doing any of that now...

So,that sort of stuff makes me feel old,as does thinking back to some of the priceless memories I have of spotting trips around the country when I were t'lad,and how I did a couple of sessions of travelling overseas in my younger day.

So yes,I'm older than I'd like to be,but I've had very little to complain about in life,which makes ageing easier to accept...

Neil.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1