Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New GWR release with Rails of Sheffield?

County of Yorkshire

Llangollen Railway issued a press release today regarding the opening of their new station in Corwen:

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/llangollen-railway.22171/page-115#post-2808810

It includes this snippet: 

“Dapol and Rails of Sheffield will also be making an exciting announcement about a forthcoming new 4mm scale model that should be of great interest to both Llangollen Railway and GWR fans alike”

Hmm? What could it be? 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Good spot

I guess odds on for a brand new 5700/8750 then as it is the only noteworthy item of GWR stock at Llangollen (7754) that doesn't have a"modern" version.

Dapol already do them in N and O so it would make sense with research etc. already done.

Question is do you use the shrink ray or expansion ray??? 😛

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

If it is a 57xx/8750 pannier, I hope it will be one without a top feed, and given that I'm in the process of converting a Baccy 8750 to this spec, having done a 57xx some while ago, it would be just my luck...

Could be an RTP Corwen Station building, though!  Any suggestion of when this exciting announcement is to be made...

• Like 2

If it is indeed a new 57xx it would certainly be welcome, though I have got 2 older Bachmann models so would probably only end up with...... 5.
57xx makes sense really considering the current tooling widely available is 40+ years old.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

If it is indeed a new 57xx it would certainly be welcome, though I have got 2 older Bachmann models so would probably only end up with...... 5.
57xx makes sense really considering the current tooling widely available is 40+ years old.

It would be very nice if it was a new 0-6-0PT however, I think it would / could be such a huge project that Dapol would not want to keep it with just one retailer. 

IF Dapol however do announce it, we could expect to see a spoiler loco announced by Bachmann.

I would have thought that its more likely to be a new limited edition Manor 4-6-0

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

It would be very nice if it was a new 0-6-0PT however, I think it would / could be such a huge project that Dapol would not want to keep it with just one retailer. 

IF Dapol however do announce it, we could expect to see a spoiler loco announced by Bachmann.

I would have thought that its more likely to be a new limited edition Manor 4-6-0

The Limited Edition Manor could easily be an example of a  Cornish based Engine. Nice.

Phil

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I wouldn't think it were a Manor due to the fact Foxcote has already been done. Not to mention 7754 is due back soon so I'm guessing that could be the RoS part of it?

• Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I agree Rails having some control of something so ubiquitous would be a bad move. It would make sense for Rails to have a limited edition 7754 in the NCB livery it wore?

If it was a limited edition Manor then what? 7822 in it's current BR Black was announced in Dapol's Batch 2 Manors, but would it make sense to produce 7822 in Br Green as well?

We shall wait and see I guess!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

I agree Rails having some control of something so ubiquitous would be a bad move. It would make sense for Rails to have a limited edition 7754 in the NCB livery it wore?

I think that is more likely to happen, looking at the Llangollen Railway Website they have 2 GWR Locos currently based with them, those being 7754 and 3802, so it could be a possibility that it is a Ltd Edition 7754 and a general release range of 57xx Panniers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Llangollen Railway issued a press release today regarding the opening of their new station in Corwen:

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/llangollen-railway.22171/page-115#post-2808810

It includes this snippet: 

“Dapol and Rails of Sheffield will also be making an exciting announcement about a forthcoming new 4mm scale model that should be of great interest to both Llangollen Railway and GWR fans alike”

Hmm? What could it be? 

a 'model', pretty open to interpretation, so could be a wagon, or coach, or a signal etc etc?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, tractionman said:

a 'model', pretty open to interpretation, so could be a wagon, or coach, or a signal etc etc?

Indeed. Doesn't Llangollen have an autocoach in GWR livery? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Good spot

I guess odds on for a brand new 5700/8750 then as it is the only noteworthy item of GWR stock at Llangollen (7754) that doesn't have a"modern" version.

Dapol already do them in N and O so it would make sense with research etc. already done.

Question is do you use the shrink ray or expansion ray??? 😛

I reckon that would be pure folly after the Terrier.

It's almost certain that Hornby are doing one as they've announced a TT version and have stated that everything in TT will be models that are available in 00 gauge. So they've probably got one quite far advanced.

Bad enough going head to head with Accurascale with the Manor.

Just as likely the new water tower at Corwen or some buildings. Note it doesn't say locomotive. 

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

My first thought was a new 57xx pannier, but I’m not sure because that would be a pretty audacious move. The Bachmann model isn’t bad and I would’ve thought Hornby would tackle it given the TT announcement. I can’t see a new 28/38xx as Hornby’s is still very good, and the 4575 under restoration is being done by Rapido. 

The affiliation with Rails is intriguing and provokes some thought. My guess would be a standard range of locos or rolling stock available from Dapol, with a sideline of exclusives via Rails. 

My gut feeling is a GWR autocoach, or toplights; although they’ve already been announced? 

What would genuinely excite me is a Hawksworth County or Collett sunshine coaches! 

Cheers

CoY

P.S - can’t see it being a model of the new Corwen station as it isn’t a prototypical/authentic GWR design! Aren’t the canopy supports from London Bridge station?! 

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

P.S - can’t see it being a model of the new Corwen station as it isn’t a prototypical/authentic GWR design! Aren’t the canopy supports from London Bridge station?! 

That explains their odd nature I wondered why I didn't like them

A 57xx or a 2884 class would be the only GWR Locos I could see happening, considering the age of the Bachmann 57xx and the hard to get nature of the Hornby 28xx, the Corridor Toplights are supposedly in development though so maybe them?

• RMweb Gold

The Baccy 57xx is not a 40-year-old tooling, at least not in it’s current iteration.  The Mainline 57xx that it is the successor to had a different bodyshell, with no backhead detail, or firetool hooks. TTBOMK Replica, when they were producing it, made no changes, but Bachmann have gone through at least 1 new can motor version of the split collection chassis and both rear and centre axle drive versions of the wiper pickup chassis.  The bodyshell tooling has been replaced, I think at the time of the introduction of the first wiper chassis about 20 years ago and includes full cab detail, firetool hooks on the bunker, cab glazing, and is ‘DCC Ready’; this change co-incided with the use of NEM couplers.   

What significant improvement could be made to it in it’s current form by a completely new tooling is not immediately obvious from where I’m sitting; it is an accurate and well-detailed model to the standards we have cone to expect from current RTR, and runs well and reliably.  I have two of them, four including a pair of 8750s, and am very happy with them.  Were Dap/Rails to produce another version, I might be interested if it was without a top feed and it would have to be significantly cheaper, but anything else they could do to put clear blue water between it and the Baccy would most likely be in the form of some sort of price-increasing gimmick.  

For these reasons I very much doubt that the mystery product will be a 57xx.  That said, I have no suggestion as to what it will be; we’ll have to wait and see, won’t we, good gentlemodellers?

Edited by The Johnster
  • Round of applause 1