New GWR release with Rails of Sheffield?

County of Yorkshire

This is potentially drifting into a "List what GWR model you want" with no connection to the Llangollen Railway

I hate quoting wikipedia but essentially take your pick from anything GWR on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Llangollen_Railway_rolling_stock

An interesting model would be the inspection saloon and maybe a good link to the official opening as its likely the dignitaries will likely arrive in it and would work as a limited edition as the "Corwen Opening Train"?

If you broaden the sweep to the Ruabon-Barmouth line most of the GWR prototypes have been done. Only things I can think of that aren't to modern (2020s standards) are the 2251s, 5700s, 8750s, 7400s

The only County link would be No.1019 County of Merioneth simply because that was the county Corwen was in before being split up

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

An interesting model would be the inspection saloon and maybe a good link to the official opening as its likely the dignitaries will likely arrive in it and would work as a limited edition as the "Corwen Opening Train"?

Now that would be good, a Saloon that is GWR would work extremely well for most modellers.

As you say the 2251s haven't been done to modern standards, and quite frankly would be good to see DCC Ready, seeing that they haven't been available for a while.

• RMweb Gold

If it is an engine then a 48/14XX would be logcal for them (would a 517 be a step too far?)  to go with the autocoach they've announced.    I tend to the view that a 57XX is going to be too much of a big research job while they've got all the Toplight development underway.  If it's large vehicle themn the saloon wouldn't be a bad idea but although a GWr design the one on the Langollen wasn't built until 1948.

Other vehicle types they havea bit ofa choice from what the railway has and a Crocodile would be a rather good choice I reckon.  But there is also a Fruit D which would sell like hotcakes if they do a good job.

But whatever they do they need to have it at a pretty advanced state of development otherwise they run the risk of being gazumped with several companies in teh fieled and the like sof Rapido pushinga rapid succession of wagon announcements g highlighted by occasional loco announcements.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Other vehicle types they havea bit ofa choice from what the railway has and a Crocodile would be a rather good choice I reckon.  But there is also a Fruit D which would sell like hotcakes if they do a good job.

Dapol already do the fruit D but the undergubbins leave a lot to be desired when compared with the new boys stuff.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The current Dap Fruit D is derived from the Wrenn, originally HD, model and, as well as the chassis limitations, is ISTR a scale foot too wide.  A new model to current standards would be most welcome and a guaranteed good seller. 

3 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Only things I can think of that aren't to modern (2020s standards) are the 2251s, 5700s, 8750s, 7400s

Purely as a matter of interest, I’m not taking issue with you here, in what respects do you consider Bachmann 57xx and 8750 to not be to 2020s standards?   Comparing them to the 94xx (admittedly from a DC Luddite perspective), which one would I imagine consider a 2020s spec model, the only difference is the coreless can motor, which may well appear on future production runs of the 57xx/8750, and the firebox glow which on a DC model is a bit of a gimmick, though harmless enough. 

Not sure what improvements Baccy made to the 2251; the old ML was a bit of a dog with the backs of the chassis blocks housing the pancake motor protruding into the cab.  A new tooling of this prototype would also be welcome, as would the 74xx.  A 74xx opens the possibility of tooling for the very similar later build 64xx as well

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Everybody is assuming it is new tooling, but the announcement didn't say that — it could just be a new numbered or liveried version of something already in the range. Though the Rails/Dapol exclusives up to now have been new tooling, and associated with the NRM/Locomotion.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Purely as a matter of interest, I’m not taking issue with you here, in what respects do you consider Bachmann 57xx and 8750 to not be to 2020s standards?   Comparing them to the 94xx (admittedly from a DC Luddite perspective), which one would I imagine consider a 2020s spec model, the only difference is the coreless can motor, which may well appear on future production runs of the 57xx/8750, and the firebox glow which on a DC model is a bit of a gimmick, though harmless enough. 

Not sure what improvements Baccy made to the 2251; the old ML was a bit of a dog with the backs of the chassis blocks housing the pancake motor protruding into the cab.  A new tooling of this prototype would also be welcome, as would the 74xx.  A 74xx opens the possibility of tooling for the very similar later build 64xx as well

I think for me having a shed layout the big things are DCC compatibility and sound, plus the general detail improvements that would come with a modern model. I only need one (and only one, 3630, was ever allocated to the Cambrian). I've held off buying a Bachmann and doing some modelling in the hope a new one will appear at some point.

I suppose it is a similar argument for why Rapido upgraded the Prairie. There is nothing wrong with the Bachmann example but the  Rapido team obviously sat down and decided they could do better.

2251 would be top of my list for a retool but not that relevant to modern Llangollen. A 74xx would be a good one for Dapol too as they already make one in 7mm.

20 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

2251 would be top of my list for a retool but not that relevant to modern Llangollen.

As a modeller attempting to model 89B if preserved it's quite high for myself as well.
Main reason I would say a new tooled 57xx would be good is the mechanism, but also from general refinements, there is not to mention a lack of separately fitted lamp irons to contend with on the older models, having one of the newer Bachmann 8750 class locos I'd say that there are a few general areas that could do with improvement, not to mention we could get the 97xx variants.......

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Everybody is assuming it is new tooling, but the announcement didn't say that — it could just be a new numbered or liveried version of something already in the range. Though the Rails/Dapol exclusives up to now have been new tooling, and associated with the NRM/Locomotion.

The press release says: “…an exciting announcement about a forthcoming new 4mm scale model…”. 

I personally read that to mean either:

1) something totally new and not yet announced

2) something already announced, on its way, but this announcement is a new variant of that release (which of itself has not been previously announced). 

I can’t see the PR referring to something already out there in the marketplace. 

The GWR inspection saloon is a good shout, actually. The Baccy LMS one seemed to be popular and of course there’s about a dozen of the GWR saloons preserved.

Going back to station buildings, Llangollen, Berwyn or Carrog would nice to see as OO RTP buildings… 

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Baccy 57xx is not a 40-year-old tooling, at least not in it’s current iteration.  The Mainline 57xx that it is the successor to had a different bodyshell, with no backhead detail, or firetool hooks. TTBOMK Replica, when they were producing it, made no changes, but Bachmann have gone through at least 1 new can motor version of the split collection chassis and both rear and centre axle drive versions of the wiper pickup chassis.  The bodyshell tooling has been replaced, I think at the time of the introduction of the first wiper chassis about 20 years ago and includes full cab detail, firetool hooks on the bunker, cab glazing, and is ‘DCC Ready’; this change co-incided with the use of NEM couplers.   

It might not be 40 year old tooling - but in spite of the separately fitted detail the basic moulding does not allow for many of the  variations the class displayed in service - because the top feed is part of said moulding for example Bachmann cannot a loco without it despite many modellers saying that a top feed is inaccurate for their chosen era / location.

Going forward the market is increasingly expecting the ability to fit sound, have  firebox flicker etc so there is plenty of scope to significantly improve on the Bachmann offering - just as Rapido are doing with the 45XX Praire tanks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

More than a month of froth to go, then!  My money’s on Stationmaster’s idea, a14xx (48xx, 58xx) with a 517 option, suitable to go with the upcoming Diagram N autotrailer.  There is currently no RTR auto loco suitable for accompanying this in pre-1920s livery, and a 14xx to a good standard that runs well is pretty low-hanging as fruit goes deze daze!   And Dap have researched this loco to produce in N and 0.  

No need for either at Cwmdimbath, so if I’m right my wallet will be grateful, but if I’m wrong and it’s an 1854 or a 2721…

22 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Now that would be good, a Saloon that is GWR would work extremely well for most modellers.

As you say the 2251s haven't been done to modern standards, and quite frankly would be good to see DCC Ready, seeing that they haven't been available for a while.

Surely 2007 is modern-ish?

Are people just looking at the old Mainline model as it was a totally new model and was DCC Ready from the start. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1654/bachmann_branchline_oo_0_6_0_class_2251_collett_goods

Jason

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Surely 2007 is modern-ish?

Are people just looking at the old Mainline model as it was a totally new model and was DCC Ready from the start. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1654/bachmann_branchline_oo_0_6_0_class_2251_collett_goods

Jason

Not to my knowledge, think there was a run with DCC provision but not many were produced, not to mention they haven’t been available for quite some time and the mechanism isn’t the best.