Simon Kohler to retire from Hornby

AY Mod

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Covkid said:

just a few examples of models never RTR before. 

And ones I'd love to see too but I think we'd be looking in the wrong place in Pacificland.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Gatesheadgeek said:

They had plenty of designers featured in the television series and given that retirement ages are known well in advance, succession planning will have been in place for years. In recent episodes of their You Tube videos they had two or three designers prominent who had been there  many years as well as the younger designers. 

I don't know if my company was the exception, but generally there was very little planning for losing people. There was one story I heard in an IT department where they had a voluntary separation agreement and those that were left turned up on a Monday morning to find all hell had broken loose. Nobody had factored in what all those people actually did. I suppose Hornby is a relatively small company so that might not happen but in Simon's case they might just offload his role to another senior manager.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One Cloud IT company I was in, had an attrition rate of 30%.

After 3 years I was the oldest guy in town.. then inevitably I went.

This was a 1000 person consultancy too.

No one knew what anyone else did, and when they left invariably those initiatives were lost, failed or all hell let loose.

All down to HR policies of 1 person.

Inevitably it was sold, the buyers having no clue what they were buying, or why all the staff had gone when the deal finally completed (though that last 6 months attrition went to 50-60% when staff saw who and felt had bought them, even the senior execs went)… when I left, I resigned to the CEO, as three management levels above me had gone, and my BU effectively shut down as there was only 6 from 30 left below me to.

We all work for competitors now, and have a staff alumni with several hundred in it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

All of this reminds me of the fu irst (and last time) I went to the races at Ascot for the day back in the mid 1970s.  I put £5 each way on a horse in the first race and it won - so I spent the rest of the day using the bookie's money.   The connection here is that the name of the horse was 'Streak'.  So maybe these folk from the world of betting moving to Hornby should have an aversion to LNER pacifics after I singed their fingers?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

In one large yard which I managed two of my supervisors had a succession plan of their own for shunting staff.  Every time a vacancy occurred various of their cousins would be presented for interview; they both had big families.

I don't think it's a complete coincidence where I work that around 30% of staff are related by marriage or blood to other staff members, and a very high percentage of staff at head office (including myself although that's not how I ended up there) went to the same school as 3 of the directors.

However, this does mean a company with long term prospects, they promote internally whenever possible and have clear progression paths for those that want to work for it. I started as an entry level gopher, was a field surveyor in 3 years and joined the IT department after 5 - doubling the size.

I'm not sure when I became the de facto head of IT as my role just kind of evolved into it but we now have 3 members (the new guy I have known for many years and when he was made redundant due to covid I snapped him up) and everyone knows what everyone else does and can cover if need be. I'm sure there are worse companies to work for, better ones too, but I'm content.

• Like 7

looks like he is already 'offline' from Hornby. I just emailed a quick note saying thanks for his efforts over the years (and quick and detailed responses to my questions) and got a 'mailbox full' bounceback.

• Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, melmoth said:

Succession planning is all good and fine, but look at the Royal Family...

Don't worry. 

Ex-prince Harry is unlikely to get the job (I think that's why he's so dischuffed) and Prince Andy even less likely to succeed to the throne.

As it happens I quite like the incumbent and his second wife and if he doesn't last very long I can live with the next king, but I doubt it will matter to me one way or the other when his grandson gets his turn.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m not SK’s biggest fan, as I don't approve of some of the gazumping of other people’s prototypes that he has encouraged H to indulge in over recent years, which came across as arrogant, bullying, and entitled to my mind.  I was a little incensed by his comment in the first of the tv series about the Terrier, which he advanced his company’s retooled production of to undercut Rails’ effort; he stated that he considered it ‘our’ prototype, despite having inherited it from Dapol/Replica, and as if anybody else having a go in an open competitive market was unaccaptable temerity!

He put back production of the large prairie to achieve this, then brought that engine back to the head of the queue in response to Dapol’s model, and I am not going to rehash the Hornby/Hatton’s generic affair.  

That said, he was almost certainly the right man to dig Hornby out of the holes it got itself into, possibly the only one who could have done this, clearly good at a job I couldn’t hope to have ever coped with, and a gentleman in most circumstances.  None of my above comments prevent me congratulating him on his achievements at Hornby, or wishing him the best possible luck in his future retirement/consultancy life.  I also wish nothing but success for Montana or whoever replaces him, and for Hornby in general, though I fear that Simon’s legacy, TT120, will mean that there will be few further 4mm products from Margate that will interest me.  

End of an era!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

On 02/06/2023 at 23:05, woodenhead said:

Hornby posted this earlier:

Is that a Pacific he's got there? Nice to know they make one of them. 

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I was a little incensed by his comment in the first of the tv series about the Terrier, which he advanced his company’s retooled production of to undercut Rails’ effort; he stated that he considered it ‘our’ prototype, despite having inherited it from Dapol/Replica, and as if anybody else having a go in an open competitive market was unaccaptable temerity!

I recall the sheer cynicism, not to mention hubris, of the attitude; we can rip-off the products of retailers and yet they'll still have to sell our stuff! Well, Rails doesn't anymore, and Rails does not seem to have suffered from no longer providing Hornby and its customers with a free customer care service for all the reject products; the lack of quality control being at least one issue Mr Hornby does not seem to have cured.

Mind you, the best bit of that TV show, IMHO, was when Uncle Simon threatened to burn down Rails of Sheffield's shop.  Classic.   

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Is that a Pacific he's got there? Nice to know they make one of them. 

Nope, it's not. A W1. Details, details, details!! 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Nope, it's not. A W1. Details, details, details!! 

You lost me there, I don't speak LNER.

I  suspect that, in so very many ways, I am not Hornby's target audience. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I’m not SK’s biggest fan, as I don't approve of some of the gazumping of other people’s prototypes that he has encouraged H to indulge in over recent years, which came across as arrogant, bullying, and entitled to my mind.  I was a little incensed by his comment in the first of the tv series about the Terrier, which he advanced his company’s retooled production of to undercut Rails’ effort; he stated that he considered it ‘our’ prototype, despite having inherited it from Dapol/Replica, and as if anybody else having a go in an open competitive market was unaccaptable temerity!

He put back production of the large prairie to achieve this, then brought that engine back to the head of the queue in response to Dapol’s model, and I am not going to rehash the Hornby/Hatton’s generic affair.  

That said, he was almost certainly the right man to dig Hornby out of the holes it got itself into, possibly the only one who could have done this, clearly good at a job I couldn’t hope to have ever coped with, and a gentleman in most circumstances.  None of my above comments prevent me congratulating him on his achievements at Hornby, or wishing him the best possible luck in his future retirement/consultancy life.  I also wish nothing but success for Montana or whoever replaces him, and for Hornby in general, though I fear that Simon’s legacy, TT120, will mean that there will be few further 4mm products from Margate that will interest me.  

End of an era!

I would sum it up in fewer lines…

imo, the last 6 years, Hornby have created pricing and technical gaps that allowed Accurascale, Cavalax, KR, Pi, Flangeway, Kernow and others to subsequently fill. Whilst spending time on Steampunk, legolike toys, TT120 and other diversifications from the core, all whilst somewhat upsetting the long term retail trade bedrock upon which they are built.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

the last 6 years, Hornby have created pricing and technical gaps that allowed Accurascale, Cavalax, KR, Pi, Flangeway, Kernow and others to subsequently fill. Whilst spending time on Steampunk, legolike toys, TT120 and other diversifications from the core,

Even if they hadn't produced Steampunk and the Lego-like toys, the time saved wouldn't have allowed them to fill all the gaps in the market to keep your list of competitors out. Only TT:120 has needed any significant investment, and that's been a long-term project. Besides, part of Hornby's DNA is they are a toy company, and not just a model one. They also produce a full range, not something anyone on your list can do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Do we actually know that?  Should we imagine SK cackling his way back to Beelzebub, or just trotting towards a cliff, laden with the sins of the company?

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hornby.jpg

An interesting item in the display case...

KR Models next unique model with fully working valve gear.

I did spot that in the video, you have to imagine that he probably also saw a potential for money making off the Stockton and Darlington anniversary thats coming up in a couple of years - plenty of time for them to have engineered something with the NRM unless Rails have gotten that one tied up.

• Funny 3