Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What's your latest Swiss railway-themed aquisition?

SBB1

16 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

A real bargain just arrived today. Hobbytrain Re4/4 II of the first batch in green. There’s a 2021 date written on the box, but it looks like it’s never been used and ran well straight from the box.

Even the most discounted price I’ve seen for a ‘new’ one was in the region of £120. This one, £50! 

IMG_5163.jpeg.149a6d99f11f1f0556b9dc326f8d5e6b.jpeg

And I thought the days of the eBay steal were long gone.

Mark

That's a really nice model Mark and a super price too. I have the same one in red, they are lovely runners too.

• Like 1

I’ve had another Contikits splurge. Some more FS passenger stock, and some other little gaps filled.

The rarest addition was probably this Wabu small series full brake, obviously adapted from Hobbytrain RIC parts.

IMG_5206.jpeg.6aa5b11563fed1ebd056c11157d56e53.jpeg

A lot less sophisticated is this Lima FS full brake. It’s not accurate at all, but it’ll be a useful stand in as there’s no sign of this livery appearing on something more accurate any time soon.

IMG_5205.jpeg.3ed85fd49ebcd4f2cdfcb894b2607f17.jpeg

Just like 95% of people who have bought the Kato RIC pack with two couchettes and a green/grey RIC rebuild I suspect, there was only really one of the three that I ‘needed’ but they don’t come up often in the U.K. so never mind. I’ve seen some suggestions that the livery doesn’t sit well next to Roco/Fleichmann EWIV, but I don’t think it’s that bad.

IMG_5199.jpeg.b6dad9ef25cf899d70a91143b4d28680.jpeg

And I’ve now got an excuse for an EWIII to make an appearance in due course. A pair of the Sputnik brakevans used as barrier vehicles for moving EWIII stock. The Arnold Ee3/3 was also a new purchase.

IMG_5207.jpeg.c045444f5b5da2b7ef33f65a593d5a70.jpeg

I think I’ve added a dozen carriages, two brakevans and two locos in a little over a fortnight. The modelling budget has really had a battering this month - whoops!

I’ve also just realised that I’ve now got more than 100 carriages for a layout I haven’t even started 🤦‍♂️

Mark

Edited by MOB 2002
Addition
  • Like 7

This month really hasn’t gone well. Just when I thought the new Hobbytrain Re4/4 IVs might never arrive - this appeared on the Scograil website:

IMG_5291.jpeg.a3307f968ca1325973db93541f984fe2.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg.3da6f2333bb81ae89bfece8b5f7df889.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg.9e9ece442c4f1fa55ed0eb992219777a.jpeg

Looks pretty good, runs really well and of course a vast improvement over the old Roco model in terms of detail.

Must resist getting another!

Mark

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MOB 2002 said:

This month really hasn’t gone well. Just when I thought the new Hobbytrain Re4/4 IVs might never arrive - this appeared on the Scograil website:

IMG_5291.jpeg.a3307f968ca1325973db93541f984fe2.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg.3da6f2333bb81ae89bfece8b5f7df889.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg.9e9ece442c4f1fa55ed0eb992219777a.jpeg

Looks pretty good, runs really well and of course a vast improvement over the old Roco model in terms of detail.

Must resist getting another!

Mark

That looks really good! Is the pantograph poseable like their Re620’s or is it sprung?

The windscreen wipers look seperately fitted. That’s a nice touch.

The pantograph is sprung. Certainly not the best on the market, but not the worst either. Windscreen wipers, front hand rail and mirrors are all separate parts. The mirrors in particular are an immediately noticeable improvement on the old Roco models big plastic lumps.

Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

That looks really good! Is the pantograph poseable like their Re620’s or is it sprung?

The Re6/6 with the poseable (ie plastic) pantographs are 'Kato', not 'Hobbytrain'. There is a subtle difference between the two brands.

Does anyone have any views on when we have to stop referring to this as a hobby and start calling it an addiction? 

IMG_5321.jpeg.912ed9930e891dae36c3db0f7f920ec4.jpeg

Piko Ae3/6 No. 10710 joined the collection today. I’ve wanted one of these for ages and nearly bought one from Germany, but one finally came up on UK EBay and I was weaker than I realised. 

It’s actually a pretty old model now, but I don’t think it had ever run. Took some liberal application of graphite to the rails and a spot of lubrication for satisfactory running. May need a bit more attention yet.

Mark

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY IN CAMEL TROPHY LIVERY

Busch have released a model of a 1992 Land Rover Discovery in Camel Trophy livery for HO scale. For those who did not recall, including me, Camel Trophy was an off-road vehicle-oriented competition that was held annually between 1980 and 2000 best known for its use of Land Rover vehicles over challenging terrain with many vehicles painted in a distinctive “sandglow” livery as this model. The event was won in 1992 by Switzerland represented by this vehicle driven by Alwin Arnold and Urs Bruggisser. The Land Rover comes well packaged and it just needs a couple of number plates added to finish it off.

AVAILABILITY: www.goldenvalleyhobbies.co.uk

Busch 51938

So my new acquisition is not a railway item this time but at least it is Swiss based! :-)

SWI 1 LR.jpg

SWI 2 LR.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Also after a long wait for the right opportunity, a (part digital) Piko Ae 3/6 - also the 10710 version - ie with plates in good for the period (which I witnessed) up to the moment when plates were removed.

About £120 from a  model shop in Bern

I also bought a pair of Aare Valley Models limited edition hoppers (they use the Fleischmann model as the base). I got the purple pair as I've always had a soft spot for the one with the wheatsheaf image - long since available in HO. 

Not pictured are the two N train signals I managed to afford!

20240509_132928.jpg

20240509_163128.jpg

20240509_163253.jpg

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

I also bought a pair of Aare Valley Models limited edition hoppers (they use the Fleischmann model as the base). I got the purple pair as I've always had a soft spot for the one with the wheatsheaf image - long since available in HO. 

20240509_163128.jpg

20240509_163253.jpg

I’m not sure the hoppers are repainted Fleischmann models looking at this article in N Bahn Magazin. I don’t read German but pretty sure the article is comparing  AVM and a  Fleischmann one.

Btw, I got a a pair of Fleischmann SBB ones from the Fleischmann stall at InterModelbau last month for 39.99 Euros.

Also got a Hobbytrain SBB Re4/4 II in red for 70.00 Euro, no instructions or label on box end indicating catalog number but not a ‘second’.IMG_0889.jpeg.527964f23ee3b4149a6f23feb95ff9e4.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
Add something
  • Like 1

The second hand ex DB Am4/4 was not one of the SBB’s finest moments, but nevertheless I’ve been looking out for one as part of the stock collecting for my new layout.

This is the Roco version and it looks great. However, true to the original, it doesn’t really work! I’ve only investigated quickly and it seems to be a problem somewhere in the gear train within one of the bogies. My current explorations have only succeeded in making it worse so far, but I’ll have another go again shortly.

If all else fails, it’ll look lovely sat in a siding awaiting attention, just like the real thing!

IMG_5486.jpeg.99e697469603afcd3f6000dee9370f22.jpeg

Mark

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2024 at 21:51, MOB 2002 said:

Does anyone have any views on when we have to stop referring to this as a hobby and start calling it an addiction?

I do, it suggests it's a bad thing and gives people an excuse to send me away to get treatment!!🤪

On 23/04/2024 at 15:05, swisspeat said:

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY IN CAMEL TROPHY LIVERY

Busch have released a model of a 1992 Land Rover Discovery in Camel Trophy livery for HO scale. For those who did not recall, including me, Camel Trophy was an off-road vehicle-oriented competition that was held annually between 1980 and 2000 best known for its use of Land Rover vehicles over challenging terrain with many vehicles painted in a distinctive “sandglow” livery as this model. The event was won in 1992 by Switzerland represented by this vehicle driven by Alwin Arnold and Urs Bruggisser. The Land Rover comes well packaged and it just needs a couple of number plates added to finish it off.

AVAILABILITY: www.goldenvalleyhobbies.co.uk

Busch 51938

So my new acquisition is not a railway item this time but at least it is Swiss based! :-)

SWI 1 LR.jpg

Thanks, I have both a train and Land Rover 'addiction', and a quick google shows Busch also have a Camel Trophy 90 (German) and 110 (Dutch) to go with the Swiss Disco. This thread has just cost me over well over CHF100!!😁

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

The second hand ex DB Am4/4 was not one of the SBB’s finest moments, but nevertheless I’ve been looking out for one as part of the stock collecting for my new layout.

This is the Roco version and it looks great. However, true to the original, it doesn’t really work! I’ve only investigated quickly and it seems to be a problem somewhere in the gear train within one of the bogies. My current explorations have only succeeded in making it worse so far, but I’ll have another go again shortly.

If all else fails, it’ll look lovely sat in a siding awaiting attention, just like the real thing!

Mark

Mine had Farish-style split gears on at least one of the powered axles. I found replacement wheelsets on Ebay.de and the actual repair was straightforward.

Subsequently sold, but I still have a ‘dead’ Minitrix 12518 and a DCC sound-fitted donor loco somewhere...

6 minutes ago, Montreux_1991 said:

Mine had Farish-style split gears on at least one of the powered axles. I found replacement wheelsets on Ebay.de and the actual repair was straightforward.

Subsequently sold, but I still have a ‘dead’ Minitrix 12518 and a DCC sound-fitted donor loco somewhere...

Taking the bogie frames off, I think they’re all split, but only one seems to be binding. Might attempt a little bit of gentle attention with a file first, just to see if it will get a rough mesh and to see if there’s anything else wrong.

I can’t fault the accuracy of all this though - clearly buying secondhand V200s is fraught with problems!

Mark 

34 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

Taking the bogie frames off, I think they’re all split, but only one seems to be binding. Might attempt a little bit of gentle attention with a file first, just to see if it will get a rough mesh and to see if there’s anything else wrong.

I can’t fault the accuracy of all this though - clearly buying secondhand V200s is fraught with problems!

Mark 

At least the prototypes worked some of the time, I saw them hauling ballast trains in 1991…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

Mark

I has always envisaged getting one of the the V200s as an 'easy way' to an SBB liveried loco, but decided it would be cheaper to repaint an age-old Minitrix DB V200. They certainly work as the innards of the old models (whilst basic ) were robust! However I have never got round to doing it as the need for such a loco to be represented a Swiss layout fades into history. Despite frequent visits to my now departed family in Switzerland in the period they were working I never saw one in action, which says something!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a nice delivery this morning, containing my preordered Kato ABB Allegra. I'm glad these managed to come out roughly on time! Here are some pictures.

IMG_1348.jpg.8402e0c4d12c02b3e0a8a3271e7ab743.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg.9a91e4bf084b0b54ac18cb16f95711d3.jpg

Packaging is standard Kato packaging for the Allegra (non-book), but this one has clear Noch branding all over it, and they want you to know this is a Limited Edition "EXCLUSIVE for NOCH". My guess is that Noch ponied up the cash to order some custom Allegra's from Kato, as there probably wouldn't have been enough sold for Kato to take the risk by themselves.

IMG_1347.jpg.a84ba6a5dfbc55265c30883b4d439463.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg.69311bedd237b163f8a89b1e95db97d0.jpg

The ABB livery application is very good. It's not fully crisp but I would still class it as "very good". An interesting observation is that the main bodyshell is fully molded in white plastic, unlike the normal Allegra which is molded in red plastic. It appears that the red cab ends are fully painted onto the white plastic. These are superb and you can't tell the difference between the normal Allegra molded in red, color matching appears pretty much spot on.

Running qualities are typical for the Kato Allegra. It is very smooth at slow speeds, and acceleration is also smooth, however just like my other Allegras, it sounds like a portable vacuum cleaner. Here's a small video of it running, along with a couple of EW I's and Bernina Express panorama cars.

As the split body chassis hasn't changed, DCC fitting will be as much of a pain as usual.

Kato/Noch RhB ABB ABe 8/12 Allegra - YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PomZUZwFBWE

It's awesome to see this prototype in Nm9 model form, the livery is a particular favorite of mine. And Kato have done a lovely job as usual. Although I admit I seem to have a thing for white RhB rolling stock, ie. the Holcim Ge 4/4 III is another favorite...

Edited by mr_hobbles
  • Like 8

Thanks for posting. Very smart! I'm eagerly awaiting the version in Arosa livery (couldn't afford both).

Did you import it from Europe?

I've found they run much quieter without the body - which seems to amplify the sound - though of course not nearly so pretty!

I've been trying to focus on the Z scale project and I'm determined to finish it before starting up a Swiss N caper, but that doesn't mean I can't collect for the latter! Here are some of my pick-ups from the past year or so:

20240516_133327.jpg.1de827df243b3f143eab9c309d1767db.jpg

I've nearly completed the 8+1 Dosto rake, just short a 1st Class, but instead of another 2020 I was thinking of picking up a couple of the new release IC2000s to mix up the formation, as per the recent prototype.

20240516_134442.jpg.6a2736fbba94d6a9d1c8c2a1df219d15.jpg

From all the videos and pictures I've seen of intermodels, nothing says 'You are in Switzerland' more than a Bertschi tanktainer, though I may have gone slightly OTT.

20240516_134724.jpg.5a50c020f52685a0206b388a45d8f933.jpg

I'm a fan of all things p'way - it would be great to be able to build up a full engineering train eventually - but unsurprisingly there doesn't seem to be too much on the market catering towards this sector. Some bogie ballast wagons would have been ideal, although these dinky Xns are nice and I think there are still some knocking around on the network.

20240516_134026.jpg.a2a5d50d4ca3038b1cd3b3dd62ce9251.jpg

Finally, my one big purchase in 2024 is Fleischmann's Re 620, with a shortish train of Arnold tankers to give something to haul. This could be recency bias, but I think it's the best performing loco I've come across so far. Absolutely glides at all speeds, even on analogue. Doesn't look bad either!

20240512_112744.jpg.e79307aa612490c61172ad01f4821ae7.jpg

Thanks for sharing everyone, looking forward to seeing more!

All the best,

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Krok182 said:

Thanks for posting. Very smart! I'm eagerly awaiting the version in Arosa livery (couldn't afford both).

Did you import it from Europe?

I've found they run much quieter without the body - which seems to amplify the sound - though of course not nearly so pretty!

I did! I'm in California, I preordered from modellbahnshop-lippe. It was pricey but worked out cheaper than other avenues.

The Arosa livery one is very nice too. I was tempted to buy it, but I already own the Pirata Arosa coaches, and I thought it might be a bit too much Arosa blue for my collection. :)

Edited by mr_hobbles

With the Swiss Krono works at Menznau in BLS territory now using Smart Gigawood wagons moved by Widmer Rail Services now is the time to begin assembling my train now that C & M at Carlisle stock Sud Express products.

Here is one of the wagons that arrived today. Very good quality.

Their advert in the latest issue of CM caught me eye too and I now have a short rake of FS modern carriages for the next project. You may well ask where is the relevance of Swiss Railways to this purchase? I have a plan....

Enjoy the sunshine everyone.

Kind regards,

Peter

P.S. Excellent online service from C and M. I have no connection with them but I ordered the various products and they arrived within 30 hours.

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6571.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, swisspeat said:

Their advert in the latest issue of CM caught me eye too and I now have a short rake of FS modern carriages for the next project. You may well ask where is the relevance of Swiss Railways to this purchase? I have a plan....

Enjoy the sunshine everyone.

You‘re not going to convert them into a DTZ I suppose? (If so, I admire your bravery…)

Thanks chb! 

no, the carriages will remain as they are but I will use them alongside Swiss rolling stock. I will send the thinking behind it asap but in the meantime think BLS services from Brig southwards….

• Like 1