Model Railway Journal 296

31A

• RMweb Premium

We don't seem to have a thread for this yet; mine arrived in this morning's post.

Contents include:  Maiden Newton Progress; Using Hacked Servos (to operate points); "Nancy"; Adapting Tools; Pencader; A Turntable for Bath; and a Tribute to Tony Reynalds.  The editor is Jerry Clifford.

Edited by 31A
To correct error
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, chris p bacon said:

Was it from the bottom of a German beer glass...😁

Sadly I can't use that excuse, Dave!

I even had the Contents page open on the table beside me as I typed!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I was moved by the heart-felt tributes to Tony Reynalds, although I'd never met him in real life. His work was a constant inspiration.

Despite the various attempts by more learned friends, I still don't understand servos, so I will have to approach Bob Isgar's 'Hacked Servo' article with some trepidation...

All in all, another very good issue.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, 31A said:

Sorry, I don't know where I got that from!  Brain fade....

Its ok, I’m always telling Gerry the S&D is a far superior subject for modelling ……

4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I was moved by the heart-felt tributes to Tony Reynalds, although I'd never met him in real life. His work was a constant inspiration.

Despite the various attempts by more learned friends, I still don't understand servos, so I will have to approach Bob Isgar's 'Hacked Servo' article with some trepidation...

All in all, another very good issue.

It’s servos with all the complicated electronic gubbins removed, my kind of technology!

Jerry

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Got mine from Wild Swan at ExpoEM at Bracknell yesterday

No one has yet commented on the deliberate mistake - it was Titfield Thunderbolt not Wild Swan - although the two are probably synonymous.

22 hours ago, queensquare said:

It’s servos with all the complicated electronic gubbins removed, my kind of technology!

Jerry

Absolutely - I got the idea from him on here some months ago and have a prototype up and running, what a brilliant idea. A friend who is great at electronics thinks I'm mad but it suits me perfectly, albeit only when wire in tube isn't an option !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/05/2023 at 23:09, Hroth said:

I've an eyetest next week, I'll pop into the newsagents and see if it's arrived...

I did, it was, the nice big backend of a 61XX on the cover helped me spot it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was slightly disappointed at no MRJ when I visited Smurfs at lunchtime. 

BUT the big advantage was that I spent my afternoon-off actually doing some modelling, rather than reading about somebody else's!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My friend has just dropped off my copy, which (as usual) came from the local corner shop/

post Office.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, bit late on parade, too many nights spent in the "Grasshopper"....

Now in stock and available to order from The Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop here

Nice to see progress on ex editor Gerry Beale's "Maiden Newton" layout, and although some of us have seen an awful lot of Jerry's new turntable, it nonetheless makes for a very fine article in this issue - I love the shot of No 45 on the table with Tucking Mill in the background(!) Bob Isgar's article on dis-respecting servos is really quite appealing, as is Cardiff's "Pencader" and the interesting and thoughtful recollection on the late Tony Reynalds.

Best get out to the shed and make those dreams come true before its too late...

• Like 4