Steves´s 1980s Rail Pictures.

8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

It’s OK, you’re among friends here!

You took some good pictures on the SE divison in the early 80s, which I have enjoyed over the years. I wish I had taken more.

One of my few shots that did not have a loco in it. A MLV at Dover Priory on a hot Summers day in 1980. Taken on some chepo instant camera, I soon progressed to a Zorki.

IMG_20201213_1214402.jpg.920f8d9200eb79cfbb3604878e98e501.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Everytime I went to Saltley and Bescot it seemed to rain.

Saltley was definitely an early morning port of call on a day when the sun was out.  Not a lot of use if you weren't local enough to plan your day around that, of course 😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/05/2023 at 19:02, franciswilliamwebb said:

Saltley was definitely an early morning port of call on a day when the sun was out.  Not a lot of use if you weren't local enough to plan your day around that, of course 😎

It was quite a long way for me, a place for the southerner to see exotic northern machines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

IMG_20201215_1055302.jpg.055c230c877003ae02b9b62f04bb57d8.jpg

A class 15 in green at Stratford. Of course it was very unusal to see anything green in the early 80s.

I seem to recollect a picture of a whole line of them there, withdrawn I think. I guess this was the last of them.

Both are stationary train-heating generator vehicles, I believe.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

If you get a chance dig it out. I never saw one in Kent.

1st August 1984, Strood, Cuxton Road, 47 on the front of a returning excursion with one Scotrail coach in the formation SC 18798.

That's the Medway viaduct (M2 motorway)  in the background.

840801StroodCuxtonRoadSC18798ScotRailcoachonreturningexcursion.jpg.8c04752f04a54ad259401ae91172acee.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

1st August 1984, Strood, Cuxton Road, 47 on the front of a returning excursion with one Scotrail coach in the formation SC 18798.

That's the Medway viaduct (M2 motorway)  in the background.

840801StroodCuxtonRoadSC18798ScotRailcoachonreturningexcursion.jpg.8c04752f04a54ad259401ae91172acee.jpg

Thank you, a rare sight on the SE divison.

I have a record of 47301 with a service that started at Dover Town for that date, which sounds like a frieght train. Have you any more details on the service above?

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Have you any more details on the service above?

Just found those notes made when we were looking at how many 47s had visited E Kent, and one line reads:

"47301    01/08/1984    Rochester    down Mk1s excurson, return in evening" (yes, typo in excursion).

So maybe the loco stabled/got serviced(?) on Dover Town (a freight location), leaving its train somewhere like Ramsgate where they could service the coaches.

Vaguely recall that the rest of the train wasn't SC-prefix coaches (that would be a long day out, Glasgow-Margate). I'd noticed it in the formation when it went down to the coast in the morning, so made a point of getting a shot going back. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Just found those notes made when we were looking at how many 47s had visited E Kent, and one line reads:

"47301    01/08/1984    Rochester    down Mk1s excurson, return in evening" (yes, typo in excursion).

So maybe the loco stabled/got serviced(?) on Dover Town (a freight location), leaving its train somewhere like Ramsgate where they could service the coaches.

Vaguely recall that the rest of the train wasn't SC-prefix coaches (that would be a long day out, Glasgow-Margate). I'd noticed it in the formation when it went down to the coast in the morning, so made a point of getting a shot going back. 

Not sure where the Dover Town came from on the notes.

As you know, most of those excursions ended up in Margate. I know for a fact having witnessed it that the stock was stabled at Margate. I dont remember the 47s involved heading to Ramsgate for fuel, not to say they didnt but the fueling facilities at Ramsgate were apparently a bit basic.

A few of those out of region excursions ended up at Canterbury or more usually Folkestone. So in realation to the reference to Dover Town Folkestone would make more sense as an end destination. However would that have been routed via strood?

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1