Steves´s 1980s Rail Pictures.

6 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

. However would that have been routed via strood?

That bridge whilst located in Strood is actually on the Victoria route from Rochester Bridge Junction to Swanley which the excursion traffic would normally take - very occasionally due to engineering works they would be routed via the Dartford line.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 08/06/2023 at 11:13, eastwestdivide said:

1st August 1984, Strood, Cuxton Road, 47 on the front of a returning excursion with one Scotrail coach in the formation SC 18798.

That's the Medway viaduct (M2 motorway)  in the background.

840801StroodCuxtonRoadSC18798ScotRailcoachonreturningexcursion.jpg.8c04752f04a54ad259401ae91172acee.jpg

Presumably travelling towards Sole Street and Swanley from Rochester and already climbing Sole Street bank? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Presumably travelling towards Sole Street and Swanley from Rochester and already climbing Sole Street bank? 

Yes, just round the big curve after Rochester Bridge, through Strood town centre, and on with max power up the 1:100 towards Sole Street. With electrics, you got the classic ‘chink’ sound from the conductor rail as they took power. With a 33 on freight, a nice chattering exhaust sound. 
edit: google maps link here:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VMAKLh4eUXoUSMbr9?g_st=ic

Used to be OK for photos but the footbridge is now a caged one, making it much more difficult, and the vegetation was much higher too the last time I was there. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2023 at 23:31, SouthernBlue80s said:

IMG_20201215_1105052.jpg.e7457b0398d529c1e042982ff7a298c9.jpg

Better weather for the daytripers in 1981. 47097 August the 30th 1981 Thunders through Herne Bay on the return leg from Margate. In some years this might be the only time a 47 would visit this North Kent coast line during the whole year. So what was an everyday occurrence accross much of the rest of the network, A 47 on a set of MK1s, was once a once in a year capture on this line, usually at the end of August.

The number looks more like 47072 to me.

39 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The number looks more like 47072 to me.

Having looked at it again, I see what you are saying. I had a look at the origonal under a magnifying glass but can not make it out. Perhaps it is a picture of the return working of 47072 from Margate in 1983, as pictured above.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Early days of the Gatwick Express at the old Victoria Station.

An EMU in the background with the old orange curtains and comfortable seats that I remember.

The 73 is carrying a number '5' on a disc - they used those numbers on the Gatwick Express sets for a short while after introduction - was it a set number/ daily working diagram number I think?

And the deep comfortable seats were needed because the ride on much of the SE Division was a bit bumpy! The EPBs that I regularly caught from Medway to London had a distinctive wear patch on the upright bit of the seat moquette, where people's backs had rubbed up and down with all the bouncing. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

The 73 is carrying a number '5' on a disc - they used those numbers on the Gatwick Express sets for a short while after introduction - was it a set number/ daily working diagram number I think?

And the deep comfortable seats were needed because the ride on much of the SE Division was a bit bumpy! The EPBs that I regularly caught from Medway to London had a distinctive wear patch on the upright bit of the seat moquette, where people's backs had rubbed up and down with all the bouncing. 

Yes I remember that. The grey seat moquette with the yellow, blue, white and red bits in it takes me back whenever I see it, to the world of lightbulbs, mirrors with BR logos on, wooden window frames with gaffiti and orange curtains.

I wonder if Broadlands above is working on of the first workings, given its headboard?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2023 at 17:09, SouthernBlue80s said:

I wonder if Broadlands above is working on of the first workings, given its headboard?

The Gatwick Express launch loco was 73123 in an early version of Intercity livery and it carried that headboard for several days at least. I imagine it was transferred to 73142 at some point as I don’t remember another loco having the same headboard at launch.

Edited by brushman47544
Updated based on photos on Flickr
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2023 at 14:33, SouthernBlue80s said:

Having looked at it again, I see what you are saying. I had a look at the origonal under a magnifying glass but can not make it out. Perhaps it is a picture of the return working of 47072 from Margate in 1983, as pictured above.

Looking this later photo and your previous photos of 47072 further up the page, the weathering in the form of the bodyside discolouration below the RH serck shutters is the same.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

IMG_20201215_1054012.jpg.2cfc4ddbe728252f4901aaf87ca1ae5d.jpg

47583 County of Hertfordshire was my favourite 47, I can´t quite remember why, I guess it was because it was an early recipient of large logo. Here it is in the early 80s at Stratford after having suffered a spot of bother.

One of my favourites too, along with 574 because it had the odd headlight. 

Andi

• Like 1

IMG_20201217_1242002.jpg.dab36c7d35ebc293aea95ab32d897664.jpg

IMG_20201217_1242212.jpg.fe3f5afca5a8cfca8aeb510f0ad02923.jpg

A close call.  Taken off the bridge near Willesden at the start of the walk down to Old Oak Common. The 47 with the steel train is hard on the brakes trying to stop before hitting the light engine 37 at the red signal. It just made it.

It is hard to see, and I am not sure, but is the cab door open at the front of the loco?

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 17

On 08/06/2023 at 18:40, Southernman46 said:

That bridge whilst located in Strood is actually on the Victoria route from Rochester Bridge Junction to Swanley which the excursion traffic would normally take - very occasionally due to engineering works they would be routed via the Dartford line.

Notably on 11 June 1972 when a 47 on an excursion came off the rails with fatal effect at Eltham Well Hall. The driver, who didn't survive, was found to be intoxicated

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1