Hornby LWB van - can the ugly duckling be transformed into a swan?

Well I read page 1, then skipped to page 5, and still feel a sense of bewilderment. Why bother, is time not short enough ?

I would much rather buy a kit from Parkside, Red Panda, Cambrian or Fiveseven9 etc and get something which looks real.  Or lash out on a 3D printed shell from Thingyverse etc.   

The Hornby bogusvan has an extremely chunky, clunky and unscale chassis with a ridiculously malnourished narrow skinny body. By sticking plasticard or plastruct to it and changing it's body shape will not make it's underpinnings look any more realistic.  It belongs on the rotary cycle of ebay or in the recycling bin - end of 

13 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Well I read page 1, then skipped to page 5, and still feel a sense of bewilderment

You missed all the action on page 4...

Because I could is the answer and I enjoyed it!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 28/07/2023 at 11:18, Covkid said:

Well I read page 1, then skipped to page 5, and still feel a sense of bewilderment. Why bother, is time not short enough ?

For fun! If it all goes wrong, what’s the damage? It is a true ugly duckling of a model; transforming it into anything else is a bonus. And for anyone (like me) with relatively few skills and little practical experience, it’s a chance to practice said skills without worrying about damaging or destroying a “proper” model!

On 28/07/2023 at 11:33, 41516 said:

You missed all the action on page 4...

Because I could is the answer and I enjoyed it!

Like @41516 said! And he’s also shown - on page 4 - what can be done with it using a bit of ingenuity and an application of modelling skill!

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added hyperlinks!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 26/07/2023 at 19:49, Steamport Southport said:

Narrow Gauge Gunpowder Van?

Opposite end of the spectrum!  My last picture was a tad misleading, as they are the bits left over.  As with a previous picture, the roof profile is pretty good for some L&Y prototypes, including the big vacuum braked bogie vans, and making one was a bit too tempting to resist. This will be one of the first 50 build c1902 with the single doors. Why? Well, I had some Ratio bogies from a job lot of bits and the big L&Y on the HMRS transfer sheet won't use themselves... 

Only roof and ends used this time - Sorry!  You could reverse the original sides and join multiple bits together, but some of the plastics seem to drag/delaminate and not take a nice scribe. With something like this, the plank lines really do need to be as straight as possible or it will leap out.

Placed together, need to order L&Y buffers, horizontal vac cylinder and axleboxes from Wizard and then think about how to do the turnbuckle underframe.

LY_30t_1.png.38002948482d636998ea516b4f83c678.png

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 28/07/2023 at 11:18, Covkid said:

I would much rather buy a kit from Parkside, Red Panda, Cambrian or Fiveseven9 etc and get something which looks real.  Or lash out on a 3D printed shell from Thingyverse etc.   

The Hornby bogusvan has an extremely chunky, clunky and unscale chassis with a ridiculously malnourished narrow skinny body. By sticking plasticard or plastruct to it and changing it's body shape will not make it's underpinnings look any more realistic.  It belongs on the rotary cycle of ebay or in the recycling bin - end of 

Because... fun. I find myself telling all of this to a lot of folk these days;

The point isn't to make something that one of the companies you listed provides.. in fact there isn't one. It's a simple exercise in good old fashioned modellling. Nobody is looking to make anything realistic or accurate -  the thread wouldn't be here if we were! - it's merely a bit of fun to see what can be done with what is very widely available... and very cheap.

With the money matters going on in the world (and the need to recycle and reuse plastic items), there's never been a better time or excuse to make something that represents something, out of something that is, very clearly, nothing. It's something that personally I'm quite passionate about, being a fan of old Limas and the like... see the work-in-progress Hornby '86 in my avatar, or the Triang AL1 I'm taking a file to as I type this.

Skills are developed, fun is had and experiences shared; not to mention a crappy wagon is finally taken off the toy fair circuit and made useful for once in it's life... money is also saved. It's the old ''I made that!'' mentality which means so much to us all. Seeing potential in otherwise disposed-of things is a valuable commodity in it's own right too which has saved me hassle in other hobbies, an' all.

I, for one, certainly can't wait to turn one into an SPV inspired parcels van. I might even go further and bodge something departmental; generator van for a crane/excavator, perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

On 31/07/2023 at 04:07, 41516 said:

Opposite end of the spectrum!  My last picture was a tad misleading, as they are the bits left over.  As with a previous picture, the roof profile is pretty good for some L&Y prototypes, including the big vacuum braked bogie vans, and making one was a bit too tempting to resist. This will be one of the first 50 build c1902 with the single doors. Why? Well, I had some Ratio bogies from a job lot of bits and the big L&Y on the HMRS transfer sheet won't use themselves...

Do you have a step-by-step for this? This is giving me rather a lot of very interesting ideas.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

Do you have a step-by-step for this?

I'll do something when I get nearer finishing, I'm trying to leave space in the thread for others, rather than dominating the OP's thread with my posts.

Going back to the raw material, these are on ebay, with the bodies made to look similar to the BR 1/221 Izal Palvans.  Would be worth a revisit of the idea with shortened chassis and widened body.

Edited by 41516
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 41516 said:

I'll do something when I get nearer finishing, I'm trying to leave space in the thread for others, rather than dominating the OP's thread with my posts.

Going back to the raw material, these are on ebay, with the bodies made to look similar to the BR 1/221 Izal Palvans.  Would be worth a revisit of the idea with shortened chassis and widened body.

Grand to hear; that idea for bogie vans sounds like it'd be good to put together, since I bought an L&YR engine the other day.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 06:34, 41516 said:

They look rather good, reminiscent of the Peco n gauge model which I think was made to fit the same chassis as their 45t tanker

• Agree 1

Good spot! Currently attempting to save the images as inspiration!

As mentioned elsewhere, I am away from home for a couple of weeks but am not too far away … now wondering about bringing over a basic set of tools and materials and spending some time whilst dog/house-sitting just getting on with my bodgery instead of endlessly procrastinating!

HOURS OF FUN!

• 2 months later...

It’s been too long - goal for tomorrow - make a start!

(Yes, I know I have a Joueffstein to finish, a half started tram loco, a half started skirted 04, but … you know…)

Meanwhile, happened to find this for sale on eBay…

IMG_4537.jpeg.defd2cbabeb163b8e012a725ec1ea849.jpeg

I thought it might be a very good repaint but it turns out it is a Hornby version (although one I’ve never seen before) that was only available as part of their Majestic digital set R2272!

Nice finish … nowt like a VCA though…

🤣

• Like 3

That's exactly what I thought when I bought them! I got this pair and another pair previously, the previous ones are painted green but have extra ribs so look more like the Ford vans I think. I have them stashed in a box for now ready to go after the current coaches on the bench.

Rough plan is to cut chassis down to fit thr body, check the bodyside ribbing to check it best reflects an Izal/Ford and generally just tidy them up a bit. 

Will post pics when I get to them

Cheers

James

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pick up four Bachmann VBA/VDA van bodies* off eBay for a song…

Compare against the “tanker” chassis under an UDV …

Take a ruler and make a few pertinent measurements …

1) Remove one centre door from the sides and shorten the roof, and the shortened body is more or less the same length as the chassis!

2) Remove buffers and bufferstocks (buffers to be glued into the bufferstocks moulded on the van ends) …

3) Glue body together (and provide suitable strengthening inside) and make body good with filler, before fitting a false floor to fasten the underframe to …

4) (Possibly) Shorten underframe slightly to fit between headstocks …

5) Fasten chain anchor points along chassis appropriately

6) Repaint as fictional European train ferry van

I’m up to step (2) … pictures to follow!

HOURS OF FUN!

* It’s not cheating - it’s doing something with the underframes!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

Time for a thread reboot.    Dunno who these 'Loggs' fellows are...

loggs2a.png.b1113e7123957758a20c328fa186f405.png

I got a bit fed up with doing 'useful' modellling, i.e making things of future me will need. After rescribing and adding strapping to the insides of several Slaters wagons over christmas I completely lost the will to scribe the floors. I needed some escapism for January.

Thanks to watching some VGAs thump through the station one morning at the end of last year planted the seed, so the result being 'what if VBA but also VGA?' isn't a surprise due to the need to both widen the van and ideally finding a new roof that wasn't a traditional full arc.

Left over sides from the previous victims, lengthened chassis, new ends.  If I hadn't used the roof sections for the L&Y van (it will return...), the top roof section would be a narrowed part from the LWB van. Left over Cambrian oleos, Parkside tube buffers, etc.  Hiding undergubbins with VGA type frames helps too.  Trying to remove the moulded brake lever off the chassis isn't nice, but doable with a careful use of blade and rotary milling tool, it can be just about done.  Over exposed photo below to try and illustrate.

loggs1a.png.5e6a110866ced81f5869aa4dcc20acbf.png

I was going to hold on for a full reveal after it gets painted, but that could be months at this point, so here we are!

Edited by 41516
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

@41516 I applaud you 👏

Due to enforced “rest”, I might (might) just get around to doing some further hacking.

It’s a “might”, though - I’m sleeping an awful lot (‘Post viral exhaustion’, don’t you know?) which means odd waking times (note the time of this post!) and also means that I can suddenly run out of juice (let alone mojo) at a moment’s notice!

But very much liking what you have done there!

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 1