Hornby LWB van - can the ugly duckling be transformed into a swan?

7 hours ago, 41516 said:

GWR Mink F would be worth looking at. Slightly wishful at the moment as that was the one body I have and I'm not buying another unless I find a very cheap one.

Nobody seems to want this one but presumably still not very cheap enough with p&p included:

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/Hornby-r202-reconafork-van-boxed/

On 07/06/2023 at 18:22, Halvarras said:

Nobody seems to want this one but presumably still not very cheap enough with p&p included:

The four vans I picked up as a job lot were probably ignored by most bidders because they had been badly repainted, but worked out at just over £3 each … I’m guessing the cheapest way of getting hold of these is via exhibition “rummage boxes” or at swap meets/toy fairs where these might pop up randomly. eBay sellers tend to want at least £8 for them plus p&p.

Meanwhile, I’ve located my razor saw… 😆

Edited by SteveyDee68
Finished a sentence!!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

The four vans I picked up as a job lot were probably ignored by most bidders because they had been badly repainted, but worked out at just over £3 each … I’m guessing the cheapest way of getting hold of these is via exhibition “rummage boxes” or at swap meets/toy fairs where these might pop up randomly. eBay sellers tend to want at least £8 for them plus p&p.

Meanwhile, I’ve located my razor saw… 😆

imagen.png.88be53101cc4eb443ff6ea96c8f53f57.png

Might be a better idea?!!

Mike.

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

imagen.png.88be53101cc4eb443ff6ea96c8f53f57.png

Might be a better idea?!!

Mike.

@Enterprisingwestern isn’t a sneering elitist … he’s just a very naughty boy! 🤣

(Couldn’t help but sneak in a semi- quote from one of my favourite films of all time!! 😂)

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2

On 07/06/2023 at 18:22, Halvarras said:

Boxed innit?

I would leave that for a collector, these are ten a penny if you look in the right places.

Also look in "Hornby job lots" on eBay. Some on there now with about six mixed wagons for £20 BIN.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not seeing any redeeming qualities in this vehicle.  The underframe and body both need to go, which is nonsense of course.  Find a subject that gives you a fighting chance of producing something decent.

In an earlier time I did a full upgrade to the three infamous Hornby 6 wheeled vans - LMS Palethorpes, GWR Palethorpes and LMS Insulmilk.

These required a replacement chassis from plastic card and Comet details.  The Insulmilk got a Slaters Cleminson chassis.  They came out quite well if I do say so myself.  The LMS vans benefited from having mostly accurate bodies even if they were 4mm short (quite a common thing for Hornby stock of this era).  The GWR van body was not the least bit accurate but I chose to ignore that.

P1010001-009.JPG.84ecd7af8970b9a1e6bb4d39112d3303.JPG

John

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

WIth rain druming on the windows and thunder and lightning in the sky, there was a terrible cry as another one arrived.  With a lot of other odds and ends to be chopped up, so don't expect anything soon, the inspiration isn't there yet.

For anyone intending to play along at home, some extra thoughts.  One and a bit sides would give enough to create a standard pallet sized doorway (as modelled by a Bachmann VDA), with the ends trimmed down a touch. 

image.png.4ad8b7dc07f14679448e510c9888ec99.png

Some more though to create a Vanwide+ perhaps, or maybe go the other way and cut the chassis down to 12ft WB, akin to the air braked ODA pipe wagon conversions.

On the other hand,checking against GWR Goods Wagons, the roof profile is excellent-to-reasonable for a range of GWR Iron Mink related wagons....

Edited by 41516
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/06/2023 at 23:07, brossard said:

Not seeing any redeeming qualities in this vehicle.  The underframe and body both need to go, which is nonsense of course.  Find a subject that gives you a fighting chance of producing something decent.

I totally accept your comment except that the whole point of even starting this thread/asking the question is that this wagon is such an ugly duckling/work of fiction/POS* that is a bit of fun to try to turn it into anything vaguely reminiscent of something that might have appeared on a British railway at some point in time (as viewed from three feet away from the model, squinting with one's eyes half shut or with the lights dimmed very low).

The outcome may not be accurate or prototypical, but the idea is to make it passably realistic. 

The acronym YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) applies to this in spades - the wagon already produced by @41516 is already multiple times better than anything I expect to produce myself, but as has also been commented these are cheap little wagons to really practice hacking bodgery modification skills upon, with little of monetary value lost if it all goes pear shaped!

I really like your six wheel van - that's a good demonstration of modelling skill, and practicing upon a UDV helps develop the skills necessary to emulate your work.

Peace

Steve S

* Not to be confused with Point Of Sale ... I watched far too many Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and wondered why he was describing a new piece of front of house kit (that everyone always fawned over) in such a derogatory fashion until a friend pointed out my error!

• Like 3

Finally had a chance to open up my purchase of four UDVs from eBay, which was so well packaged that I had to destroy the box to get in at all!

Four bodies have all been (badly) painted (you can still see the “Kellogg’s” branding through the paint)

Two are open box construction, two have the internal strengthening mouldings.

All are on Hornby Railways “Made in England” chassis with dirty great metal tension lock couplings at each end.

All four have spoked wheels, but one chassis has the “square axle” wheelsets (the others have round axles)

I suspect these are replacement wheels of a certain age, as they all have quite deep flanges!

Three chassis have their weights riveted in …

The fourth has a peculiar piece of clear plastic (like a glazing strip? inside the body bent around to press down on the weight to hold it in place.

Very odd. 

Wonder if that is a user-added extra?

Anyway, they are now destined to be … messed about with!

To be continued…

IMG_3483.jpeg.6d98d09b9fb5e45be2d57096b02b097f.jpeg

Like “Friends”, I title this “The One With Square Axles And Some Odd Plastic Inside It”

IMG_3482.jpeg.fe82ec914f8d0d20dc30f1460dc573bf.jpeg

“The Ones That You Think Are The Same Until You Open Them”

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

Silver Seal wheels from the mid 1970s.

If you look at this selection only one has them, the others will have the earlier ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364297033245?hash=item54d1cb961d%3Ag%3AnccAAOSwuidkha4p&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5335817301&customid=&toolid=10049

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

This thread is not dead, merely dozing a little…

For anyone who feels the urge to take on the faux-challenge of turning Hornby’s long-in-the-tooth and utterly fictitious van into something else* then eBay can still come up trumps with bargains …

UDVs for sale

Mind you, there is one other bidder already … do hope it isn’t an RMWebber! 🤣

HOURS OF FUN!

* Other than ashtrays or landfill!!

On 22/06/2023 at 18:58, Steamport Southport said:

Well, those four I linked to sold. Not to me I hasten to add.

Kellogg's vans

Jason

Wow! £24!!! That’s … (hang on, I’ve been drinking, long story, but only way to get through a night of the WORST drag act imaginable!) … erm… £6 each!

Actually, that’s not bad!

Mind you, the three I linked to sold for £16.50, but the winning bidder appears to have changed their mind as they have been relisted!! Currently on a bid of £6 for all three! I wonder - if they don’t achieve more than £16.50 will they be relisted again?!

The sides remind me somewhat of Milwaukee Road's horizontal-rib boxcars.

The size really does imply 'gunpowder van'. One idea I've had would be to give them basic MoD o.d. and lettering, and get a more appropriate frame underneath, e.g. a Parkside 12-footer (PA10?).

Another thought I had was that the doors look like they could be used for an insulated or refrigerated van. Cut them out of the sides and reset them flush, coat of white paint (or ice blue, depending on era), and there you go. 

That said, my favorite idea for refurbishing one of these would be to cut one down to 18 scale foot length, add a couple mm each width and height, and paint as a 'North Western' (that is, Sodor) steel van. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Ten minutes with a Hammer and I could turn them into model "landfill" <ahem>

Now, now, don’t put yourself in danger of being branded  “elitist” @lofty1966 🤣

We’ve already had suggestions to melt them down/throw away everything but the wheels etc etc etc!

ANYONE can do that - even I, with no discernible bodgery skills at all, could do it!

It is what might you make of them that is the challenge! 

(And I have today - foolishly - promised Morgan @Morgenergy at The Locoshed that I shall attack one on Saturday afternoon and post the results up here!!)

Go on, @lofty1966, you know you want to really!! Go on, go on, go on, go on!!

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Tagged Morgan!!
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 00:58, LL1060 said:

Another thought I had was that the doors look like they could be used for an insulated or refrigerated van. Cut them out of the sides and reset them flush

I’ve had the same thoughts regarding refrigerated vans, but I’m not sure I follow what you suggest here, @LL1060 - do your mean cut the doors themselves out, or inset the doors so they are flush with the sides? (Which might be easier?)

Steve S

27 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’ve had the same thoughts regarding refrigerated vans, but I’m not sure I follow what you suggest here, @LL1060 - do your mean cut the doors themselves out, or inset the doors so they are flush with the sides? (Which might be easier?)

Steve S

To inset the doors flush with the sides was my thought. Apologies for the confusion.

I really should try my hand at bodging one or two of these in some fashion. I might end up with one that's in a job lot I'm looking at on A Certain Auction Website. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2023 at 21:23, SteveyDee68 said:

(And I have today - foolishly - promised Morgan at The Locoshed that I shall attack one on Saturday afternoon and post the results up here!!)

Any updates on your bodgery?  I really want to see what other people can produce from such lowly feedstock.

Round 2 has begun....

image.png.581f95c1304f1106c9eb603a2d49c58c.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 41516 said:

Any updates on your bodgery?  I really want to see what other people can produce from such lowly feedstock.

Round 2 has begun....

image.png.581f95c1304f1106c9eb603a2d49c58c.png

Currently melting in the South of France on a tour with Bury Music Service (for whom I work on a Saturday) so no modelling to show here until I am home in the U.K. in a few days’ time!

Will post up then!

Steve S