Ratio Open C.

• RMweb Gold

I've now come to the "interesting" bit, the brakes.

I'm correct in thinking I hope that they are DCIII brakes, and to make a half decent fist of the underframe I will be junking the supplied parts and using Wizard etches.

So, questions, has anybody used these etches for this model, and are they correct enough to provide a successful outcome, and also did the unfitted wagon have 2 or 4 brakeshoes?

Plus, any tips and guides?

TIA.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have a couple of David Geen  open C's in the stash, I will have a dig over the weekend and scan the destructions. Hopefully they will show, what should be there.

I wasn't aware of those, perhaps a better starting point.

Thanks, the Ratio instructions are, erm, shall we say, terse?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've now come to the "interesting" bit, the brakes.

I'm correct in thinking I hope that they are DCIII brakes, and to make a half decent fist of the underframe I will be junking the supplied parts and using Wizard etches.

So, questions, has anybody used these etches for this model, and are they correct enough to provide a successful outcome, and also did the unfitted wagon have 2 or 4 brakeshoes?

Plus, any tips and guides?

TIA.

Mike.

From Atkins et al:

Only the last batch from 1941 had Morton brakes, all the previous had DCIII.

They had 4 brake shoes

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If they do revisit it then I think a complete new chassis is an absolute minimum.

Mike.

And maybe a new body as well?😄

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was thinking an entirely new model to modern standards. I don't think it's been available since the late 1970s so the moulds/tooling is probably long expired.

PECO did say they were planning on expanding the range when they took over Parkside.

Jason

Planning and doing are two entirely different things. 

Has anything new come out  that wasnt already planned when they took over?

It would be nice to see some more wagon kits, even some older ones upgraded but I'm not holding my breath. 

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I doubt you'll see a new Open C kit now; too close to the RTR Bachmann 'Pipe' wagon.  The strength of kits, especially the simpler plastic ones (Ratio/Parkside/Cambrian/Kitmaster etc) is that types and variations not covered in the RTR canon can be supplied at fairly low cost in small production runs.  Not impossible of course, and I'd like to see one!

21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I doubt you'll see a new Open C kit now; too close to the RTR Bachmann 'Pipe' wagon.  The strength of kits, especially the simpler plastic ones (Ratio/Parkside/Cambrian/Kitmaster etc) is that types and variations not covered in the RTR canon can be supplied at fairly low cost in small production runs.  Not impossible of course, and I'd like to see one!

Is that why three plastic kit ranges have just been resurrected?

Cooper Craft, Ian Kirk and Chivers. All three of which have released items already.

In the case of Chivers a few new ones, including guess what? A Tube wagon although it's LMS.

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/shop/p/rc465-00-lms-tube-wagon-dia1675

Parkside already do a BR Pipe wagon anyway. They actually look nothing like a Tube wagon.

PC43_3330883_Qty1_1.jpg

And if one of the RTR boys did make one, then how much seeing as new bog standard wagons are now well north of £35 each?

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have PM'd the destructions, such as they are.

GWopentube3.jpg.62b71dfa7d110bbcbff26ce6e1e758e3.jpg

As the destructions are somewhat lacking, here's a photo of most of the bits, laid out roughly where I think they should go.

If anyone wants the destructions, please PM me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Is that why three plastic kit ranges have just been resurrected?

Cooper Craft, Ian Kirk and Chivers. All three of which have released items already.

In the case of Chivers a few new ones, including guess what? A Tube wagon although it's LMS.

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/shop/p/rc465-00-lms-tube-wagon-dia1675

Parkside already do a BR Pipe wagon anyway. They actually look nothing like a Tube wagon.

PC43_3330883_Qty1_1.jpg

And if one of the RTR boys did make one, then how much seeing as new bog standard wagons are now well north of £35 each?

Jason

I didn't think Chivers had ever gone away, just appeared under another name ( five seven nine) for a bit. 

I think the issue is whether Peco will invest in developing or upgrading the ex Parkside Dundas and  Ratio  wagon kit ranges    

So far they seem to be distracted by their other products, namely the track ranges.

Andy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I didn't think Chivers had ever gone away, just appeared under another name ( five seven nine) for a bit. 

I think the issue is whether Peco will invest in developing or upgrading the ex Parkside Dundas and  Ratio  wagon kit ranges    

So far they seem to be distracted by their other products, namely the track ranges.

Andy

It was only the narrow gauge range that was run by one of his sons that was still available. 

The Chivers range was resurrected a couple of years ago with a few new kits and more to come. Already been buying them and still hoping the etched range makes a reappearance.

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/about

As for PECO it might be worth remembering they did switch to making PPE for about two years during Covid and also had problems with two of their major suppliers so the wagon kits were virtually discontinued. The suppliers were the transfer supplier (Modelmaster) and wheel supplier (Markits) , so it was a major problem as the threads concerning those two manufacturers show.

I believe they make both transfers and wheels "in house" now. The latest wheels do seem to be different.

Lockdown hit them pretty hard I'm afraid.

Getting back to GWR Tube wagons. I brought the subject up because I could do with some more. They do sometimes appear on eBay for silly prices so there must be a market for them and the Ratio kits do have issues dimensionally I believe.

It was more a hope they would reappear. I wasn't expecting a discussion on the matter!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The old Chivers range was available and alongside the narrow gauge.

I certainly bought some 21 tonners of them

I could have picked up a handful of Ratio Open C kits today ( with all their faults)   at less than a fiver this morning so they are still out there to be had at old fashioned prices. 

As for a discussion. It's RMWeb. 

Andy

• Like 1

Posted these photos in a previous Open C thread.   Was a kit I picked up part built, with the brakes cut down from ABS parts. 

As recieved: Bit blurry, sorry, but shows the bare basics

openC.jpg.23186f0325f88ef4aab654f0e7db1cd3.jpg

With etched levers and a few other bits.

RatioOpenC2.png.18d4a3d89859962b84e1ac3f59f98e0b.png

RatioOpenC3.png.ff5e91bcf93f6650e77f577688415bc2.png

I think I have 4 more bodies in various states. They are out there for not a lot of money.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Not sure where the idea that these date from the 1970s comes from, late 1950s anyone? Brilliant for that date and I don't remember the instuctions being much of a problem for a teenager.

My photos my help https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrtube

Paul

OK Paul, I can't resist!

That's another fiver I'll never get back!!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

Hello Mike (et al),

I did one of these, a refurbishment of one found in a box of decrepit wagons. Rather than grapple with the bits of Ratio chassis that were left, I used a Brian Morgan etch from the Scalefour Society. The results are below:

Open_C_015.jpg.1b90d3206c7a345b1ede1d9c9ca380a7.jpg

Open_C_012.jpg.6598b039a2dcf86822d41c0f63497304.jpg

And the finished article:

Open_C_017.jpg.e079d452f8561a9ac5302cba30efb43e.jpg

Adam

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Adam said:

Hello Mike (et al),

I did one of these, a refurbishment of one found in a box of decrepit wagons. Rather than grapple with the bits of Ratio chassis that were left, I used a Brian Morgan etch from the Scalefour Society. The results are below:

Open_C_015.jpg.1b90d3206c7a345b1ede1d9c9ca380a7.jpg

Open_C_012.jpg.6598b039a2dcf86822d41c0f63497304.jpg

And the finished article:

Open_C_017.jpg.e079d452f8561a9ac5302cba30efb43e.jpg

Adam

Yes Adam, I saw that , but I've got enough hot spanner projects on the go and decided another one would be a bridge too far, although, having seen that, I'm starting to waver!

Mike.