Dapol O gauge 24 ton ore & slope side mineral

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Premium

A nice surprise.

I am looking  forward to getting some of the BR grey liveried hopper wagons.  There should go well with the up and coming J94’s.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

why DO Dapol make these silly livery errors

Not sure where some of these errors actually crop up - it may be in the factory in some cases.

4564 was depicted with a short safety valve cover at every point including the pre-production sample, then the actual models arrived with a tall one.

39 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Not sure where some of these errors actually crop up - it may be in the factory in some cases.

4564 was depicted with a short safety valve cover at every point including the pre-production sample, then the actual models arrived with a tall one.

Quite possibly - but a modicum of checking before publication would have revealed the errors.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Quite possibly - but a modicum of checking before publication would have revealed the errors.

CJI.

Which one(s) are you saying are wrong please? They look all right to me.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Sitham Yard said:

Andrew

The top 5 all have the diagonal stripe at the non door end, 6th down is different.

35 minutes ago, Sitham Yard said:

Andrew

The first five open wagons - the diagonal white line should indicate the end with the opening door; ie. be at the LH side on one side, and on the RH side on the other side.

CJI.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The first five open wagons - the diagonal white line should indicate the end with the opening door; ie. be at the LH side on one side, and on the RH side on the other side.

CJI.

Sorry. I had not realised it was something so obvious.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, cctransuk said:

why DO Dapol make these silly livery errors

I suspect the answer is people will buy whatever they produce anyway so the time spent on checking and correcting etc is more limited to keep costs down.

This may be reflective of the shift in the more common aspiration that has come with the massive rise in r-t-r, from wanting to build and detail towards just wanting to run.

Hence on kit threads most errors pointed out result in the person being grateful and on r-t-r threads as likely to provoke irritation.

11 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Cos they never ever got painted on wrong ............................. 🙄

Any wagon painter who put five out of six lines on the wrong end would have his cards before the end of the day - and deservedly so!

CJI.

3 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I suspect the answer is people will buy whatever they produce anyway so the time spent on checking and correcting etc is more limited to keep costs down.

This may be reflective of the shift in the more common aspiration that has come with the massive rise in r-t-r, from wanting to build and detail towards just wanting to run.

Hence on kit threads most errors pointed out result in the person being grateful and on r-t-r threads as likely to provoke irritation.

I'm afraid that I interpret serial livery errors as not caring, and having a cynical lack of pride in one's products.

How much time does it take to look at your livery artwork and ask oneself, are the livery elements in the right place - especially on a non-symetrical model?

If the producer can't be bothered, I certainly am not interested in their products.

CJI.

These are just artwork renderings, if the correct livery elements are in the right place on the finished models then surely that is all that matters?  

I've built, painted and weathered over 200 Parkside mineral wagon kits in the past 2 decades, all with the diagonals in the right place, but I never picked up the artwork error above, because it doesn't matter until the finished product arrives.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

These are just artwork renderings, if the correct livery elements are in the right place on the finished models then surely that is all that matters?  

I've built, painted and weathered over 200 Parkside mineral wagon kits in the past 2 decades, all with the diagonals in the right place, but I never picked up the artwork error above, because it doesn't matter until the finished product arrives.

Of course it matters!!

If Dapol don't know (or care) that their artwork is wrong, it's a fair bet that they haven't informed the factory that they got it wrong.

If you have built and finished all those Parkside kits correctly, would you not be notice if Dapol's models appeared with incorrect markings?

It's difficult enough to try and ensure that poorly researched models don't appear on the market, without ignoring howlers when they are published pre-production.

CJI.

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Of course it matters!!

If Dapol don't know (or care) that their artwork is wrong, it's a fair bet that they haven't informed the factory that they got it wrong.

If you have built and finished all those Parkside kits correctly, would you not be notice if Dapol's models appeared with incorrect markings?

It's difficult enough to try and ensure that poorly researched models don't appear on the market, without ignoring howlers when they are published pre-production.

CJI.

I remember in the early 1990's using a poorly photocopied form that was a copy of a copy of a copy; my then manager quickly using word processing (novel in those days) produced a new version fit for purpose. He then commented if we can't get the little thing right there is no hope for the bigger things!

40 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Of course it matters!!

CJI.

I would of course notice if the finished article appeared with wrong elements, but this is artwork, not the finished article. 

Pre-production errors are there to be picked up, they may (probably) already know the artwork is incorrect and will be corrected on the livery samples, or finished models.  If not, its a relatively easy fix

Maybe @Captain Electra can confirm if Dapol are aware of this?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

.... they may (probably) already know the artwork is incorrect ....

Then why not say so, and save those of us who do care the trouble of pointing out what should be obvious.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

As the artist responsible for the artwork, I am most grateful to John  for pointing out the error with the white stripes and I am pleased to say it has been corrected.

I am doing most of the artworks for Dapol and I keep an eye on this forum (and a couple of others) for any feedback. If it something that I can correct, then I will.

Now, about the Stewarts & Lloyds green....

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Well done Captain Electra.  I look forward to seeing the corrected artwork.

For those interested in the 24t hoppers, Tower Models are producing three limited editions of the BR grey liveried one’s based at Rutland.  One hundred of each variant.  I have ordered mine today.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Any wagon painter who put five out of six lines on the wrong end would have his cards before the end of the day - and deservedly so!

CJI.

Took a BIG interest in BR wagons - noted many 16t minerals with the stripe painted the wrong way round.