The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Something is seriously amiss( the Great Biscuit hunt)

tigerburnie

56 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Why do some biscuits just leave a horrible coating on the teeth ?

Put them in horizontally, not vertically...

• Funny 6

One of my mothers concoctions:-

Chocolate chip cookies quickly dipped in a small amount of sherry, then sandwiched together with whipped cream in a set of about 6 or 8 biscuits, then put in the freezer. You can use any booze you like and don't over soak the biccies they go soggy, I eat them strait of the freezer, but you could let them de-frost a bit if you have patience...............................I don't.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In no particular order;

Plain chocolate Hobnobs, Hob Nobs, HobNobs??

Garibaldi dead fly graveyards.

Fig rolls.

Thankfully all available over here.

Mike.

Points of order.

Hobnobs of whatever variety are GHARSTLY things.

Garibaldi are good, but you take a bite of biscuit then a sip of tea. Their "varnished" state is fairly impervious to dunking!

You do know why figs seem to be crunchy?  Its the corpses of fig wasps inside the fig....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Points of order.

Hobnobs of whatever variety are GHARSTLY things.

Garibaldi are good, but you take a bite of biscuit then a sip of tea. Their "varnished" state is fairly impervious to dunking!

You do know why figs seem to be crunchy?  Its the corpses of fig wasps inside the fig....

Well, I'm an even bigger heathen than you think, I haven't drunk tea since 1969, blame the sub continent!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

As a point of order Mr. Chairman, in America biscuits are like scones, which to us are really cakes so is the ban on anything to do with cakes likely to lead to a diplomatic incident?

Dave

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, I'm an even bigger heathen than you think, I haven't drunk tea since 1969, blame the sub continent!

Mike.

I’m with you; tea is the drink of Satan and is yucky. Coffee is the only hot drink worth having - hot chocolate served in most places is far too sweet.

Dave

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’m with you; tea is the drink of Satan and is yucky.

Well, the internet does provide a home for deviants. We are told that we should be tolerant of their opinions, however wrong. 😁

16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

hot chocolate served in most places is far too sweet

I like it sweet, but the best hot chocolate is Cadbury Bournvita. Made in the UK, but not sold here. I have to import mine from India!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Another one I'm not a fan of is Oreos!

I just don't "get" them....

Could not agree more.  Vastly over-rated.  Promise much but deliver nothing.  Bring back Gypsy Creams.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

As a point of order Mr. Chairman, in America biscuits are like scones, which to us are really cakes so is the ban on anything to do with cakes likely to lead to a diplomatic incident?

Dave

In that case, all that matters is if you put the jam on, then the cream or vice versa...

Wars have been fought over smaller differences!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilliput_and_Blefuscu

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Scones are very nice, but not biscuits, cookies would be acceptable.....................................if only they did low sugar ones.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Oreos are the triumph of American advertising over taste.  Over-rated and over here, Mondalez have even infested Cadbury chocolate with them since they took over the company.  There again, since when have the Septics been renowned for cuisine?  Aerosol cheese and Hershey's chocolate with added vomit.  I rest my case.

Talking Cadbury, I will always risk a diabetic coma for any limited edition Chocolate Fingers flavour.  The white chocolate Fingers are divine, the half and half even better.  I just wish they would do a Caramilk Chocolate Finger.  It would be worth a week in hospital for a box or ten of those were they to come out.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

But you have to have tea with it, from a teapot and in a proper bone china cup and saucer.

Precisely....

If its just biscuits there's nothing better than a large mug of Builders Tea, 3 teabags, left to stew for 10 minutes and squashed vigourously before removal, then adding plenty of sugar and a dash of Sterri!

Edited by Hroth

28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Precisely....

If its just biscuits there's nothing better than a large mug of Builders Tea, 3 teabags, left to stew for 10 minutes and squashed vigourously before removal, then adding plenty of sugar and a dash of Sterri!

We really do need a barf emoji at times ....................lol

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Another use for Ginger(s) nuts is to use them for the base in a cheesecake instead of the traditional digestive.

Am I alone in enjoying an Arrowroot, given to me when ill as a child, they are nice dunked in a Cappuccino.

• Like 2

Uugh, sterilized milk.  Grew up with that vile liquid.  We called it "bull's milk".  The dairy in Rugeley used to sterilize the milk in the bottle laying on the side rather than upright so the skin on the milk used to break up into the bottle.  To this day I cannot stand milk skin, and even typing this I'm retching at the thought of it!

It's also why I can't dunk biscuits as if the break into the drink I'd have to chuck it as drinking any soggy lumps of biscuit makes me think it's milk skin and I'll end up spending the next few minutes with my head down the Armitage Shanks.

So "bull's milk" is a no-no for me.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Talking Cadbury, I will always risk a diabetic coma for any limited edition Chocolate Fingers flavour. 

Hi

Sorry I have to take issue with that comment. You would have to eat a lot of chocolate to get yourself into a coma although not impossible. It is more dangerous as a diabetic to have a low blood sugar rather than a high one. High blood sugars cause long term issues but low blood sugar can have you in a coma very quickly.

I am a diabetic and have been for over forty years.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Grammer
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

We really do need a barf emoji at times ....................lol

3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Uugh, sterilized milk.  Grew up with that vile liquid.  We called it "bull's milk".  The dairy in Rugeley used to sterilize the milk in the bottle laying on the side rather than upright so the skin on the milk used to break up into the bottle.  To this day I cannot stand milk skin, and even typing this I'm retching at the thought of it!

It's also why I can't dunk biscuits as if the break into the drink I'd have to chuck it as drinking any soggy lumps of biscuit makes me think it's milk skin and I'll end up spending the next few minutes with my head down the Armitage Shanks.

So "bull's milk" is a no-no for me.

Perhaps I should have attached a tongue in cheek emoji...

I loathe red top/sterilised milk too, as well as UHT milk. If either were the only option, I'd do without!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I loathe red top/sterilised milk too, as well as UHT milk. If either were the only option, I'd do without!

I quite agree. Since 1984 we have frequently been going to stay at a friend's house in a small Andalucian village and until a few years ago the only milk available locally was sterilised or UHT. We always used to stop at a supermarket on the coast on our way from the airport and stock up on semi-skimmed fresh milk but occasionally it would be impossible to get and I'd have to drink black coffee. Nowadays the local shops have fresh milk. Sadly, though, they don't stock Hobnobs but our friend makes a mean oat biscuit.

Dave   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

From a previous place of employment :

"Are you civilised, or do you drink tea ?"

Going back to the original question, hobnobs (plain chocolate if available), otherwise digestives (ditto for the choccie).

Adrian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Whilst milk chocolate Hobnobs are good, my favourite is the plain chocolate variety but recently they have been impossible to get locally. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2023 at 13:18, Phil Parker said:

I'd vote for the Tunnocks plain chocolate teacake (blue wrapper), only available from Waitrose as far as I know, but well worth the trip.

I had to call at Halfords in Bury tonight, so nipped to Farm Foods next door to check the Tunnocks offering......

PXL_20230606_183950459.jpg

PXL_20230606_184016884.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Whilst milk chocolate Hobnobs are good, my favourite is the plain chocolate variety but recently they have been impossible to get locally. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Dave

I don't go for the choc-coated hobknobs (and I prefer oaties - a reasonably quick but not excessive blood sugar rise if my sensor is accurate (ha, chance would be a fine thing)), but I like plain choc digestives. Since the pandemic they've been usually unavailable  although milk choc digestives are normally on sale.

• Like 1