RMweb

WCRC - the ongoing battle with ORR.

• RMweb Premium

Most countries I visit seem to require fingerprints these days, though usually they use electronic scanners. We came over to Batam this morning and had our finger prints scanned by Indonesian immigration at the ferry terminal. Singapore finger prints, Japan, China, the US, Thailand. Vietnam and Malaysia don't. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I'd perhaps better not travel to Europe or the USA, my fingerprints are not very clear.  Many years ago when my school in Essex was broken into staff had fingerprints taken for elimination purposes, the comment was made that the science staff had almost no patterns on their thumbs and some fingers.  The fingerprint people said it was probably down to the chemicals we kept getting on our fingers in the school labs.

I've just had a look, mine are slightly clearer now but not much.

David

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, DaveF said:

I'd perhaps better not travel to Europe or the USA, my fingerprints are not very clear.  Many years ago when my school in Essex was broken into staff had fingerprints taken for elimination purposes, the comment was made that the science staff had almost no patterns on their thumbs and some fingers.  The fingerprint people said it was probably down to the chemicals we kept getting on our fingers in the school labs.

I've just had a look, mine are slightly clearer now but not much.

David

I have a similar problem, it took about six attempts at Tokyo Haneda to get something the system would accept, similar in Beijing. And getting the green light from the system for my Singaporean ID card took forever. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

When the fingerprint was introduced by the US, Brasil objected but was ignored.

So they introduced fingerprinting of US passengers in reciprocity, but they used ink.

I recall laughing when visiting there with a US colleague as he rubbed his fingers on an ink that wasnt that easy to remove either.

Didnt last long but the diplomatic point was obviously made

😀

Chile did the same - I witnessed some very hacked off Merkins who had just had their dabs taken using ink, when I arrived at Santiago from Miami, back in late 2004. IIRC they were charged $20 'visa processing/issuing fee' - cash only - too 😄

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 11B said:

Err...

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:62568/2024-04-05/detailed

My mate tells me of this shunting into Carnforth this morning of a rake of very shiny mk1's in WCR livery!

Anyone any thoughts anyone? Whilst I try and find a photo?

Kind regards Ian 

Screenshot_20240405-154533.png

Not exactly keeping to the booked times. I see it is now 77mins late at Crianlarich.

Update. On the move again now and 123 mins late at Rannoch! Not covering themselves in glory.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, john new said:

Not exactly keeping to the booked times. I see it is now 77mins late at Crianlarich.

Fault with the CDL?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

Much talk elsewhere that Mr Smith has suggested (in Trackside mag) he may run free trains between FTW and Mallaig 

it will be a huge gamble to prod the regulator in such a way and I’d imagine either won’t get a Right Away from NR or will have an ORR inspector with a Prohibition Notice pad waiting for it at the first station stop. The RSR99 guidance published by ORR makes clear the only exemption from ‘fare paying’ is for those in a train support capacity.

it could also simply be a stock move for route learning & crew training.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 11B said:

Err...

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:62568/2024-04-05/detailed

My mate tells me of this shunting into Carnforth this morning of a rake of very shiny mk1's in WCR livery!

Anyone any thoughts anyone? Whilst I try and find a photo?

Kind regards Ian 

Screenshot_20240405-154533.png

The 5Z40 consist reported elsewhere as 94225 4951 99326 99329 21266 1840 13320 13306. None have external CDL lights apparently 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Much talk elsewhere that Mr Smith has suggested (in Trackside mag) he may run free trains between FTW and Mallaig 

it will be a huge gamble to prod the regulator in such a way and I’d imagine either won’t get a Right Away from NR or will have an ORR inspector with a Prohibition Notice pad waiting for it at the first station stop. The RSR99 guidance published by ORR makes clear the only exemption from ‘fare paying’ is for those in a train support capacity.

The cynic in me reading that about train support crew has each pax getting issued with a J cloth or sponge and then they get booked on as essential coach cleaning staff. A finger in the air to ORR.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

The 5Z40 consist reported elsewhere as 94225 4951 99326 99329 21266 1840 13320 13306. None have external CDL lights apparently 

Practicing a 25 mph run🤔

7 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

If fitted with CDL, do the coaches have to have the external lights or could a different method be used?

Ian

3 hours ago, 11B said:

https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/news/jacobite-letter-from-mps-re-wcr

Just found this on WCR web site

So still no exemption, but now getting MPs to try and get one 🤦🏻

Ian

I lost interest in that letter when they started talking about 'huge costs'. And as for saying that WCRC's fleet is '60% of the heritage rolling stock in the UK' without any qualifications. 

I don't think those MPs grasped the key point that accepting a time limited risk by giving operators an exemption whilst they fit CDL is not the same as letting WCRC carry on ad infinitum without it. Assuming that they wrote the letter themselves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

That sounds like an excellent way of getting his entire operating licence suspended. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

It would imo be very silly to run this for free with pax on.

But running an ecs would score publicity points, and using the allocated paths on demand, hence not abandoning them, and denying them from others.

Afterall LSL are scoring publicity points too right now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Just a thought, but with 37407, 37667, 37676, 37685 all at FTW, when was last time 4x 37’s were there?

i guess whatever stunt wcrc is planning, it doesnt involve heating the stock… 5-11 degrees and rain.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2024 at 21:01, black and decker boy said:

having been in Mallorca recently, there was no sign of any upgrades in progress to their scanners so chances are, you’ll still be limited to 100ml bottles etc when flying home.

Flew home from Faro after a New Year holiday. Security took me about 30 seconds to get through. They either have amazing scanners or don't give a toss.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2024 at 12:29, adb968008 said:

the Midland Pullman has booked workings WHL trips 28th May and 18th June, but then 3 x in August, 2x September, 4x October, 1x November. ..

whats more interesting is the Midland Pullman has duplicate dates to different destinations on Sept 21st.. how it can do a FTW-Mallaig turn (as part of a 3 day trip) ,  whilst running Newport to Durham will be interesting… even if they ran a different set of stock on the Mallaig dayout, and it ecs’d from FTW on friday night 2030 to Newport for 5am, did a Newcastle spin and back for 2230 it’ll still be doing well to be back at FTW for Sunday 9am, cleaned, fueled and serviced to bring the other trip south…

two MP HST sets ?

LSL are putting together another shorter HST/Pullman set for WHL duties later this year.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

94225 is the stores GUV - it usually carries all the consumables for a summer season - toilet rolls/soap etc,

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Wheatley said:

That sounds like an excellent way of getting his entire operating licence suspended. 

And if something goes wrong, instead of just the company being prosecuted, individuals may find themselves gripping the rail.

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, 11B said:

https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/news/jacobite-letter-from-mps-re-wcr

Just found this on WCR web site

So still no exemption, but now getting MPs to try and get one 🤦🏻

Ian

I wonder if they told the MP's about their appalling disregard for safety in other areas?

It's all well and good saying that they have not had a serious injury attributable to the lack of CDL. Ernie hasn't given me the £1m prize for my premium bond holding yet, but that's not to say that he won't next month.

They talk about it being a 'temporary exemption' but admit they have made no submission to fit CDL. How long is temporary? Till the stock rots?

If WCR doesn't understand its legal obligation to manage risk in line with UK law then they ought not to be allowed to operate anywhere. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

So if the NR contract is up later in the year are WCRC are trying to stall fitting CDL until they know if the contract is renewed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4