WCRC - the ongoing battle with ORR.

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

Fair point. I ended taking mine to Charlie Ware in Bristol, I'd got the screen in ok, but I'd struggled for 2 days to put the chrome trim in.

It took their guy about 3 min!

One of the oval roof lights in my Landrover took six weeks to fit, defeating all attempts by me and several mates to get the stupid filler strip thing in despite reading several descriptions of how to do it. String, bent coat hangers, twin screwdrivers, specially bent spoons, the lot. 

Then it just went in and we'd got it! The other took minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Wow, this has got to be the mother of all thread drifts...

I suppose it depends on whether those cars have CDL fitted or not. 
Apparently some owners still do run cars without it.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PhilH said:

Wow, this has got to be the mother of all thread drifts...

Well, it helps to pass the time...🙃

Mark

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Some early cars had retractable CDL lights.

image.png.853f16e6add97b3b2b25758a4256fa72.png

I remember frequent instructions from my father to bang the door pillar to release the indicator.................

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Time to get back on Topic (for a few seconds anyway)

I am up in the highlands around Fort William at the moment and am not travelling on the Jacobite (the 1st time in 8 visits since 1984) for the following reasons:

1. I vividly recall the effects of an uncontrolled door opening at Glasgow Central on the 8th of January 1977. A Class 303 (033) emu was arriving at platform 3 while the 16h10 to London Euston hauled by 87013 was departing. At the first set of double slips the rear door of the last coach opened and struck the front window of the emu which luckily only had a driver on the opposite side. The front of the emu (with the recently fitted armoured screens) took an enormous hit and was received a considerable dent.  The driver and a few passengers although uninjured emerged very shaken. It was easy to imagine what the outcome could have been despite the low speeds involved. (The 16:10 reversed into the platform and dropped off the rear coach (a Mk3 TSO) and continued to London about 40 minutes late. The emu left on a Hamilton Circle service using the undamaged cab before it was taken out of service thereafter)

2. My entire career in mega construction projects was based around compliance to hard learned safety rules and I cannot reconcile what WCRC are doing. They might (just) be compliant but they don't deserve my support.

3. The available carriages are ETH fitted which means no ventilation other than the open droplight windows. It wasn't so long ago we stressed the importance of proper coach ventilation and while COVID isn't such an issue I don't like the idea of being around 60 or so people for several hours with no ventilation.

4. There have been a few operational issues with diesel substitution (apparently due to dry conditions) as well as the well documented slipping to a stop.

As a general comment the trains don't look full, and tickets are available (I was offered tickets from a couple of sources) as it appears some tour operators are losing patience with WCRC.

I have travelled to Mallaig twice in the last week, by road, and the town seems to be managing OK with less trains. It appears as if some people are travelling using the Scotrail service which has been strengthened to 2X2 Car 156 units. The road has also been upgraded over the years and is fine for an easy day out from Fort William. 

The Strathspey Railway also appears to be picking up some custom despite the use of a diesel (Cl31 D5862) on a couple of days and it seems to have solved the volunteer issues. with everyone very helpful and enthusiastic. They were also very clear on the dangers of alighting from trains especially at Broomhill with its short platform. It was also interesting to see how people struggled to work out how to open doors.

IMG_4301_31.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Just now, ruggedpeak said:

Reality has caught up with WCRC?

Perhaps, but does the note imply that the fitting of CDL is intended to be applied to all their Mk1 Stock or just another Bitsa set they've been using?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

Perhaps, but does the note imply that the fitting of CDL is intended to be applied to all their Mk1 Stock or just another Bitsa set they've been using?

Seems to imply it but given the Comical Ali nature of some of the comms around this I would not read too much into it until there is hard evidence.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

On 15/05/2024 at 21:21, newbryford said:

Some early cars had retractable CDL lights.

image.png.853f16e6add97b3b2b25758a4256fa72.png

Our  trafficators didn't flash, and the light was about as powerful as a loco oil lamp, perhaps they were designed with WW2 blackout restrictions in mind.  The French used to wave theirs about. presumably simulate their tendency to gesticulate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

We are planning to start the Jacobite afternoon service this month (Departing from Fort William at 12:50), but due to the amount of work necessary to fit the CDL, we cannot guarantee which date the service will start. As soon as the date is confirmed, we will inform passengers directly and announce it on the news articles.

Quiescence is Acquiescence ?

Maybe 10A has been quietly busy afterall.

if its Air Braked, there is still a little problem about what will couple to the front, 2 Black 5’s cannot do a 7 day a week twice daily diagram.. and moving the third north would mean 34067 is the only wcrc AB loco in England. 60163 is at the GCR so maybe still a few months away.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

if its Air Braked, there is still a little problem about what will couple to the front, 2 Black 5’s cannot do a 7 day a week twice daily diagram.. and moving the third north would mean 34067 is the only wcrc AB loco in England. 60163 is at the GCR so maybe still a few months away.

Where's 46115?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Where's 46115?

Vac brake only.

Same as pretty much all non LSL aligned preserved steam locos that are currently operational.

my quick maths is..

35018/44932/45596*/45699/46115/48151 all VB only

34067/35028*/44871/45212/45407/60163* Vac and Air braked

* not a wcrc owned loco.

All LSLs steam fleet is Vac and Air (34046/45231/46100/60007/60532/61306/70000)

VTs fleet is Vac braked (4965/5043/7029)

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

More ECS moves today, reported elsewhere as:

37518 5Z37 to Fort william Fri 7 June with CDL Mark 2s 3362, 3232, 6021 & non CDL

fitted 9391

A scour of various groups suggest last seen: 

3362 - 8/4/2016

3232 - no record, but flickr suggests its been with wcrc since 2018 (ex cargoD set)

6021 - 2/4/2018

9391 - 24/6/2013

so more long term returnees

pulling from / updating my Apr 26th post…

so whats up in scotland..

37676/685  (94225) 4951 99326 99329 21266 1840 13320 13306

47245 45212 (35486) 6000, 6022 6103 1860 3360

45407 (35517) 3350 5453 99312 

37516 3362 3232 6021 9391

formation looks like

Train A 6000 4951 6022 1860 6103 21266 3360 

So with the latest move..

Train B could be 3362, 3232, 6021, 9391 plus one of the buffets (99312 or 1840) and maybe 5453 or 3350

if nothings come south, thats a whopping 22 coaches, 6 locos for a 13 coach operation… sidings at FW must be looking full, with the daily CS working too.

Still looks a bit minimum viable product, than investment for the long term. With only 2 steam, they will eventually need washouts, maintenace taking them down for several days a time.. so 37 haulage maybe needed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

With a thought to the expanded summer wcrc program, and the shortage of AB fitted steam…

Would it be possible to run a Vac braked steam, coupled to a dual braked diesel, which then feeds Air to the rest of the train, and run double headed, with two crews ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Stupid question, but why does CDL need air brakes?

Because most CDL systems (or at least the ex British Rail design) are air powered - and therefore need a supply of air from a loco to work and keep the doors locked.

An air braked loco can provide the compressed air necessary and hence the requirement for steam locos to be air brake fitted for use with CDL stock.

Alternative options do exist based around magnetic locks - but these require an ETS supply from the loco to work and steam locos don't provide ETS.

As yet nobody has created a CDL system which uses vaculm as its 'power' so to speak - though if someone threw enough money at the problem I'm sure one could be designed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Could you provide the air supply from a separate compressor not mounted on the loco (such as in the guard's van)?

I guess there's what's technically possible and what's practical when you consider what you'd have to go through to get a new system approved.

• Like 3

Just to add some extra detail to the above, it's not the red train brake pipe that CDL requires, it's the yellow main res air pipe that it needs.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2