WCRC - the ongoing battle with ORR.

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I think that Peak Rail's example is (or was) the only one where effort has been made to retain the original features where possible.  No-one was going to retain them as runners, but as historic vehicles some need to be retained.

One, kept as a stuffed exhibit at the NRM would make sense.

• RMweb Premium

A few hours ago I was watching the 6pm local ITV news. In the middle of that was something about what would be on the national news. I think you can guess what it was. Starts to sound like a conspiracy. And yes, the Hogwarts word was mentioned.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, PhilH said:

This. Good job Greta Thunberg doesn't know about it.

Send 'er over. I'll teach her how to fire up the forge and make a set of shoes for 'oss. She'll need plenty when there aren't any motor cars left. 

Perhaps the East Lancs should get the Horse Tram out of Castlecroft Museum to work the Ramsbottom Shuttle. Doesn't need CDL, it hasn't got a door.

No good for the West Highland though. I don't think NR do path timing for a large horse at 4mph. That would take about 10 hours to Mallaig not including a lunch stop at Glenfinnan.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

When you think how many years we used these coaches day in day out and thought nothing of it but now people have become so sheltered and basically ueselless  they cant think for themselves and have allowed people who should  know better.  It seems as though the organisations who carry out these witch hunts are representing groups who are totally not in the real world and are constantly looking to make trouble for anyone .Surely  people are able to be safe and be responsible  but we are living in real  nanny state .

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, lmsforever said:

When you think how many years we used these coaches day in day out and thought nothing of it but now people have become so sheltered and basically ueselless  they cant think for themselves and have allowed people who should  know better.  It seems as though the organisations who carry out these witch hunts are representing groups who are totally not in the real world and are constantly looking to make trouble for anyone .Surely  people are able to be safe and be responsible  but we are living in real  nanny state .

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of that, and I've already said that personally I'd quite happily travel on trains with simple, straightforward doors, without CDL, it is a fact that a few people falling out of them every year was fairly usual, so it's not as if this is dealing with a purely theoretical risk that's never actually happened.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

28 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

When you think how many years we used these coaches day in day out and thought nothing of it but now people have become so sheltered and basically ueselless  they cant think for themselves and have allowed people who should  know better. 

Whilst I may agree with the sentiment, the reality is that we older people grew up with no central door locking and therefore knew to keep away from the doors, especially since they might look closed and locked but in fact might open when leaned on.  Younger people have grown up used to doors being fully secured when a train is moving  and may not realise the risks attached to slam door carriages.  All it takes is for a child to steady themselves on a not fully closed door for them to fall out of the coach when moving.  Falling from a train may not be due to any irresponsible behavior by the victim.

If everything that used to be okay should be allowed to continue, bring back blue asbestos!

Roddy

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

And doors were not unknown to fail when leaned on, causing death or serious injury to the unwary, and of course an open door can kill or seriously injury an innocent platform bystander, so it's not quite as simple as people being "sheltered and becoming useless", or "nanny state", whatever that is.

Because back in the day of course, people were all big and tough and hard, not like us namby-pamby woftee-softee modern types, and didn't mind a few serious injuries or deaths. Hey ho, you know that's life isn't it?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

And doors were not unknown to fail when leaned on, causing death or serious injury to the unwary, and of course an open door can kill or seriously injury an innocent platform bystander, so it's not quite as simple as people being "sheltered and becoming useless", or "nanny state", whatever that is.

Because back in the day of course, people were all big and tough and hard, not like us namby-pamby woftee-softee modern types, and didn't mind a few serious injuries or deaths. Hey ho, you know that's life isn't it?

It's all too easy to say "think of others", which I find a problematic argument because it can all too easily morph in to trying to guilt trip someone, no matter the actual level of risk. I prefer to think "how would I feel if I was in that situation? - would I prefer to have that risk to myself?" That of course has its own problems - there are, after all, plenty of people who behave stupidly with a "nah, won't happen to me" view, and for many it's hard to know for sure about things you've not actually experienced, but it at least avoids the attempt at guilt tripping. So yes, in a great many situations I would indeed prefer to live in a world where those risks exist than be surrounded with the solutions to them. Protecting my physical health like that has had a not insignificant negative impact on my mental health, contributing to my depression. There are numerous exceptions of course, I've no patience for taking a simple statement and applying in blindly to everything.

And as I've said numerous times none of this actually means I'm taking WCR's side in this case.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Whilst I might not always agree with Reortes opinion, (Although these days I find myself agreeing with him more than I used to!) I very much respect it due to the way it is presented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lmsforever said:

You only get used to the risks if you use the (lack of!) technology, My partner and I got together at 20 years old. At that point HST’s were around 30 years old.

I was shocked to see that she had no idea how to open the doors on them, simply because she hadn’t had any exposure to them, as her parents owned a taxi company (and had a disability in the mix) and simply didn’t use trains. My parents didn’t drive so all holidays etc. were by train out of Didcot and I didn’t think twice about it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

But it would suggest they are using some coaches that are compliant, so a grudging compliance with the ORR whilst still refusing to do anything with their other stock.

And no Harry Potter coach, so despite this not being a Harry Potter train it does contain a Harry Potter coach, I wonder how Warner Bros feel about that?

Edit: 15th April is a key date in the Jacobite rebellion, so a deliberate choice of day by WCRC perhaps.

image.png.c9fa209f43b6a354831c326b6c816b8b.png

Says pathed as a diesel loco at 45mph

image.png.4648816fca3a4bf0777a3d627fa93205.png

Perhaps running to protect their paths from LSL taking them, maybe a 37 attached for power for the CDL and ETH

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But it would suggest they are using some coaches that are compliant, so a grudging compliance with the ORR whilst still refusing to do anything with their other stock.

interesting, the two compliant rakes they have are Northern Belle, and Maroon set.

The Maroon set is on the Great Britain tomorrow for the next week.

Northern Belle is out a few times next week also.

my plat 5 lists 33 mk2def FO and 6 SO at wcrc. though no indication of condition.

the exemption list listed 7 mk2def FOs.. though they look to be now cdl fitted.

maybe a few more have been cdl’d up, or existing exempt coaches brought out of storage and brought back to serviceable status ?

So lets see what ecs’s up to Scotland and with which loco… 44871/45407 are off to inverness and back south next week… I guess we wont have to wait long.

And no Harry Potter coach, so despite this not being a Harry Potter train it does contain a Harry Potter coach, I wonder how Warner Bros feel about that?

probably nothing, its the Jacobite, the Black5s arent in Harry Potter either.

its only by personal association.

warners probably been watching how its name is being used in this storyline though.

Edit: 15th April is a key date in the Jacobite rebellion, so a deliberate choice of day by WCRC perhaps.

Thats monday… nothings in the system for an ecs… it will need a steam loco too and thats kind of absent too.

lsl missed a chance to shine today, the 156 from Glasgow failed at FTW today, so Mallaigs last option to Glasgow left at 1250.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thats monday… nothings in the system for an ecs… it will need a steam loco too and thats kind of absent too.

lsl missed a chance to shine today, the 156 from Glasgow failed at FTW today, so Mallaigs last option to Glasgow left at 1250.

Maybe they are renting LSL's stuff that is up there 🤣

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

45212 is moving from Keighley to Carnforth this evening. I assume it's then heading north over the weekend ready for Monday morning. What the stock will be, who knows?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So an English company trying it on and having p1ssed off a lot of Scots trying to use an infamous day when the English thrashed the Scots on the battlefield to garner support in Scotland?

Genius.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

But Culloden and the '45 wasn't really England v Scotland. It was the exiled Stuart dynasty plus the few Clans who supported them verses the rest of the country. Most of Scotland supported the Government, much as they'd supported the revolution of 1688 that got rid of the Stuarts in the first place. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what relevance somebody who thinks they have a divine right to stick to their old ways losing to Government forces has to the current WCRC situation. Oh wait....

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

image.png.84689c06dbc6e64321e34be581b69ebc.png

Brit15

I do hope all of those Ford Anglias have been retro fitted with central door locking.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3