What might be The Real LNER Garter Blue ? Answer: Humbrol Enamel No 221.continues as The Paint Job.

ROSSPOP

7 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

Even with such a clear photo, it is still impossible to tell what the actual colour is. There are many shades of blue on the loco in the image. Pixellating the image helps to show that. 

Er ........ that's rather why my first suggestion was to take the model paint samples over to York for comparison ( in various lighting conditions ) using the Mk1 eyeball !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

Does anyone know a member of the Order of the Garter who might be able to help ?

I know many Morris Dancers ......will they Do????🤪

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at a colour that has been photographed or scanned and then put up on a screen to view is not, in my view, a good way of viewing colours.

I have a small pot of genuine LNER "Grass Green" and a flake of genuine LNER Garter Blue paint plus a pot of genuine buffer beam Vermillion. I also have a colour "swatch" painted in the green. I have tried scanning it and photographing it to show people what the green should look like and what appears on the screen and what I am holding in my hand are two quite different colours. We also have the problem that the paints and samples I have are now many decades old and may have changed, although they have been stored in the dark, well wrapped up and away from any light.

Blue, in particular, is a colour that tends to fade badly, as evidenced by the variation on colours on BR diesels during the blue period.

So the colour a blue loco goes out of the paintshop may well not be the same colour it would be a year later. The colour photos of A4s are very likely when they had been in traffic for a while so my show a faded version of the blue colour, plus you have all the problems with older colour photos to add to the changes when scanning and showing on a screen.

What I will say is that my sample, which is a tiny chip that I inherited (I don't know where it came from originally), is quite a dark colour, which surprised me somewhat. It is almost the "Oxford Blue" used by the LNER for departmental stock, road vehicles etc. So I am not convinced that it is right.

Looking at the three model paints illustrated, I would suggest that the sample No 2 might be best for an ex works brand new loco and 1 and 3 represent it after a while in traffic, showing a bit of fading.

The comments about "Deltic" are interesting. I have told the tale before but we had a Bachmann model running on Roy Jackson's Retford layout when there was a visit from Retford Model Railway Club (Bassetlaw Society). Two or three people were saying that the model was too dark a blue but one chap stood up for Bachmann and said that the blue on the model was what he remembered when he saw it coming out of the works when it was brand new. It ran on the WCML for a while then went to the ECML. The Retford locals saw it after the blue faded, so to them the model was too dark. Both were quite right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• ROSSPOP changed the title to What might be The Real LNER Garter Blue ? Answer: Humbrol Enamel No 221.continues as The Paint Job.
  • RMweb Gold

I`ll continue this thread as the painting commences.

The chassis is completed with Slaters drivers in place of the dreadful and unusable( as a working model) Hatchette offerings.

Priming will be done with Railmatch HMG etch primer using an Aztec airbrush with Orange 0.7 nozzle. ( less metal to be aggravated by an etch primer)

20230723_185500.jpg.e22ff26380814990ead476f955d51bc7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, ROSSPOP said:

I`ll continue this thread as the painting commences.

The chassis is completed with Slaters drivers in place of the dreadful and unusable( as a working model) Hatchette offerings.

Priming will be done with Railmatch HMG etch primer using an Aztec airbrush with Orange 0.7 nozzle. ( less metal to be aggravated by an etch primer)

20230723_185500.jpg.e22ff26380814990ead476f955d51bc7.jpg

Looks superb.

I discovered the existence of those wheels when I bought some off ebay that were advertised as Slaters'. Soon got them refunded, but the seller is still selling them as such even though I have reported them several times.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Looks superb.

I discovered the existence of those wheels when I bought some off ebay that were advertised as Slaters'. Soon got them refunded, but the seller is still selling them as such even though I have reported them several times.

Thanks Mick, yes I`ve seen them too....I expected that to happen even Hatchette`s replacements were bad. There must be plenty still around.

John

• Like 1

Get Garter...?

carter-crop.jpg.e4f547e115c0ca5425afd974c6e0687f.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist 😉

Back on topic - quite a few years ago now I bought a stash of Humbrol 222 blue which I used as BR blue, I liked using it as it took the weathering I applied on top very well, but when applied over a light grey undercoat it looked much lighter and more like garter blue.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

Ok, now that Garter Blue has been sorted out, which of these locos have been painted in the correct colour? image.png.892e690a234e904f12fbe64855858d1e.png

The true Railway motive colour is always Green....Pure Green.......😇

• Agree 2