Another Ugly Duckling?

This thread has been running for some time now:

So what about this

20230731_185234.jpg.acbb1144379410875b4900199ba37dde.jpg20230731_185234.jpg.acbb1144379410875b4900199ba37dde.jpg

I was recently asked to dispose of a number of trains on behalf of some friends whose son had grown out of trains. All the items sold on e-bay for more than I expected apart from this, which was unsold

So I set myself a challenge, could this be transformed into something that would not look out of place on my 1940's era layout? 

1) Leave as a crane wagon.

2) Take the crane off, use it elsewhere and use the wagon.

Thoughts please - no answers just saying throw it away as that is the default position anyway,

For those who don't know the model the wagon is a die casting so even removing the jib holders will require more than a Dremel or small hack saw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A few years ago somebody on here offered an etched brass detail kit for this; it was a small fret as not much was needed to be done to truly enhance the model.  Sorry, but I cannot remember the member's name.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

A few years ago somebody on here offered an etched brass detail kit for this; it was a small fret as not much was needed to be done to truly enhance the model.  Sorry, but I cannot remember the member's name.

Regards,

Alex.

Might have been Metropolitan Railways?

It contained the wheels for the winch cables. It also had the Cowans Balance weights.

I think it’s out of production. Happily, you can get 3D prints for the weights.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PZN94JCCG/cowans-balance-weight-7601?optionId=301433453&li=marketplace

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

1) Leave as a crane wagon.

Definitely option (1) 😆

Thank you for tagging in the UDV thread, as that drew my attention to your’s, which in turn reminded me that I have one of these squirrelled away for “upgrading” but had forgotten about it!

As a result of the responses here and the information on the original thread, I’ve just messaged @jonhall to see if he still has any of his kits left, and will (fingers crossed) then be able to update my own model in due course.

Now, if you have any UDVs about your person that you fancy taking a hacksaw to, please feel free to post the results up on the UDV thread! (Wondering when someone might suggest upgrading the UDW - ugly duckling wagon - aka Hornby long wheelbase open!)

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

To be honest I'm surprised it didn't sell. Cranes are quite sought after and it's still in the catalogue.

Jason

Having now read the comments on this thread I am glad it didn't.

It's now on my round tuit shelf.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2023 at 19:18, 41516 said:

Paging @jonhall to the thread.  

edit following a stock take - its a bit closer the end than I thought!, additions in bold

Thanks for tagging me, (and @SteveyDee68 ) I wouldn't have found my way here without you!

I think the Triang handcrane is one of the underestimated stars of their range, certainly Hornby have made the most of the tooling!

The prototypes have what I would regard as 3 main batches, a group of 1941 built 6.5t cranes, then two batches in 1944/5, one of more 6.5t cranes, and the other were uprated with screw jacks to give a 10t capacity jacked. The Triang is one of these 10t cranes with jacks, and pockets over the wheels to store a foot to go under the jack.

I do still have some crane kits, but they were a byproduct of a resin casting demo that I haven't done for some years, so my stock is now very low.

10t version:

Toton is out of stock. Found two!

Rugby (now Quainton Road)  - fairly good stock under 10 remain

Tonbridge West Yard (later preserved at Titley Junction - may have been scrapped? )  - fairly good stock under 15 remain

6.5T version 

Exmouth/Swnage is out of stock

Fawley Hill(McAlpine) is out of stock

the other 3 types (Shrewsbury/Herford/Watford/ I still have a few of each

I also have a completely plain shaped cast counterweight for a 6.5t crane, which makes applying the transfers from @cctransuk much easier - if you don't fancy getting wasp stripes into the recesses of the cast lettering, then these might be for you - I've never advertised them, but its the only version I have in any quantity (if only I could find them - currently missing - I will look further at the weekend)

they are now £6 each, plus the cost of a large letter stamp for P&P (due to the thickness) - please PM for how to order.

Thanks to a little flurry of interest following this thread I have almost none that are ready to send out - I need to order some more pulleys from the etcher! Might be 3-4 weeks before they arrive.

Thanks

jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Informative/Useful 2

Two quick photos showing the relative sizes of the 6.5t (middle) and 10t (right) vs the standard Triang

IMG_20230802_092151.jpg.859554093dd30dcfb3a745487e95f594.jpg

and the detail of what's cast into the backplate - given a quick coat of primer so the lettering shows up  - I also have a VERY small number of the two little etches shown in the bottom of that photo, the 'foot' x4 for 10t versions was a test etch on the edge of something else, and doesn't quite fold up right, and the hook is also on the edge of something else, so isn't available in great numbers, but if you want them £2 each plus post at cost.IMG_20230802_091449.jpg.aa892d333e051d86b2e99c3ff70cf091.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Now that my order from @jonhall has arrived (it was posted the day after my order but I have a feeling Roya Mail doesn't deliver to our address on a Saturday!) I need to set about this project learning from @BluenGreyAnorak 's posts from earler in this year in 

I think I know what is needed but if @BluenGreyAnorak picks up this thread - have you completed the rigging and what is required?

• RMweb Premium

Ok, so here are a few shots of my very much work in progress crane. At this stage, the rigging for the hook is mostly in place but that for raising the jib is only secured to its' drum. I've had a real problem with this as I've struggled to find a glue that will reliably secure the fishing line that I'm trying to use for the rigging. I'm not sure whether I'm using the wrong type of line or just haven't hit on the right glue yet.

Crane13.jpg.6311bcfc57d993dea8847a8ce218004d.jpg

Crane14.jpg.5afe878e47d79ad80288165218dade73.jpg

Crane15.jpg.5cffa5015c3efa7556b5f46ef2ae40b7.jpg

(Argh, just noticed the yellow showing through the paint at the bottom of the jib 🤬)

Crane16.jpg.0a73aaa16797eaf32eff8aa972225000.jpg

I've spent ages pouring over the photo's of the various cranes on Jon's website to try and work out the correct route for the rigging. However, the lack of contrast and the angles make it all but impossible to work out exactly what happens inside the crane body, so this rough schematic is my best guess:

Crane17.jpg.8220df3bdf5a3e88638461af9113bee7.jpg

It's worth noting that I have made the two drums for the rigging, along with several cross pieces between the two halves of the side frames. Originally I thought that this would be a quick conversion using Jon's parts but soon got carried away adding more detail!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 06/08/2023 at 22:40, Paleopotato09 said:

I've thought about just using the underframe of the crane as a maintenance wagon. Filling the well wagon like dip with sleepers

I did this a long, long time ago - I didn't demolish a crane to do it (they're just too good), I was given, or found, the underframe somewhere. Somehow I managed to remove the jib supports (maybe using the hand-cranked grinding wheel my grandfather had in his garage - that used to come in very handy at times!) and capped the ends with 20thou plasticard, then painted it black with hand-painted 'MACHINE' lettering centrally because I thought I'd seen something similar on the real railway. Now I come to think of it I may still have thing in the loft........

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd forgotten all about this thread. I did eventually get my crane rigged, which was an experience that I'm not keen to revisit! So the current state of play is almost, but not quite, finished. All that remains are transfers, the handwheels for the axle jacks (left 'till last as they're so delicate) and then a coat of matt varnish to protect it all:

20231111_154842.jpg.20c855ef994c7154551acdc55790868f.jpg

20231111_154850.jpg.7b392a47d842972e0cf36a86f0dfb1a6.jpg

20231111_154938.jpg.eed44bc18f1445efab461dfb6f7a0b74.jpg

I've never done anything like this before and so despite the trials of the rigging, I'm pretty pleased with the result so far.

Edited by BluenGreyAnorak
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1