Heljan O gauge class 153

• RMweb Premium

Just had email from Hattons with a photo of a EP sample. It’s looks pretty good. Illustrates in 4mm how the Hornby models roof profile is too flat. The gangway connector is also too short. Possible selective compression at work like what Lima use to do. 

The key dimensions to check are the gangway connector. These are standard size at the external ends of all the Sprinter 150x family. So you’d expect all models have the gangway to right dimensions. In 4mm its not been achieved!

But it is quite a game changer to see a 7mm RTR Sprinter. 

If EP is accurate, I hope we also see a 4mm version too. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 2

Well, having just moved into a new bungalow with a garden the size of Croydon Aerodrome this might be enough to tempt me into the senior scale, having long had a soft spot for these quirky units.  One of these wandering in and out of the rose bushes and flag irises in Reggie Rail colours would be nice, especially as pre-ERTMS they did used to run some services through the village between Mach and Pwllheli.  I've even seen a photo of one in New Street about to work the last service to Aberystwyth. 

I've also joined the list of those suggesting Heljan get the shrink ray onto it for OO scale.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder who will produce the Wessex Trains versions? 🤔

Brilliant news from Heljan and like others have mentioned, hopefully a 4mm scale version to follow.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What could possibly go wrong?

image.png.0f291361b562f3a72fdafcce6f0c5b4d.png

Courtesty of Wikimedia Commons

Edited by 46444

A solid choice I'd say. Good for the smaller/branch line/terminus layouts that a lot of O gauge modellers have, in the same way the Dapol Bubble Cars are.

I'll be watching this with interest.

I wonder if good sales could coax Heljan into doing the whole Sprinter and Super Sprinter family...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yeah I would suggest it's this, because as far as I'm aware Northerns' 153s never received their current white livery.

26707473697_b43f589913_o.jpg.3118375f5d448d2c95775a327e858f95.jpg

HOWEVER, from memory there have been at least two (possibly three) variations of bodyside branding and logos. It's well out of my 'era' but I seem to remember Northerns' website being on the side at one stage (although it might not have been on all of them). I'm pretty sure my Hornby model was like this.

Happy to be corrected naturally.

• Agree 1

I notice this is being offered with the option of factory fitted DCC sound, is this a first for Heljan as I don't recall it ever being available in the past, at least not in O gauge?

23 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Possibly this, but I don't really know https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/dmu/ed221fdcc

Paul

That is the one, the earlier pre-swoosh livery was more squared off, looked even worse than the swoosh one...

If they ever do one in the Devon & Cornwall livery I reckon I would have to get one of those just for old times sake, I already have them in 4mm and N scale so why not complete the set? ;)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

And further info from Guildex?

Brian Daniels had an unpainted one on his table. I assume it's the E.P. (edit:- presumably the one in the OP/Hattons advert.)

It's a long vehicle, for sure!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just pre-ordered the Gaugemaster GWR sound fitted version of the class 153. I am very much looking forward to this model being released. Please if you are reading this Heljan, in the next batch, a Wessex trains class 153 would be great!!😉

I was interested to see that this model will feature illuminated door open/close buttons. This must be a first for model railways? I have seen a few models with working door interlock lights but never one with working door open/close buttons. 

• RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2023 at 23:21, Great Waterton said:

Yeah I would suggest it's this, because as far as I'm aware Northerns' 153s never received their current white livery.

26707473697_b43f589913_o.jpg.3118375f5d448d2c95775a327e858f95.jpg

HOWEVER, from memory there have been at least two (possibly three) variations of bodyside branding and logos. It's well out of my 'era' but I seem to remember Northerns' website being on the side at one stage (although it might not have been on all of them). I'm pretty sure my Hornby model was like this.

Happy to be corrected naturally.

Hornby 153 has the Northern logo and doesn’t have the South Yorkshire PTA graphic. 

13 hours ago, TrainsRule88 said:

I was interested to see that this model will feature illuminated door open/close buttons. This must be a first for model railways? I have seen a few models with working door interlock lights but never one with working door open/close buttons. 

I'm pretty sure I have, in 4mm too. Along with the annoying alert sound for the doors closing.

Well it gets annoying when it's all day at an exhibition & you have a layout opposite... 🙄🤦‍♂️

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Heljan will have some samples of these new Class 153 units at Warley this weekend? I have the GWR one on pre order and would be amazing to see the samples in the flesh. I have seen photos of the samples but would like to see the true heft of these in person as these will be big models in O gauge!