Manning Wardle 'L' Class 0-6-0

rapidoandy

Just come across another trick Rapido have missed through choosing the 'L' over the 'I/K'     😁

In 1904 the SE&CR bought a Manning Wardle K class off the contractor doing works at Folkestone Harbour. It went off to Ashford for refurbishment and a paint job and then spent most of the next twenty years shunting at Folkestone Harbour. So If they'd chosen the K they could have done one in the full SE&CR Wainwright livery

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

I have to disagree - no tricks have been missed.

The smaller size of the I / K would have increased the design issues. The L is small enough but a few extra mm here and here are useful.

The I / K has already been done in kit form. Anyone who really wanted one will have built or had the kit built for them. The L has never been made in 00 in kit for RTR form and that will increase the sales potential.

Preserved locos - particularly operational ones help sales - the L wins in this regard.

The I / K had a huge amount of variations within it. The L also does but to a slightly lesser extent.

Maybe we should just do a SECR version for the hell of it…

2fa9b745-27fa-4bbe-9cfa-cfe521da8376.png

I'm sure the L will be popular!

It would be amazing if Rapido figured out a way of making the cab sheet from etched brass, rather than plastic, so it's nearer to scale. Of course, the problem would be glazing the spectacle plates.

But, as they are so small, would it matter if they were omitted? I wonder whether people would prefer an etched brass cab sheet with no glazing, or glazed thicker plastic. Or, maybe no-one cares...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

It would be amazing if Rapido figured out a way of making the cab sheet from etched brass, rather than plastic, so it's nearer to scale. Of course, the problem would be glazing the spectacle plates.

But, as they are so small, would it matter if they were omitted? I wonder whether people would prefer an etched brass cab sheet with no glazing, or glazed thicker plastic. Or, maybe no-one cares...

Or follow Oxford Diecast as they do with some of their models. Produce parts in clear plastic and print the unglazed parts on to it. It also gives flush glazing that would eliminate the problem of glazing the spectacle plates.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Like the transparent plastic idea as a compromise. It has to be a compromise because at scale thickness it would be too fragile in plastic, unless made from razor blade grade steel, which will bring problems of its own....

You only have to drop it once.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

The smaller size of the I / K would have increased the design issues. The L is small enough but a few extra mm here and here are useful.

The I / K has already been done in kit form. Anyone who really wanted one will have built or had the kit built for them. The L has never been made in 00 in kit for RTR form and that will increase the sales potential.

Preserved locos - particularly operational ones help sales - the L wins in this regard.

The I / K had a huge amount of variations within it. The L also does but to a slightly lesser extent.

I had hoped my smiley would have defused things. To tell the truth, I thought the SECR MW was a class L, it was only when I consulted Bradley before posting that I found out different. So you could get away with giving the Rapido loco an SECR paintjob and numbering it 752. The other interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to have suffered the slate grey  livery. A photo in Bradley from 1921 shows it still in the Wainwright livery. Presumably it wasn't thought worthwhile to get it back into the paintshop.

One point I don't think has been made is that locos like this were popular with contractors engaged on railway works. That means you can have them on what is otherwise a mainline layout, sitting in a siding with a couple of wagons until they were given temporary permission to go and do a bit of ballasting or shore up a cutting wall.

Despite my gripes, I want one though, so when I have figured out how to place a pre-order, I will. Now about that W&L Earl/Countess in On16.5 .......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Despite my gripes, I want one though, so when I have figured out how to place a pre-order, I will. 

😉 That’ll come once they announce the livery options. 

53 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Now about that W&L Earl/Countess in On16.5 .......

While you wait there’s always the Dorset Kits option

St Mary’s O16.5 Julian Evison

😇

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2023 at 12:02, rapidoandy said:

We are currently finalising the design and until then will keep the planned list of liveries, physical specification and prices close to our chest to provide a little more excitement later on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whart57 said:

I had hoped my smiley would have defused things. To tell the truth, I thought the SECR MW was a class L, it was only when I consulted Bradley before posting that I found out different. So you could get away with giving the Rapido loco an SECR paintjob and numbering it 752. The other interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to have suffered the slate grey  livery. A photo in Bradley from 1921 shows it still in the Wainwright livery. Presumably it wasn't thought worthwhile to get it back into the paintshop.

One point I don't think has been made is that locos like this were popular with contractors engaged on railway works. That means you can have them on what is otherwise a mainline layout, sitting in a siding with a couple of wagons until they were given temporary permission to go and do a bit of ballasting or shore up a cutting wall.

Despite my gripes, I want one though, so when I have figured out how to place a pre-order, I will. Now about that W&L Earl/Countess in On16.5 .......

A picture of 752 on page 152 of the Smithers book shows the loco in what I take to be the later grey SECR livery with large numbers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Andy and his team do with L class. There are so many possibilities and a number of attractive prototypes that could be portrayed. With regard to the Old Class I and K, I have the RT kits in the drawer waiting their turn so probably ought to make a start on one of them soon, just as soon I finish the ex Lambourn Valley four- wheel coach that I currently have on the go. 

Well done Rapido for taking the plunge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Hi Andy 

I agree with your choice, also because choosing an I or K would impact on a small kit manufacturer.

perhaps a four coupled type would be a reasonable follow on, none of which are available in kit form 

Or something from one of the other builders such as Black Hawthorn or Hudswell Clarke

Neilson standard 0-4-0ST is another one that was widespread, adopted by both the North British and Caledonian railways 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PatC said:

A picture of 752 on page 152 of the Smithers book shows the loco in what I take to be the later grey SECR livery with large numbers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Andy and his team do with L class. There are so many possibilities and a number of attractive prototypes that could be portrayed. With regard to the Old Class I and K, I have the RT kits in the drawer waiting their turn so probably ought to make a start on one of them soon, just as soon I finish the ex Lambourn Valley four- wheel coach that I currently have on the go. 

Well done Rapido for taking the plunge.

It also lost its chimney cap.

• Like 3

I am overjoyed that 00 is finally getting not one, but two Manning Wardles.

I will confess that while the K and old I are in my mind the “classic” examples of the type, the L is still unmistakably an MW and it will tick all the right boxes for the type. And fair play to Rapido for choosing a type that’s close to their heart.

having given it some thought over the last few days, I’ve decided that my Light railway can have two Manning Wardles, an early one from when the line was built and another acquired later on!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

You mentioned open and closed cab variants, will these be strictly the two styles seen here in the renders? If not then maybe a version of either of them with the older style of closed cab would satisfy the old I and K gang.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mel_H said:

There would also be the question of whether Rapido could model a driver whose eyes are far enough apart to look through the spectacle plate!

• Funny 3

For those who like the wrap over cab Sir B had one when it worked in industry, there are photos in one of the books I have on the shelf.

The VCT at Ingrow (on the KWVR) have a book about Sir B which is available

• Like 2

Ah, MW cabs. The Selsey Tramway had three Manning Wardles, Is and Ks admittedly, and the cabs were all different. They weren't even all MW designs. If Rapido were committing to provide every cab variant then that really would be a rod for their own backs

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/08/2023 at 12:42, whart57 said:

So you could get away with giving the Rapido loco an SECR paintjob and numbering it 752. The other interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to have suffered the slate grey  livery. A photo in Bradley from 1921 shows it still in the Wainwright livery. Presumably it wasn't thought worthwhile to get it back into the paintshop.

Unfortunately (as an ex-Folkestonian myself) 752 had a number of unique bits following the SECR rebuild, including the cab - and most K Classes could tell a similar story. The Old I/K actually differ in wheelbase as well as being more difficult to fit all the motor gubbins in. The Ls were more of a souped-up K Class and were "modern"* enough that there was some degree of standardisation which means we can model it more practically.

Hope that helps!

Edited by rapidoTom
*by modern, I mean pre-1900 ;)
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1