Buying servo point control

Hi all, I have asked a question before , ref changing E M gauge turnouts, and the majority  of answers were servo control. So my next question please, Where is the best place to buy all the components that i need for servo point operation, As i have no idea what i am doing in this , so it would be better to get all the parts from one suppler. Any help on this most welcome.

Thanks

Garry

• RMweb Gold

Several choices, personally I only have experience of Megapoints which I use to control around 75 servos on my West Highland layout. There is a thread, the best thing that I like about them is the Youtube videos which have proven to be a really powerful aid to my understanding of how to use the kit. The Vendor has a good reputation for being helpful and I have first hand experience of this.

Good luck with your research

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I use the system (Megapoints controller) on 2 layouts. But if you run your layout on DCC I would rather go direct with DCC. Depends on the controller you are using. If it is a pure numeric one like nce or lenz then the Megapoints controller is better than using DCC direct for point control. If you have a newer one with graphic surface like z21 or you think of computer control like itrain or similar then control from DCC is the way to go.

• Informative/Useful 1

My 0 gauge layout uses Tortoise and Wabbit for DCC turnout control.  Actuation is via momentary push buttons on the fascia so no control panel.  Tortoise (and Cobalt) are basically servos I think.  My layout turnouts operate brilliantly (OK my opinion) and it just finished it's 4th show with high marks.

What is the advantage to using servos?

John

• Thanks 1

If you want to use only one supplier than Megapoints is probably the answer. They are however expensive compared to some other suppliers. 

MERG kits are very good although you have to be a member to buy. If you need a lot of gear, then the membership fee would soon be amortised. I have built a number of MERG Servo 4 and 77R kits (a single servo controller with built in relay) without any issues, as has a friend. The instructions are excellent. You do need to be able to solder, have a 12v supply and good multi meter to test the kit when building it. The MERG Servo4 setting box is also excellent as you just plug it in and can look at the point or signal servo you are setting to set position/ throw and speed.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 27/08/2023 at 20:51, brossard said:

...What is the advantage to using servos?

Price, servos are very cheap. Especially when you want DCC control the servo control can be built in to the DCC decoder combining two functions (such as when you use the ESU Switchpilot servo decoder or the Signalist SC2).

Tortoise and Cobalt are not servos and cost a lot more - not specifically worse or better than servos, just different.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 18:05, mswjr said:

...Where is the best place to buy all the components that i need for servo point operation...

I would recommend CoastalDCC. You might not want to get all the parts from one manufacturer, but Coastal do stock a few different makes of equipment.

You will need:-

• Servo
  • Servo mount
  • Servo controller/(decoder)/(frog switch)
  • Extension cables

There are two types of servo - digital (eg SG92R) and analogue (eg SG90) and some controllers work better with one type rather than the other.

Servo mounts come in a variety of styles from a simple bracket to bolt the servo to all the way to a complete servo motor that is a drop in replacement for a Peco Solenoid.

Servo controllers can be just the simple Megapoints that just operates the servo right up to the Signalist SC2 with integrated frog switching and DCC decoder. There are others in between like the Peco which has a basic controller with a range of add-ons to perform the other functions.

You should mount the servo controller near the servos, you don't want long runs of servo wire, but sometimes you will need a short extension cable.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

This is the screen I get when I click on that link.

image.png.be49c20db6a919b100ffce9e583368e2.png

I got the same and discovered that you have to scroll down. Unfortunately their web site has a number of glitches which certainly show up on a Android tablet

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Suzie said:

Price, servos are very cheap. Especially when you want DCC control the servo control can be built in to the DCC decoder combining two functions (such as when you use the ESU Switchpilot servo decoder or the Signalist SC2).

Tortoise and Cobalt are not servos and cost a lot more - not specifically worse or better than servos, just different.

Thanks Suzie, that was my suspicion.  My Tortoises and Wabbits were holdovers from previous layouts so cost me nothing extra.

John

13 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

I got the same and discovered that you have to scroll down. Unfortunately their web site has a number of glitches which certainly show up on a Android tablet

Hey,

Thanks for highlighting this.

I'll look into compatibility issues.

In the meantime, any questions feel free to ask here.

• Like 1