BR 16t Minerals, By Accurascale

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

.... So I built the kurwa colliery; this one's a keeper!

Now Johnster, you do know you must rename your colliery as Corfa  Colliery (yes, I have fully checked both pronunciation AND translation as you can see!). The backstory is exquisite and a really black humoured tribute. And what with coal being black.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cwrfa sounds a bit more Welsh, but it is established as 'Dimbath no.1 Pit' (see what I did there, called into imaginary but necessary existence a 'Dimbath no.2 Pit) and nameboards have been printed.  Note the pit manager's name and phone number.  Kurwa!!!

IMG_2250.jpg.dbb710b189a5100807406c9d407a4a4d.jpg

It is a superbly explosive and expressive expletive, and I have come to use it a lot.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Cwrfa sounds a bit more Welsh, but it is established as 'Dimbath no.1 Pit' (see what I did there, called into imaginary but necessary existence a 'Dimbath no.2 Pit) and nameboards have been printed.  Note the pit manager's name and phone number.  Kurwa!!!

IMG_2250.jpg.dbb710b189a5100807406c9d407a4a4d.jpg

It is a superbly explosive and expressive expletive, and I have come to use it a lot.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

The Polish crews on the Wolsztyn Experience used to use it a lot......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As I said at the top of the page, ‘Cwrfa’, approximately translating to ‘skirt place’.   A single Welsh ‘f’ is pronounced like the English ‘v’, as is the Polish ‘w’. One of the best things about RMweb is the rabbit holes you get to go down.  Why would a place (‘fa’) in a remote Glamorgan Valley be associated in such a way with ladies’ garments (‘cwr’ = ‘skirt’)?  Perhaps in the days before the pit was sunk there was a woollen mill there where skirts were made, the pure, clear water of the Lechyd stream washing the raw wool off the sheeps’ backs and powering the looms, but, hang on, no, because there was a real, actual, forge a couple hundred yards upstream of this spot, the ruins of which are yet extant according to the current OS.  It is commemorated on the layout by the name of the pub, ‘The Forge’, which is within a literal stone’s throw of the site. 

Even water powered this forge would have caused enough pollution to render the Lechyd useless for wool washing (could this be why the valley is called Dimbath, because you couldn’t bathe in the stream?), though of course dirty water can still power machinery!  But it was served by a tramroad from Glynogwr and this suggests that it used coke for heating the iron, transported up from Tondu where there were ovens supplying the local ironworks before the turn of the 19th century.  My model is semi imaginary; the place exists and the branch runs up the tramroad trackbed, not an unusual situation in the Valleys (there are still some stone sleepers up there), but it is a remote and forgotten corner that never had a mining village or a branch line in the real world.  There was plenty of coal under it, good steam and coking stuff at that, but it was mined from pits in Gilfach Goch, Clydach Vale, and Ogmore Vale, which were connected underground, which brings us nicely back to… 

…Rabbit holes.  Luvs ‘em, I duz. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

As I said at the top of the page, ‘Cwrfa’, approximately translating to ‘skirt place’.   A single Welsh ‘f’ is pronounced like the English ‘v’, as is the Polish ‘w’. One of the best things about RMweb is the rabbit holes you get to go down.  Why would a place (‘fa’) in a remote Glamorgan Valley be associated in such a way with ladies’ garments (‘cwr’ = ‘skirt’)?  Perhaps in the days before the pit was sunk there was a woollen mill there where skirts were made, the pure, clear water of the Lechyd stream washing the raw wool off the sheeps’ backs and powering the looms, but, hang on, no, because there was a real, actual, forge a couple hundred yards upstream of this spot, the ruins of which are yet extant according to the current OS.  It is commemorated on the layout by the name of the pub, ‘The Forge’, which is within a literal stone’s throw of the site. 

Even water powered this forge would have caused enough pollution to render the Lechyd useless for wool washing (could this be why the valley is called Dimbath, because you couldn’t bathe in the stream?), though of course dirty water can still power machinery!  But it was served by a tramroad from Glynogwr and this suggests that it used coke for heating the iron, transported up from Tondu where there were ovens supplying the local ironworks before the turn of the 19th century.  My model is semi imaginary; the place exists and the branch runs up the tramroad trackbed, not an unusual situation in the Valleys (there are still some stone sleepers up there), but it is a remote and forgotten corner that never had a mining village or a branch line in the real world.  There was plenty of coal under it, good steam and coking stuff at that, but it was mined from pits in Gilfach Goch, Clydach Vale, and Ogmore Vale, which were connected underground, which brings us nicely back to… 

…Rabbit holes.  Luvs ‘em, I duz. 

I think you've missed a trick, Facwr would be a more interesting derivation!

Mike.

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Perhaps in the days before the pit was sunk there was a woollen mill there where skirts were made, the pure, clear water of the Lechyd stream washing the raw wool off the sheeps’ backs and powering the looms, but, hang on, no, because there was a real, actual, forge a couple hundred yards upstream of this spot, the ruins of which are yet extant according to the current OS.

Let's not get into what the Welsh get up to with sheep!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Good name for a pit. 

You'll have to lose the K if it's supposed to be in Wales though!

You appear not to have heard of Penrikyber Navigation Colliery, sunk in 1872 by a Mr Thomas of Cwmbach and a group of associates.  Later owned by Cory brothers and then Powell Duffruyn before passing into state ownership; finally closed in 1985.

The pit was at Penrhiwceiber  but presumably he original owners hose the strange anglicisation of the name for commercial reasons (and maybe concerned that potential English customers probably wouldn't be able to pronounce the place name?)

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You appear not to have heard of Penrikyber Navigation Colliery, sunk in 1872 by a Mr Thomas of Cwmbach and a group of associates.  Later owned by Cory brothers and then Powell Duffruyn before passing into state ownership; finally closed in 1985.

The pit was at Penrhiwceiber  but presumably he original owners hose the strange anglicisation of the name for commercial reasons (and maybe concerned that potential English customers probably wouldn't be able to pronounce the place name?)

Of course the English could pronounce it.  They even made a film there

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Of course the English could pronounce it.  They even made a film there

Must be tiffin time! Well it is SWAG on Sunday… 

• Like 1