TPEX Class 68 & Mk5 Nova 3 fleet to be withdrawnDec 2023

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, simon b said:

Apparently Chiltern have now put a bid in for the the MK5 fleet with locos. More 68's is just fine with me.

Good, I'll be glad to see them reused. Such a crying shame to see new stock sitting in sidings not being used. I hope they get a nice livery, I don't really like the Chiltern grey. And it's all done swiftly enough for Accurascale to include in their next production run of Mk5s. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Good, I'll be glad to see them reused. Such a crying shame to see new stock sitting in sidings not being used. I hope they get a nice livery, I don't really like the Chiltern grey. And it's all done swiftly enough for Accurascale to include in their next production run of Mk5s. 

I assume the mk5's are painted silver with vinal over the top, in which case they are half way there already. I like the silver and grey, but the blue livery on the 165's is good looking too. Silver with a blue window band?

20 minutes ago, simon b said:

I assume the mk5's are painted silver with vinal over the top, in which case they are half way there already. I like the silver and grey, but the blue livery on the 165's is good looking too. Silver with a blue window band?

Full retro NSE for me!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I will be quite interested to see if this operator will be able to make these sets "perform".

The abysmal availability, with TPE, was below a level not seen since "Claytons" and "Co-Bos" - IMO.

...but was it Dft, TPE management, or the the sets themselves?

I suspect a combination of all three!

Kev.

Edited by SHMD
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I will be quite interested to see if this operator will be able to make these sets "perform".

The abysmal availability, with TPE, was below a level not seen since "Claytons" and "Co-Bos" - IMO.

...but was it Dft, TPE management, or the the sets themselves?

I suspect a combination of all three!

Kev.

I'm not sure about the technical availability of the sets, but I do know that TPE were having terrible driver problems. Covid threw a massive spanner in driver training, and they were trying to introduce 3 new fleets all at the same time*. Coupled with their rejigging of driver roles so one route might have 4 or 5 drivers covering it, rather than one all the way through, meant they often didn't have drivers for them. Plus union disputes.

* A completely stupid idea, and that was down to the DfT. They desperately wanted the 442s to be used as hauled stock so wrote the tender specification to basically force companies to use them. But TPE stuck two fingers up to that and ordered the Mk5s from CAF, which technically filled the brief. TPE would've done far better with a single fleet of 802s, instead of the 3 fleets. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AMJ said:

Presumably if Chiltern were to take on the Mk5s they would want to include the buffet in one unless they feel that a trolley is a better option.

AKAIK Chiltern do not have any onboard catering.  So the MkVs will serve them as they are.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, simon b said:

Apparently Chiltern have now put a bid in for the the MK5 fleet with locos. More 68's is just fine with me.

Is this to supplement their existing loco hauled stock or to replace it ?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Is this to supplement their existing loco hauled stock or to replace it ?

This will replace the mk3 sets entirely, it will also free up some of their dmu fleet so hopefully they can get on top of the maintenance issues. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

AKAIK Chiltern do not have any onboard catering.  So the MkVs will serve them as they are.

The business / cafe coach is still in the train formation but the cafe hasn't been used for quite a few years and the Business seating can be used by standard class ticket holders for no supplement these days.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, simon b said:

This will replace the mk3 sets entirely, it will also free up some of their dmu fleet so hopefully they can get on top of the maintenance issues. 

Bit of a shame the mk3s are going,  but good news that 68s will still be working.  The Chiltern ones are quite different to TPE ones so they will probably come back to DRS

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Bit of a shame the mk3s are going,  but good news that 68s will still be working.  The Chiltern ones are quite different to TPE ones so they will probably come back to DRS

As I understand it the TPE locos will move down with the mk5 sets, Chiltern's 68's go back to DRS.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Last I heard on the grapevine was there were thoughts of reformation of sets which would make sense for longer sets but would leave the some driving cars as dead money. And would they need any more 68s with what they have.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, admiles said:

Has it actually been announced that the Mk5s are going to Chiltern yet or are people getting a wee bit ahead of themselves?

On 15/02/2024 at 10:41, simon b said:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 25901 said:

Last I heard on the grapevine was there were thoughts of reformation of sets which would make sense for longer sets but would leave the some driving cars as dead money. And would they need any more 68s with what they have.

Chilterns 68's are not compatible with mk5's, so they would need the TPE locos.  How involved it would be to convert the existing end coach to an intermediate I'm not sure, but in theory you could run a driving trailer at both ends of a set.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Chilterns 68's are fiited with AAR and DRS ones aren't and as the mk3 look like their going to be kept for at least 18 months and DRS are short of locos now (ar@e kicking given on the use of zero houred 37 the other day) there is some fighting over locos due, but at the end of the day they are DRSs

Why don't Chiltern just buy their own new stock and stop going round with cap in hand.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 25901 said:

Chilterns 68's are fiited with AAR and DRS ones aren't and as the mk3 look like their going to be kept for at least 18 months and DRS are short of locos now (ar@e kicking given on the use of zero houred 37 the other day) there is some fighting over locos due, but at the end of the day they are DRSs

Why don't Chiltern just buy their own new stock and stop going round with cap in hand.

I'm still not convinced this is more than enthusiast wibble.  If you read Chiltern's ITT for replacement stock you will find it expressly requires any winning bid to provide an otion that is quieter than a Class 68 which appears to rule those out with either Mk3 or Mk5 stock.

Chiltern cannot "just buy their own new stock".  Like all the former franchised TOCs they are now under management contracts from the DfT where everything is tightly controlled - you even have to get approval to order a consignment of bog rolls!  So any chance of any operator (apart from the OA companies) doing their own thing is for the fairies.  

I'm hearing that Mr Hunt is planning to cut a further £1 BILLION a year from the rail budget next year to fund tax cuts.  This will mean more trains going into store, service cuts and shorter formations of those that still run.  The blunt truth is: this government aided by the civil service is basically anti-railway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/12/2023 at 01:30, phil-b259 said:

As for Norwich to Liverpool - to my mind it all hinges on how much OLE is provided. 25KV should be perfectly capable of rapidly charging the batteries and providing full traction power simultaneously. Norwich and Liverpool are wired so charging can be done during the turnover, Peterborough - Grantham is wired, Nottingham - Sheffield is supposed to be wired as part of the MML electrification, Manchester - Liverpool via Warrington is supposed to be getting electrified at some point in the future….

Fine until an incoming train has been delayed until departure time. "This is a customer announcement. The train to Liverpool will be delayed for 30 minutes whilst its batteries are charged." The term laughing stock comes to mind.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

If you read Chiltern's ITT for replacement stock you will find it expressly requires any winning bid to provide an otion that is quieter than a Class 68 which appears to rule those out with either Mk3 or Mk5 stock.

There is a an available exhaust modification which will quieten down a 68, easy to fit that to the TPE ones before they enter service.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Forward! said:

Perhaps they could run them like a GWR auto train- put the loco inbetween two sets!

If it fools the residents of N London into thinking its just another DMU, then why not...

• Like 1

It's shameful.

Millions of pounds of rolling stock investment, specifically for the North,  has been withdrawn. It's an affront to northerners and a kick in the teeth. 

34 five car trains are reduced to just 19 in order to save money. They will not return  and nor will replacement stock arrive before 2028. 

The entire TPE franchise has been so badly run that the brand's hard won reputation is now in the dirt.

Passenger numbers are way down and inter-city style rolling stock for journeys up to three hours long has been dispensed with. 

I know all the ins and outs of the past few years, and the coming together of so many poor decisions, on top of huge technical challenges, has created chaos.

One day the papers and TV will have a field day, as new northern rolling stock eventually begins to benefit people in the South. 

Edited by Railpassion
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3