Out now: October 2023 BRM with WoR TV*

Howard Smith

• Moderators

*Digitally, with print copies available in stores from October 7.

There's something to smile about this weekend – an enjoyable issue of BRM has just come out for World of Railways Plus members, and is also available to download as a single issue. Print copies are available in stores from September 7. Struggling to get your copy? Order here or subscribe here.

October for upload.jpg

World of Railways and BRM subscribers get access to the latest episode of World of Railways TV, too. This time, Phil Parker constructs a diorama for his grounded van body kit, Howard Smith tours a long-forgotten real grounded van body for modelling inspiration, and we explore David Wright's layout 'Raven's Ravine' from this issue...

We've selected four great layouts, each with an interesting story to tell, and all different in their subject matter:

Alston 11.jpg

Great architecture on this 2mm:1ft scale (N gauge) layout, 'Alston' set in the 1950s/1960s, depicting the North East of England. Learn how it was built, inside the October issue.

Wheal Elizabeth 5.jpg

'Wheal Elizabeth' – a classic Cornish clay scene in 4mm:1ft scale, but this one can change era in minutes, from the 1950s through to the 1990s. Read how it is operated, and see some of the great scenes captured in this issue.

Whiteacres 10.jpg

'Whiteacres' – an expansive urban scene, typical of Staffordshire in the 2000s with a great variety of motive power and rolling stock to spot. Read how this layout has been prepared for its return to the exhibition circuit.

Ravens Ravine.jpg

Raven's Ravine (OO9) – step into the magical fantasy world of this small model, where towers are guarded by dragons. Great animations to read about, too!

Practical BRM this issue shares ideas for... 

00-1 Finished Scene.jpg

How to model a car park. Parking perfection explained, with added scenes for interest in a simple step-by-step tutorial. Read how in the October 2023 issue of BRM.

Back gardens.jpg

Cameo creations! Make the back yards of your miniature properties more interesting with our varied ideas...

Baseboard image 3.jpg

PIR perfection? We explore the use of polyisocyanurate in baseboard construction for our new TT:120 layout project. Read what we discovered in this issue.

Van2.jpg

Make a grounded van body. Phil Parker shows how inside this issue...

In this episode of World of Railways TV, Phil Parker constructs a diorama for his grounded van body kit, Howard Smith tours a long-forgotten real grounded van body for modelling inspiration, and we explore David Wright's layout 'Raven's Ravine' from this issue...

All this and much more with the latest model and supplier news, an exclusive interview with Rapido Trains UK, plus model reviews in the October 2023 issue of BRM*, available with a World of Railways Plus subscription, or download or order your single issue here, today.

*Print copies available in stores from September 7.

We hope you enjoy the read, and watch,

H

Navigation Road 20.jpg

I went to my local supermarket, today, and was going to buy this issue but it's sealed in a bag along with two other magazines and all with a cover price of £9.99. That may be a good price for anyone that actually wants all three magazines, but I don't. I only wanted BRM and with it being sealed, I couldn't even flick through to look at what was inside as although I buy it reasonably regularly, I don't buy every issue. I look to see what's inside and if there's something of interest I'll buy it.

There's no way that I'm paying out £9.99 of which two thirds are something that I don't want and can't even take a look at before purchase on the off chance that the other magazines are of interest, so I didn't buy. This is the second month in a row where BRM has been sealed and sold with another magazine that I don't want and at a vastly increased price.

Please return to selling BRM on its own and not sealed in a plastic bag!

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

• Moderators
On 07/09/2023 at 12:34, Ruston said:

I went to my local supermarket, today, and was going to buy this issue but it's sealed in a bag along with two other magazines and all with a cover price of £9.99.

I wanted to check if this was just selected shops before responding Dave but it's the same in all shops (data shows increased sales when we have such an offer).

It's possible to purchase single issues online with us https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/Back-Issues/british-railway-modelling/british-railway-modelling-october-2023-issue-234 and it is free postage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The previous issue in my local newsagents was also bagged with another mag, the garden railway one, at an enhanced price. Not a waste as I passed on the garden rail bit to my mate who's into such stuff but it would be nice just to buy BRM on its own. I only buy occasional issues of magazines when something in them is properly of interest, less of a financial thing more of not wanting to drown in a sea of magazines.

• Agree 1

I am sorry but I am with Dave on this one. I want to look in the magazine before I buy it. I don't want to order individual issues on line. I used to have a subscription but gave it up when the magazine got rather basic although thats only my opinion. If you go back to the original issues of the Magazine you will see what I mean! I don't think it's a patch on what it was but I guess thats progress and appreciate not everyone will agree with me. However I respect their views.

By all means if you want to bag it up with other magazines and a video please do so but keep the cover price the same. £9.99 for a magazine which in my humble opinion is more geared to the starter/intermediate modellers is ridiculous. 

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I just picked up this month’s BRM magazine* from my local ASDA, and was surprised when my shopping bill came to more than expected. Then again, I had picked up some steak for use in a stir fry and as that is not a regular purchase I just thought “Ah, cost of living increase! Steak’s gone up in price…”

Just got home and checked the receipt… When I’ve purchased a sealed magazine bundle in the past, the “extra value” is in the additional magazines (or whatever) being included free, with the obvious hope on the part of the publisher that you like the contents and start purchasing those as well as your regular magazine in future. 

However, the price is up from the usual £6/£7 so I feel that the publisher has used me to rid themselves of unsold copies of their previous “Traction” (July/Aug ‘23) and “NGW” (Sept ‘23) magazines - neither of which I really want - and which otherwise they would have had to pay to dispose of… and which I will recycle and have also paid them for the privilege of doing so!! 

Of course, I have no proof that the above is what has happened but it is how I feel - in other words, like a fool (who was soon parted with his money).**

I agree with @Ruston - sell BRM magazine on its own and don’t justify a 25%-30% price hike by including stuff I didn’t want.

What I’ve learnt today from @AY Mod is that single issues can be purchased online - useful to know. 👍

Steve S

* Purchased because I liked the listed contents for the issue

** Fortunately, I won’t so easily be duped on eBay, so the likes of Gostude will be disappointed!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Autocorrect misbehaving
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Reading @AY Mod’s review of the OO Accurascale Anthony Manor (page 112) set me wondering where Anthony Manor is / was? (The review asks the same question).  

I couldn’t find an answer searching for key words in the Accurascale Manor thread (I didn’t want to read through 138 pages, sorry), so please forgive me if it’s covered there.  

Just in case, all I could find indicates the name actually comes from St. Anthony Manor in Falmouth (at the entrance to the harbour).

Happy to be corrected of course, but hope this helps.  Another fantastic issue of the magazine - having seen Ravine’s Ravine and had a good chat with David Wright at the 009 Society 50th Anniversary Exhibition at Statfold Barn (for example), it’s definitely a layout and an author well worth a multi-page spread.  Thanks for all the hard work, Keith.

(PS: also nice to finally meet @Phil Parker at the 009 show too.  No spoilers, but I saw him photographing another great layout while he was there - one I’ll look out for).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Just in case, all I could find indicates the name actually comes from St. Anthony Manor in Falmouth (at the entrance to the harbour).

I've got an ongoing email exchange with a reader which concludes pretty much the same Keith. There's a Place Manor in St. Anthony (in Roseland) so it looks like Anthony Manor is 'manor' as in a portion of .and or similar rather than a specific structure as you would instinctively think with Halls and Granges etc.. Tucked away as it is I must have driven past it exploring back roads and dead ends around there 30+ years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 25/09/2023 at 20:12, GWR57xx said:

There is an Antony Manor (no H) in Cornwall. Could the GWR have made a transcription error?

There was a few spelling mistakes in the names. One that I know off hand is 4969 Shrugburgh Hall.

But don't forget that many of the big houses don't exist anymore and many others have changed names over the years. 

However notice the name of the owner of Antony House is/was Pole. Could he be a relative of Felix Pole?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_House

Jason

• Like 1

A moan for the designers:

I've noticed a gradual design change over the last few months to have more articles where the text goes all the way across the page, rather than use narrower columns. I don't like this and find it quite difficult to read. I'm sure someone somewhere told me that good, readable design should only have 7-9 words per line. 

I

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Blackeunos said:

I would just like to ask if there is some delay to subscribing readers as I thought subscriber’s received their copy before it went on sale. As today is the 7/10 and I have not received my copy. Have other readers got theirs yet?

regards

stewart

I'm not aware of any delays Stewart, in fact the subs copy for November landed here yesterday so yours is nearly 4 weeks overdue. I would presume it missing in transit so please give the subs department a call in the morning to get a replacement copy sent.

Our apologies!

Thanks for the rapid reply, it is the November issue which went on sale from the 5/10 that I am awaiting so it’s not as bad as you thought. I will leave it a day or so before contacting. Still not very good as we are supposed to receive prior to it going on sale.

thanks

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Blackeunos said:

Thanks for the rapid reply, it is the November issue which went on sale from the 5/10 that I am awaiting so it’s not as bad as you thought. I will leave it a day or so before contacting. Still not very good as we are supposed to receive prior to it going on sale.

thanks

Aah, I thought it was the October issue. The November issue has just gone into shops so you're correct about it being a little late. Hopefully it'll arrive shortly.