Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

This day in 2014……

• RMweb Gold

It was a wonderful event on so very many levels, quite possibly my most enjoyed ever model railway show, and I have been to a lot of them!

Ravensclyffe is/was bloody brilliant, and the whole show had a wonderful mix of exhibits and a great cast of characters(!)

I went up there and back in the highly convivial company of John Farmer. to help run CK's Bleakhouse Road for the weekend, and shared a room with my friend Steve Cook (who makes a rare appearance to Andy's right in the first photograph).

Steve was also helping on Bleakhouse Road (talk about over-staffing) and we had a truly, truly wonderful weekend. And, of course, gwwrob was there as well, it was just the best time.

Apart from the excellent company, the show had so much going for it, a great range of exhibits, the raised demonstrators tables, the "lecture" aspect of things, featuring several notable characters, even hosted by Steve Lamacq, and good trade too. I'd call it genius, and all driven by and arising from the interactions and associations forged through the phenomenon known as RMweb.

I know there were date clashes, which didn't help, and then there was the Coventry match worry schtick, (the details of which I forget), but I was surprised nonetheless at how few RMweb members bothered to turn up, there were some complaints about ticket price at the time, as I vaguely recall.

Truth is, I was kind of "returning to the fold" after a fairly cataclysmic bust up with Andy and the forum, a good many years previously, and was made to feel extraordinarily welcome. I dread to think what the whole thing cost Warners, and it would be rude to ask, but for myself if no-one else I will forever be grateful for being involved in such an utterly brilliant show.

And then there was the post show meal and social - as good as it gets.

And the peripatetic "Timmy two trousers" from naughty Steve Cook and oh how we enjoyed running that Regional Railways 153 on Bleakhouse Road, CK was most "impressed"(!)

I was mighty glad not have got involved in the dreaded "ice bucket challenge" - respect to those that did.

Thank you for such a good reminder of such a good show.

"Simply the best", to paraphrase Tina Turner and Gerry Beale...

Simon

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Ravensclyffe is/was bloody brilliant

Thank you :) 

The good news is that it is still here and will surface in due course, along with Ipswich (and eventually a revamped Dagworth!)

The better news is that the scruffy oik in the black T-shirt in that top photo found a razor!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
profanity filter got me
  • Like 2