The Great British Model Railway Show. Gaydon.

dasatcopthorne

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I came last year for the first time and was impressed by the variety & quality of the layouts.Good selection of trade etc.& the venue itself has of course the rather good motor museum included with your entry ticket Add to this a good catering facility & you have a great day out.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This show hasn’t been very well advertised, I’ve just stumbled upon it here for the first time tonight!

I went to the first show there many years back but I seem to remember that was the original ‘great electric train show’ that has moved to MK now, am I right or did I dream it? 

im working at princes risborough on Saturday night into Sunday morning and gaydon is on my way home so i may well call in if i don’t finish too early

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2023 at 20:23, big jim said:

I went to the first show there many years back but I seem to remember that was the original ‘great electric train show’ that has moved to MK now, am I right or did I dream it? 

Correct. I went on the Saturday and it was heaving! Good show but not a great venue. I have a feeling I did it after a night shift too! Couple of hours at the show, an hour looking round the cars downstairs, then another hour at Wellesbourne looking round Vulcan XM655.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I went along today and very much enjoyed the 3 hours I had there. I caught up with a few acquaintances, relieved Mr Parker of a very nice shortbread biscuit, had a long chat to David Wright about Das modelling and enjoyed a large number of the layouts. The day was enhanced by easy free parking, some very helpful Museum staff and vounteers, and short waits for catering.

I suspect there were a few too many "box shifters" but the numbers seemed good and there were busy trade stands.

Some of my. photos will follow on...

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

A great day out, seemless bus transfer - some beans in the bus so pass on thanks to driver - pure classic thrash!  I did wonder to a friend as we arrived into the carpark if were in the only British owned builder vehicle in sight.

Welcoming staff and stewards which was good and money taken promptly. Needless to say Phil Parker at first access point complete with biscuits, good cheer and selection of work, very impressive.

Plenty of traders, bargains and folk selling all the bits required for modelling.   Layouts showed great range and given the multiroom nature of the venue lots of fun exploring - the You are here posters very useful!   Biased  but have to say a 3mm TT featuring emus was always going  to win and better in the flesh, Stedman Hill.  Nine Mills as it names suggests a great view of N at its best and with Meacham, Sandy bay and Stamford East flying the flag well.  Chippenham - a former home town  also a good bit  of personal history so gets a vote as well. 

Great O and 00 layouts of all sizes Tetbury as a GWR BLT made large was a joy to watch. 

Exeter St George seemed to have more working class 50s than BR ever managed all weathered and looking the part - the spare stock table was like OOC on a strike day! 

Journey back on last bus and bus still had the beans and another quick changeover back to Moor st ended a great day - just watching and enjoying a show with any show duties was a pleasure.

Thanks to all involved and looking at footfall a good day for the bean counters.

Robert          

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I was there helping run the LWMRS club's 30 year old layout, Meacham. Despite a few incidents in the fiddle yard(*) it went well and seemed to be popular with the visitors. I had a wander round the show and saw several other great layouts. Unlike a lot of shows it never felt crowded but there were plenty of people there. You also get access to the motor museum so that's another reason to go. Tomorrow is the last day folks!

(*)Tail chasing is all great fun until it goes wrong :)

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

May I add my thanks to you all for the show.  Despite being my third visit, the programme, and the new 'You are here' maps, I still got hopelessly lost and disorientated, missing Lecture Rooms 1 & 2 until an hour before departure.  Bought my Xmas present - Mr Larkin's v. 1 of Speedlink wagons - and a few other bits, and was delighted by what a broad church the hobby is.  I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves as much.  Thanks again.  Roll on Warley.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Paul put on another very nice exhibition. What made me chuckle was the people on the Hornby stand knowing nothing about the Capprotti 5F version due next summer. 

Or the people on the Hornby stand running the TT layout with trains going in the wrong direction for UK tracks. Looks like they have sales people who know nothing about trains again.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, C126 said:

May I add my thanks to you all for the show.  Despite being my third visit, the programme, and the new 'You are here' maps, I still got hopelessly lost and disorientated, missing Lecture Rooms 1 & 2 until an hour before departure.  Bought my Xmas present - Mr Larkin's v. 1 of Speedlink wagons - and a few other bits, and was delighted by what a broad church the hobby is.  I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves as much.  Thanks again.  Roll on Warley.

You are not alone. Whilst I didn’t get there this year I regularly get lost at this show and marvel at how much I see after the event on YouTube showing what I missed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Chris M said:

Or the people on the Hornby stand running the TT layout with trains going in the wrong direction for UK tracks. Looks like they have sales people who know nothing about trains again.

And I'd wager that:

a) It didn't affect their sales in the slightest.

b) 95% of people who looked at the stand had no idea and/or wouldn't have cared 😉

Edited by AndrueC
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Chris M said:

Or maybe they did it on purpose so people talk about it?

It doesn't really matter that much does it?  I believe they've designed this scale for play value over absolute complete authenticity.

I'll admit, if I wasn't invested so heavily I might take a punt at a Western Region layout with an 08, class 50s and HSTs - bang on for a BR Blue holiday terminus in the South West.

• Agree 2