Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gresley D167 Buffet Cars 1950s conversions

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I am doing the conversion on the Hornby D167 buffet car to fill in the windows as per the 1950s conversions. I have been following the excellent articles here: https://highlandmiscellany.com/2015/08/23/the-cruellest-cut-carrying-on-with-hornbys-gresley-buffet/

However, i have a snag. The space to the right of the kitchen door is 80mm for new panneling.. To the left of the door is 37mm, but out of this needs to come 8mm for the new half window, so leaving about 29mm of new panelling.

All the pictures i have seen, such as this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldrailpics/31776924807/in/pool-2178722@N22/ appear to show the new panels equally sized - there are 7 to the right of the kitchen door and 3 (plus the new half window) to the left. If thats the case, then the maths doesnt add up. To the right the panels would be 80mm /7 = 11.4mm wide, but to the left they would be 29mm / 3 = 9.6mm wide.

so what am i doing wrong? is it perspective in the pictures that seems to show the panels all the same size or something else? 

Here is where i am so far with it with a scale to show the issue:

any advice?

Ian

20231012_111626.jpg.2bcf5b9d49906752071b9511c5694ae3.jpg

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

dia167part.png.64e5dde79d5ad82079b63ff56176fcb1.png

Hi Ian

This is my take on the refurbished Dia 167.

a002.jpg.cadbedaab10faec7c36377bc1d5e5188.jpg

My part started Dia 167 (right hand) along side the refurbished Dia 275. Both needing the new panels.

Excellent thanks. Just what I needed.

So internally, what changes were made to the bar area? Do I need to change the Hornby interior moulding?

Ian

The bar was much smaller and the roof above it was boxed in. Extra seats as well as the bar wasn't as long. The wall profile internally was altered, although I doubt you want to model that. . The most horrible Formica was used and they moved the kitchen door in the corridor so it didn't line up with the external doors anymore. That's all I can remember off the top of my head. The half window in the kitchen is actually a cut down full size one.

Edited by Trestrol
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Trestrol said:

No they had the BR style loose chairs. The LNER loose chairs were discarded. Most ending up in the Railway Institute gymnasium in York. The NRM's in and LNERCA's buffets both have original chairs recovered from their.

I seem to recall that the North Norfolk's one had them from there as well but the sea air played havoc so they got some produced in stainless steel?

56 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I seem to recall that the North Norfolk's one had them from there as well but the sea air played havoc so they got some produced in stainless steel?

Not sure whether they ever recovered any genuine chairs but I seem to recall that when it was first restored in the early 80s, the chairs were reproduced along with some of the bar fittings.

I thought they had all new made. The chairs recovered for LNERCA'S buffet were in remarkable condition despite their age. Most had been painted over the original chrome. The paint removed ok and the chrome was in tip top condition underneath. I don't think we had them rechromed. Most still had their original Rexine covers. Red or blue.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any interior photos they could post or link to as they were after the conversions? Loads of pics online but I'm not sure if they are representational of how they were in the 1950s / 1960s.

Edited by ikcdab

I haven't. But if you can find an interior picture of the NRMs buffet there is a screen half way down the carriage. This is part of the BR conversion. It has the half round windows in it. 

Forgot about these on the LNERCA website. Two pictures that may help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lnerca/albums/72157626812937847/

Edited by Trestrol

1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

As suggested:

20221223_152632.jpg.c1d035e8cdcfacc4e26b5ec3bb6a47b9.jpg

NYMRNRM2010IMG_1307MT.JPG.de3de54b1732614dcdeb78e3d1dab1a9.JPG

Nearly but a bit of a halfway house. The stills boiler is boxed in and the door from behind the counter to the kitchen is in the wrong place. Both BR mods. Plus the over bar box is

Not LNER but the counter is. It's a right hitch potch. There's another picture on line taken from the non-kitchen end that shows the modified screen. The one in the top picture is as originalish.

Edited by Trestrol