Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Environmentally sustainable model railway exhibitions

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

Everybody who wants to live in the countryside should be made to apply for a permit to do so.

What a miserable world to live in that sort of vision of the future looks like!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BachelorBoy said:

I don't know you. How am I supposed to calculate without you providing me with information?

Exactly, you dont know anyone's reasons for moving to the countryside.

I'll tell you mine.  After being injured, I needed to get out of cities.  I was medically retired and as such was lucky to be able to afford a nice home in a lovely village.  I was welcomed with open arms by the locals.

Being in a calm environment certainly helped my recovery when 2 years after injury I lost my leg.  I had no end of help from the locals.  

I am now active in my community, helping those with mobility problems the way I was helped.  I help out in maintaining community communal area, I employ local tradesmen, I spend money in local shops, though I do use a supermarket 15 miles away.  When I do that I also get bulk shopping in for others.

I have met my partner, who is also an in-commer, I found a few guys from my and another village who share my model railway interest.  I've made great solid friendships with those I go hillwalking with.

I occasionally work from home occasionally work mon-thu 100 miles away, which I stay in a hotel for, safe in the knowledge that my partner and step sons are kept safe at home with good neighbours who look out for each other.

I grow most of my own veg, buy locally produced meat and dairy, collect rainwater and recycle as much as I can.

I drive almost every day when I'm at home 

Now tell me why should I have had to apply for a permit?

Tell me what excess detrimental environmental effects I produce?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

So cram us all into a 15 minute city .

This is the future ?

image.png.bac49e293be8eed9b9edb173c73d0d84.png

Brit15

In the words of another contributor on this web-site, "I used to live in a fifteen-minute city; it was called the 1970's."

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, NBL said:

Exactly, you dont know anyone's reasons for moving to the countryside.

I'll tell you mine.  After being injured, I needed to get out of cities.  I was medically retired and as such was lucky to be able to afford a nice home in a lovely village.  I was welcomed with open arms by the locals.

Being in a calm environment certainly helped my recovery when 2 years after injury I lost my leg.  I had no end of help from the locals.  

I am now active in my community, helping those with mobility problems the way I was helped.  I help out in maintaining community communal area, I employ local tradesmen, I spend money in local shops, though I do use a supermarket 15 miles away.  When I do that I also get bulk shopping in for others.

I have met my partner, who is also an in-commer, I found a few guys from my and another village who share my model railway interest.  I've made great solid friendships with those I go hillwalking with.

I occasionally work from home occasionally work mon-thu 100 miles away, which I stay in a hotel for, safe in the knowledge that my partner and step sons are kept safe at home with good neighbours who look out for each other.

I grow most of my own veg, buy locally produced meat and dairy, collect rainwater and recycle as much as I can.

I drive almost every day when I'm at home 

Now tell me why should I have had to apply for a permit?

Tell me what excess detrimental environmental effects I produce?

I wouldn't worry about it, he was just trolling by his own admission.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

Yes. I was not being serious. But there are ends-justify-means activists out there who think that way.

I'd read your post before I saw you saying that. I'd say if you're not being serious don't say it, especially if you get annoyed at the responses you receive (and saying them up just to get a rise rather than spur debate is contemptible). I'll take what people say at face value if they don't make it clear in advance that they're raising an issue as a point of discussion rather than giving their honest opinion. I'm not interested in second-guessing.

If you think a point of view needs to be discussed even though you don't agree with it (which is generally a healthy stance to take) then raise it without pretending to support it. Otherwise you'll just end up irritating people.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

But there are ends-justify-means activists out there who think that way.

Indeed there are. But how many of these very vocal activists are experienced and qualified in the fields of energy / transport / climate etc and have any real idea of the problems and solutions, thus are worth listening to ? A very small % I would say, and definitely not the orange paint brigade etc.

I have stated my experience as a qualified energy engineer at the sharp end of the gas industry. I know many of the energy problems we all face going forward. There are lots of practical and viable answers, none of which will be easy or affordable for many. Energy is life.

Leave the country folks alone, a miniscule part of the problem (like model railway exhibitions). 

Lets start by getting these two wars stopped before they escalate. A Win for everyone on this planet. Move forward from there.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Gt.Shefford said:

Am I surprised that no one could spare 30 from their argument to listen to the presentation given by Prof. Mark Blyth

Please do not despair; I have pencilled it in for the weekend lap-top session.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I hate the green movement.  They're always busy telling us what we must do or eat, however impractical that may be (and it usually is).  We're particularly afflicted by that sort of stuff in Scotland.  If you're going to require a green alternative to what we have, invent it, perfect it, make sure it not only sustainable but every bit as good as what it's replacing and no more expensive, and then I'm sure we'll be happy to adopt it.  Don't try to fob us off with something that's more expensive and doesn't work half as well or is impracticable for many of us.  Tha sustainabilty or otherwise of a model railway exhibition, by the way, will play no part at all in my decision as to whether I'll attend it.

Anyway, we can all go on about transport, energy, food and all these other things the Greens get het up about, but no-one ever mentions the elephant in the room and the world's greatest threat to the environment, i.e. overpopulation of the human race.  Now what are we going to do about that?  Until that little problem is resolved we might as well forget about all the others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, PMP said:

The locations you’ve listed weren’t built with the late 40’s bomber deterrent, they were existing stations and primarily transport command. Heyford did go to USAFE fairly early on. The immediate post war bomber provision was from the Lincoln and also a batch of second hand B-29 superfortress aircraft. They were called the Washington by the RAF and were early underpowered variants, which were operated for around five years prior to the Canberra coming on line. They (B29’s) were based at Marham in Norfolk, and either Cottesmore or Coningsby and as a stop gap there were relatively few of them.

However, none of these have approach paths over major cities. In any case that doesn't alter the well evidenced reality of how Heathrow's location was based on misinformation   and I doubt if anyone would place a major airport in such a location now (City Airports like London and Belfast are a different matter and not without controversy)   Of course nobody expected aviation to turn into mass transport. When Heathrow was developed, the expectation was that  civil aviation would be largely the preserve of the wealthy, government officials and mail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gt.Shefford said:

Am I surprised that no one could spare 30 from their argument to listen to the presentation given by Prof. Mark Blyth

Just watched it, very interesting. Parts are a little over my head (I'm an engineer not a banker) but the European banks (etc) reminds me of the words in the title song of "The Italian Job" - This is the self wealth preservation society !!!

A great part of the worlds woes lies on the shenanigans and greed of the worlds banks (etc), especially the large international ones.

I'm glad we never joined the Euro, we certainly dodged a bullet there.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Does that extend to not doing anything about the issue?

No.  I try to do things that I consider to be sustainable, practical and good for the environment.  The Green movement, on the other hand, or at least those who get the publicity/shout loudest, insists on people complying with their often loony and totally impracticable ideas which as far as I'm concerned do more harm than good and would actually be harmful to many people.  Of course, you probably haven't come across the Scottish Green Party yet......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

However, none of these have approach paths over major cities. In any case that doesn't alter the well evidenced reality of how Heathrow's location was based on misinformation   and I doubt if anyone would place a major airport in such a location now (City Airports like London and Belfast are a different matter and not without controversy)   Of course nobody expected aviation to turn into mass transport. When Heathrow was developed, the expectation was that  civil aviation would be largely the preserve of the wealthy, government officials and mail.

No none of them do have urban approaches or those you listed yourself. At the time bombers like the B29 wouldn’t have been based at LHR, they were the nuclear deterrent, hence being based where they were.
Balfour’s ace card in playing this one actually removed Bovingdon Herts (as subsequently became the hold and navigation aid), from the equation too, as that was expected to be the London Airport, and had already commenced regular commercial traffic, including trans-Atlantic flights. Gatwick at this time wasn’t considered a player.

One problem all airports have is planners and developers, they frequently endeavour to build as close to an airport as possible, hence the growth of west london directly under the eastern departure and arrival routes.

• Informative/Useful 1

Good grief this thread has drifted off tack to Heineken levels and reminds me of some of the more histrionic debates we student planners at the Birmingham Poly Faculty of the Built Environment used to get up to in between lectures in the early 80s.  In my and my fellow alumnii's defence, we were in our twenties, thought we knew everything, old coffin dodgers were the problem and we would save the world.

Then we grew up.

To be fair though, we did have Perry Barr to look at out of the common room windows, so perhaps our radical arguments were a classic case of environmental conditioning.

I can't say I look forward to the first green model railway show.  Layouts full of copper kettles, Flying Jockstrap and things south of the Thames leave me cold.  Now a blue exhibition full of trains with coathangers and BR era diesels, I'd happily drive the State Skip to even if located in the middle of the back of beyond.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, Torper said:

I hate the green movement.  They're always busy telling us what we must do or eat, however impractical that may be (and it usually is).  We're particularly afflicted by that sort of stuff in Scotland.  If you're going to require a green alternative to what we have, invent it, perfect it, make sure it not only sustainable but every bit as good as what it's replacing and no more expensive, and then I'm sure we'll be happy to adopt it.  Don't try to fob us off with something that's more expensive and doesn't work half as well or is impracticable for many of us.  Tha sustainabilty or otherwise of a model railway exhibition, by the way, will play no part at all in my decision as to whether I'll attend it.

If only politicians did what they promised, or better still, listened to what the people are asking for... 🙄 😆 

4 hours ago, Torper said:

Anyway, we can all go on about transport, energy, food and all these other things the Greens get het up about, but no-one ever mentions the elephant in the room and the world's greatest threat to the environment, i.e. overpopulation of the human race.  Now what are we going to do about that?  Until that little problem is resolved we might as well forget about all the others.

Unfortunately that's absolutely true, but if you dare mention it to the a lot of the planet saving crusaders you get accused of all sorts of nasty things.

Been there...

2 hours ago, Torper said:

No.  I try to do things that I consider to be sustainable, practical and good for the environment. 

Likewise, we try very hard not to be "consumers", live within our means and not be wasteful.

2 hours ago, Torper said:

The Green movement, on the other hand, or at least those who get the publicity/shout loudest, insists on people complying with their often loony and totally impracticable ideas which as far as I'm concerned do more harm than good and would actually be harmful to many people.  Of course, you probably haven't come across the Scottish Green Party yet......

Shouting other people down or having them labelled as a pariah is one of the worst crimes of the so called progressives.

Liberal fascists who are convinced that any deviation from their world view should be forcibly silenced.

We've all met them. They have all the answers, everyone else is wrong, they're permanently offended and have screeching fits at anyone who transgresses. 

This is perhaps why they demand "safe spaces"* because out in the real world, a smack in the mouth is almost inevitable.

*Safe for them to bully others that is.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Torper said:

1) If you think that is a problem already, then it is, in the short term, insoluble. Well, insoluble unless you are prepared to kill hundreds of millions of people, perhaps billions. I would hope you are not.

2) The problem is, very slowly, beginning to solve itself. (The secret is to educate girls, so they then prefer to have careers instead of lots of children). China is now longer the country with the world's most people. Its population shrank last year for the first time since the man-made famine of the late 1950s. That's projected to drop by a further 100mn by 2050. Japan's population dropped by nearly a million in 2022. Hong Kong, South Korea, and Singapore all have birth rates well below replacement levels. 

If current trends continue (always a big "if") the UN says the world population should peak at 10.4 billion towards the end of the century. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1