OOWorks L&Y Aspinall Class 27

Robin Verth

On 17/10/2023 at 08:18, Robin Verth said:

OO works have announced that their next loco for 2023/24 is a ex L&Y Aspinall Class 27 0-6-0.

Sounds like something I could be interested in but who or what is OO works? I've never heard of it. Can you give some more information, please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you Google oo works you will find their website, which gives plenty of useful info. They have been around since 2001 and produce rtr limited runs of the kind of locos the big manufacturers don't often do. Currently they are gearing up to make The Aspinall 27, they have done quite a few LSWR types, GC C13 4-4-2 tanks etc. There are good photos of previous models on the site.

Alastair M

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Ooooh one of my favourite locos and a regular in Port Dinorwic, might have to make a sneaky purchase.

That's interesting. What time period would this be? Do you have any photos of them there?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd missed this until I saw it mentioned in this month's Railway Modeller!

Its been quite a while since they did anything LMS/LMR (IIRC the last were the Midland 2Fs about 10 years ago!), so I'll definitely be having one of these.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 12:40, Ruston said:

Sounds like something I could be interested in but who or what is OO works? I've never heard of it. Can you give some more information, please?

Many thanks for the advice.  I've been wanting one for years and have just placed an order.

(I'll place another if they do a rerun of the Midland 2Fs)

Peterfgf

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fantastic

oo works have made fantastic bespoke runs of models for many years, with many clever innovations along the way.

Its basically a patt brass, kit built and painted rtr model sold in a batch run.

They are highly treasured and pretty much made to pre-order, which is why so few of them escape into the wild. They did the class 23 14 years ago, the L&Y 27 will go nicely.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 12:40, Ruston said:

They have a nicely old fashioned feel. Satisfyingly heavy, metal construction, sealed motor. Very solid. It's nice to have an RTR loco that you don't break trying to get it out of the box or when you breath on it. I like them a lot. Jolly expensive, though.

They seldom do repeats. It used to be a selling point that they never did. 

They produce a lot of pre-Grouping types, but seldom in pre-Grouping liveries. They did do an I3 in LB&SCR umber and a LSWR 330 Class in Holly Green (below), and one of their most recent was the LSWR Jubilee, which they did with Drummond chimney and in Urie LSWR green.  

This might give you some idea of the standard of detail and finish:

20201020_190846.jpg.13ad33f949e59d268518049a5b917ded.jpg

They (a husband and wife team, I think) are also quite charming to deal with. 

Turning to the Aspinall, I notice the plain black version. I have not much info on L&Y locos, but I wonder if the physical condition of the model is consistent with L&Y in-service condition, because, if so, it would make a nice lining out challenge for someone.  

OO Works seem to have gone for the graceful lines of the original build, not the rather clumpier belpaire rebuilds, which were presumably done to only some of the classs from 1911.  

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

They have a nicely old fashioned feel. Satisfyingly heavy, metal construction, sealed motor. Very solid. It's nice to have an RTR loco that you don't break trying to get it out of the box or when you breath on it. I like them a lot. Jolly expensive, though.

They seldom do repeats. It used to be a selling point that they never did. 

They produce a lot of pre-Grouping types, but seldom in pre-Grouping liveries. They did do an I3 in LB&SCR umber and a LSWR 330 Class in Holly Green (below), and one of their most recent was the LSWR Jubilee, which they did with Drummond chimney and in Urie LSWR green.  

This might give you some idea of the standard of detail and finish:

20201020_190846.jpg.13ad33f949e59d268518049a5b917ded.jpg

They (a husband and wife team, I think) are also quite charming to deal with. 

Turning to the Aspinall, I notice the plain black version. I have not much info on L&Y locos, but I wonder if the physical condition of the model is consistent with L&Y in-service condition, because, if so, it would make a nice lining out challange for someone.  

OO Works seem to have gone for the graceful lines of the original build, not the rather clumper belpaire rebuilds, which were presumably done to only some of the classs from 1911.  

Thanks for that.

I managed to rebuild the old Craftsman kit that I got, second hand, from ebay, and fit a Bachmann Southern Class C chassis under it. It's not 100% right but it will do.

DSCF0329.JPG.3359142275e4a3899bf4888d9b996f08.JPG

DSCF0341.JPG.f3ddcd1ba7897bc68696b606aa599a99.JPG

Now if a RTR Belpaire version, or a Class 28, were to be produced then I'd have one of those.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Thanks for that.

I managed to rebuild the old Craftsman kit that I got, second hand, from ebay, and fit a Bachmann Southern Class C chassis under it. It's not 100% right but it will do.

DSCF0329.JPG.3359142275e4a3899bf4888d9b996f08.JPG

DSCF0341.JPG.f3ddcd1ba7897bc68696b606aa599a99.JPG

Now if a RTR Belpaire version, or a Class 28, were to be produced then I'd have one of those.

Perhaps this?  This is by Knuckles of this parish and it's better to buy from him directly than via the ruinously priced Shapeways.  Knuckles also does the belpaire built 28.

A J Models does a 3D print of the original round-top configuration. So far as I know he only sells via Shapeways: Class 27. Thus, the choice would be £325 for the OO Works or £125.15-£156.47 (plus VAT, courier et) for the 3D print plus c.£90-£115 for a donor Bachmann engine plus whatever bits and bobs to finish.   I think the OO Works version would make for a nicer model, but the more homemade alternative could save you up to £50-£100. 

I am speculating from a position of ignorance, but I am guessing that the smokebox doors  on the OO Works model (and the A J Models 3D print) are a Hughes "improvement", so probably seen no earlier than the Nineteen teens? Thus, the later smokebox door is potentially compatible with L&YR lined livery, but I suspect later than I'd like.

image.png.144c297a34a85f9a28a2552a7ada5270.png

The A J Models 27 3D-print body:

image.png.a0a62d6856b9f2fae0cac530ec41e8f1.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ive ordered a couple of these.

in addition to the Numbered versions offered, they  are also offering plain unnumbered black, early and late safety valves and with choice of toolbox locations, so you can self finish.

Apparently they may be here by April.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 12:58, Edwardian said:

OO Works seem to have gone for the graceful lines of the original build, not the rather clumpier belpaire rebuilds, which were presumably done to only some of the classs from 1911.  

I wonder whether the Belpaire rebuild might be in their future plans?- When they did the Midland 2F some years back, they did the Belpaire version, then followed up with the round-top firebox version as their next release.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...