Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2023 at 10:33, phil gollin said:

I hope that they sell well (mine are, hopefully, on their way)  -  If so, I really would a new run, with the BR Green (without a yellow panel) numbered 20001 (not 20002).

There, that's my New Year's wish  !

It very often occurs that when an existing model is re-released with a new identity (and usually with a correspondingly higher price), earlier releases that remain are available at their original cost or in some cases with an attractive discount. This can be a very tempting proposition for those willing to renumber; in the case of the Bulleid/Raworth electric locos, that would take very little work.

Actually it reminds me more of the Crosti 9F that came out as Railroad, rather than a full fat model.

Totally unexpected and  completely amazing!

2 hours ago, Metropolitan said:

I doubt its worth buying. That's why it's EFE. Needs to see what Sam's Trains has to say.

So what do you  imagine is wrong with the model ?   I'm happy with what I see.

• Agree 4

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

The price.

Well don't buy it then - you've just destroyed any validity to your earlier comment and made yourself look dumb.

• Agree 10
  • Round of applause 3

2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Must agree ............ I paid less than four quid for my first loco ( Hornby-Dublo 8F - three rail, of course ) and the prices for EVERYTHING seems to have gone up since then ! ..... disgraceful ☹️

Yeah, I remember when I could get a haircut for one and three (the barber's sign said "Haircutting: gentlemen 1/6, boys 1/3")

Now I can afford one and a tanner, I don't need haircuts!

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yeah, I remember when I could get a haircut for one and three (the barber's sign said "Haircutting: gentlemen 1/6, boys 1/3")

Now I can afford one and a tanner, I don't need haircuts!

Mrs Stationmaster attends to my hair cutting rearrangement of remaining folicles   She does an excellent job but I still can't work out if tit is cheaper or more expensive than visiting a barber???

• Funny 6

3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mrs Stationmaster attends to my hair cutting rearrangement of remaining folicles   She does an excellent job but I still can't work out if tit is cheaper or more expensive than visiting a barber???

If you wanted your hair trimmed on a day like today, at least you would get it in the warm and dry!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Well don't buy it then - you've just destroyed any validity to your earlier comment and made yourself look dumb.

Of course I am going to buy it. Do you think I will be able to resist? I've tried and tried but don't possess the willpower.😂

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

A question about the pantograph. If these were moved to the East Coast or something, assuming the voltage was correct, could these actually run under the wires? Or are the pantographs not rated to run at speed being designed to potter around in a yard? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

36 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

A question about the pantograph. If these were moved to the East Coast or something, assuming the voltage was correct, could these actually run under the wires? Or are the pantographs not rated to run at speed being designed to potter around in a yard? 

They'd probably explode....

The Boosters were designed to work on the third rail power supply of about 700 volts DC. The pantograph was intended to pick up the current in shunting yards from a simple tramlike overhead cable to reduce the danger to railwaymen working in the yards where the 3rd rail was never installed.

Putting something like 25kv AC through the pantograph would be very unpleasant!

The pantograph would probably collapse under a modern catenary system anyway...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Must agree ............ I paid less than four quid for my first loco ( Hornby-Dublo 8F - three rail, of course ) and the prices for EVERYTHING seems to have gone up since then ! ..... disgraceful ☹️

When I were a lad you could get a tram down into t’town, buy three new suits an’ an overcoat, four pair o’ good boots, go an’ see George Formby at t’Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, ‘ave some steak an’ chips, bunch o’ bananas an’ three stone o’ monkey nuts an’ still ‘ave change out of a farthing. 😉

(with apologies to Tony Capstick)

In other news I have now collected my EFE BR green Bulleid Booster loco from my local model shop, Grimy Times model railways in Warrington.

Bench tested and it runs very smoothly, straight out of the box.  Good low speed control and maximum warp speed is about what it should be to scale for one of these locos.  There's a good weight to it and it's all wheel drive, so although not tested with a long train yet, I'm confident that it'll manage a scale length train on Star Lane.  Very pleased with it.  Just need to fit the goody pack, Kadee couplings and then it can go into the queue for weathering before the next exhibition. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Seventeen pence is a lot of money for a model locomotive, at that price I'm expecting it to be handcrafted in brass by scantily clad Chinese maidens and painted by fellows of the Royal Society of Arts and powered by accurate OO scale booster equipment and prototypical Deltic engines and with a working Brecknell Willis high speed pantograph.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

... are the pantographs not rated to run at speed being designed to potter around in a yard? 

Comparing a few photos, I would say that the Boosters' pantographs most closely resemble those originally fitted to the Newport-Shildon locos though the last survivor of those looks to have gained standard Manchester-Sheffield fittings when transferred to Ilford for carriage shunting. Why design something specifically for yard pottering when the railway next door - your former employers and still good friends - already have something suitable !!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Comparing a few photos, I would say that the Boosters' pantographs most closely resemble those originally fitted to the Newport-Shildon locos though the last survivor of those looks to have gained standard Manchester-Sheffield fittings when transferred to Ilford for carriage shunting. Why design something specifically for yard pottering when the railway next door - your former employers and still good friends - already have something suitable !!?!

I have no idea, I assume there are different speed rated pantographs. Some are a single arm, storm are like a scissor lift, I assume thats not an aesthetic choice. 

2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

When I were a lad you could get a tram down into t’town, buy three new suits an’ an overcoat, four pair o’ good boots, go an’ see George Formby at t’Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, ‘ave some steak an’ chips, bunch o’ bananas an’ three stone o’ monkey nuts an’ still ‘ave change out of a farthing. 😉

🙂

A farthing? You got mugged! 

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

(with apologies to Tony Capstick)

Wot no 5 pack of Weights ciggies. You was robbed. Waiting for my ordered BR green booster from Rails.

Expensive month as I should have a green 25/3 coming as well.

• Friendly/supportive 2

48 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

I assume there are different speed rated pantographs. Some are a single arm, some are like a scissor lift, I assume that's not an aesthetic choice. 

Presumably there are advantages & disadvantages to both types - I can imagine the shear forces in the knuckle of a single arm pan could be problematic f'rinstance. Most early locos & units carried variants of the diamond frame type but - in BR practice - that changed with the AC locos which went with single-arm .... until the 87s reverted to diamonds !