Rapido LNER J52/2 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Rapido on this announcement. We wish them every success with the project.👍

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll, the class has been steadily climbing and was in High Polling in 2019. In 2022 (the next Poll to run), it had very slightly slipped back into the Middle Polling segment although higher up in the LNER Locos category.

Overall, it was still in the top half of overall voting.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 4

Hi, have seen your announcement about the J52 68846. Will the model be based on when it was in steam in preservation in the late 90’s? Also have you considered a version when the loco was running around in the early 60’s as 1247? Thanks Fred

• Like 1

There is a real danger that I might just succumb to one of these in BR black early crest, as I always wanted one of the Hornby versions of this loco as a kid. Don’t really know why - it was something about the shape that I found aesthetically attractive!

Did these ever get into Norfolk/Suffolk?

Steve S

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

There is a real danger that I might just succumb to one of these in BR black early crest, as I always wanted one of the Hornby versions of this loco as a kid. Don’t really know why - it was something about the shape that I found aesthetically attractive!

Steve S

A quick check of BR Loco Database suggests no - nearest to Norfolk/Suffolk would be Peterborough New England. Of course, there’s already Rule 1… 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, have seen your announcement about the J52 68846. Will the model be based on when it was in steam in preservation in the late 90’s? Also have you considered a version when the loco was running around in the early 60’s as 1247? Thanks Fred

Hi Fredo, it'll be 1960s condition although there aren't a huge number of differences between the two, the main one is the plate on the front splasher.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Rule 1, my friend, Rule 1 applies!

I bet not many people knew that at least one example got sold out of service to the Association of Independent Light Railways, joining the J72s and possibly the alleged J69, Y7 and J15 already on their books...

Disclaimer:

Despite alleged appearances to the contrary, Captain Kernow does not confirm or deny liking or owning any LNER or ex-LNER locomotives and any rumours to the contrary will be treated as scurrilous and referred to the Supreme Pannier for adjudication.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Alas while there were many places where a Great Northern interloper might be acceptable to a Midland modeller - Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire, Manchester - I fear north Birmingham is just too much of a stretch. 

Must resist!

Hum. I'm thinking that running powers from the Derby area - perhaps by virtue of the North Staffordshire - over the LNWR South Staffordshire line and hence onto Midland metals in the Walsall / Wolverhampton area might not stretch the imagination too far beyond the bounds of plausibility... 

The Great Northern turned up in some odd places, Stafford for example.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Rule 1, my friend, Rule 1 applies!

I bet not many people knew that at least one example got sold out of service to the Association of Independent Light Railways, joining the J72s and possibly the alleged J69, Y7 and J15 already on their books...

Disclaimer:

Despite alleged appearances to the contrary, Captain Kernow does not confirm or deny liking or owning any LNER or ex-LNER locomotives and any rumours to the contrary will be treated as scurrilous and referred to the Supreme Pannier for adjudication.

Hmmmmm…. I think that a ‘debranded’ ref 958001 with frames in black might look suitably light railway… I am sore tempted (says he, having already pre-ordered an O1* in BR black late crest)

* Actually at one point I nearly accidentally ordered four of them due to a glitch in the order process recording multiple key strokes … it was the total amount being nigh on £700 that made me double take and back track!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected model version reference number!
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Hum. I'm thinking that running powers from the Derby area - perhaps by virtue of the North Staffordshire - over the LNWR South Staffordshire line and hence onto Midland metals in the Walsall / Wolverhampton area might not stretch the imagination too far beyond the bounds of plausibility... 

The Great Northern turned up in some odd places, Stafford for example.

The GN got to Derby (Friargate) so why not!! Mine will be running on the Southern Region. I’ve seen photos of them at Clapham Junction so good enough for me!! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ventnor said:

The GN got to Derby (Friargate) so why not!! Mine will be running on the Southern Region. I’ve seen photos of them at Clapham Junction so good enough for me!! 

No physical connection between the GN and Mid at Derby itself but several other areas of overlap in Derbyshire:

1024px-Codnor_Park_Derby_Bottesford,_Sax

Burton:

676px-Burton,_Dove,_Egginton_&_Willingto

and to Stafford over its own metals from the North staffs at Uttoxeter:

1280px-Colwich,_Norton_Bridge_&_Stafford

[Embedded links to RCH Junction Diagrams at Wikimedia Commons.]

• Like 2

Fine choice of subject. My old Hornby body on Bach 57xx mech can receive a late steam filth livery, and I can have a beautifully liveried example of Captain Bill's pioneering private preservation effort. (It was kept a short cycle ride from home, major element in my youthful nostalgia collection, I shall feast tonight on baked beans on toast in celebration.)

On 10/11/2023 at 12:30, RichardT said:

...Not sure J52s ever got to the north east of England though!...

Everyone in the KX inner-sub area knows that the North begins at Biggleswade*, so operation in North East England is a given at GNR locations East of Greenwich such as - Skegness!

*On departing the centre of the universe on The Great North Road, the signage was consistently 'next town name and The North'. The last sign in this style was 'Biggleswade and The North'; thereafter no more mention of 'The North': because you were in it. QED.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
typo correction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

i have been growing a little jealous of the numerous quality models recently released for GW and Southern modellers, so I am delighted by Rapido's announcement regarding the J52.  A well travelled prototype, working regularly to Southern metals and as far west as Wrexham in addition to the regular GN and CLC haunts.  I am also pleased that a can motor is to be fitted. 

From the garden of my childhood home trains could be heard on both the ECML and working hard on the climb from Stroud Green to Crouch End.  Later I attended a school whose upstairs windows gave distant views of Ferme Park marshalling yard, so J52s were well known to me.  I think the suggestion regarding a condensing fitted example is a good shout, particularly if of a prototype allocated to KX or Hornsey in LNER days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

i have been growing a little jealous of the numerous quality models recently released for GW and Southern modellers, so I am delighted by Rapido's announcement regarding the J52. 

Ah, you see, they are saving the best till last.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

No doubt the cows will argue 'til they come home whether "Captain Bill Smith ... became the owner of the World’s very first privately owned BR steam locomotive" - but I thought the Worlds very first preserved railway had acquired a couple of steam locomotives from a line that BR had fortuitously closed nearby ..... something like ten years before the good Captain appeared on the scene. 🙄

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Agree 1