RMweb

The Quirky Poll 2023

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

How's this for quirkiness? https://www.bermudarailway.net/ The double ended/twin engined luggage vans (100/101) in particular.

image.png.f92881336caa1e3431d8ccd6324f4331.png

They were powered by two straight eight side valve petrol engines via a Wilson* gearbox all mounted on the bogies with chain drive to the inner axle connected to the outer axle by rod drive. *As fitted to most BR first generation DMU's and class 03 and 04 shunters

Petrol?  Are you sure, the chimney a third in from the left looks as if it belongs...

But interestingly odd.  It would look good in a narrow gauge setting...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My favourite is still not on the list ....

Of course, I'll also want the coaches and track to go with it.

7.jpg5.jpg6.jpg.1083e4f613938a7d7fa5e98602404d69.jpg

Hello Michael 

The line was in the 2020 Poll. As it was Low Polling, we have deleted it - at least for the time being.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Well done Brian & team; the obscure and esoteric need their champion in this hobby.

Hello Johnster

Many thanks for your usual supportive comments.

I just wanted to point out that I and The Team do, indeed, put forward a number of the items but many others are suggestions from voters that 'get a fair hearing' before being entered in The Poll.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've just indicated my choices...

Of course, if all of them were to be produced, I'd probably only be able to afford the least expensive!

A good point, although I think that even the least expensive item would only be a "maybe", even if something I want were actually on the list. Hence I cannot vote for any of the options.  The answer to the question of "what would I actually buy" depends entirely on whether the model is accurate, in the right scale and whether it is of sound, traditional, "serviceable/repairable at home" construction, also offered for an affordably low price.  I am not now prepared to buy anything that follows the current trend for ridiculously high price (even though outsourced) and bizarre, complex construction, possibly with quality in doubt too.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Petrol?  Are you sure, the chimney a third in from the left looks as if it belongs...

But interestingly odd.  It would look good in a narrow gauge setting...

They were standard gauge. They were built by English Electric at Preston which is where the photograph was taken. The original livery was yellow with maroon lettering but this was reversed in the late thirties. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They were standard gauge. They were built by English Electric at Preston which is where the photograph was taken. The original livery was yellow with maroon lettering but this was reversed in the late thirties. 

The edit was to visit the website to check the gauge before the n/g comment was made!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Has the Festiniog hearse wagon featured previously?

Quirky, but one I reckon could easily be a mainstream model as it was converted from the quarryman's coaches that PECO make.

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Hearse_van

https://www.flickr.com/photos/homestyal/33695048173

Very simple kit available from GEM (usually loads on eBay). Virtually about six main parts.

Jason

• Like 2

One of the quirky designs not on the list is a crane locomotive. Has one (or more!) such been placed before this discerning mob previously? (I was otherwise engaged the last time this poll ran.)

5 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

... Had the Y5 been a Hill Y4...

Oh yes, please consider for next year. An object lesson in making a steam locomotive look like a brick which has landed on a set of outside Walschaerts gear.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello 34C

We have listed GWR Crane Tank Steropes. It was High Polling in 2020 but dropped back to Middle in 2021 - so, it doesn't appear this year. I'm happy to take suggestions as long you give a link of two.

I have had a look at the Y4. To my mind (personally) it isn't really 'quirky' - but I have put it on the main Poll Agenda to see if fits that (and if not, whether it can go to Quirky).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've voted - assuming Snowdon railway stock would be done to 009 and I'd be able to run it on my N Gauge track. A 1:148 Ivor would be modelling heaven! I think I could make an exception for a OO gauge version but it would have t come with DCC sound.

I'm still waiting to vote for Cycloped complete with animated horse. 

Steven B.

• Like 2

Definitely the KESR railbus!

I have an unhealthy obsession with road vehicles adapted to rail. I have two 3D printed/Kato 109-powered ones on my Irish OO9 layout (County Donegal Railcar No. 4 and Clogher Valler Railway "The Unit").

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great to see this poll, some very interesting items! It was great to see Beckton No25 listed - I am in the process of making a 4mm version but it would make an excellent RTR model too. Here's a picture of my (unfinished) version in case of interest! You'll note, it is absolutely tiny, but still has a coreless motor, DCC, NEM pockets and a stay alive! I have the number plate all painted ready to put on when complete

BecktonNo251.jpg.8e06d2078339e96598110f35a75a9511.jpg

Cheers, 

Alex

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My favourite is still not on the list ....

Of course, I'll also want the coaches and track to go with it.

7.jpg

There was a similar setup in the southern California desert using wood for the structure and maybe the "rail". A little bit of the "track" still exists (or did a few years ago) due to the dry desert air and the relative isolation of its location. In Death Valley, I think it was.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

There was a similar setup in the southern California desert using wood for the structure and maybe the "rail". A little bit of the "track" still exists (or did a few years ago) due to the dry desert air and the relative isolation of its location. In Death Valley, I think it was.

That would presumably be the Epsom Salts Monorail?  There were also briefly examples in France and Pennsylvania.

Lartigue apparently got the idea after seeing Algerian camels carrying goods in panniers.  It was suggested that raising the running rail well above ground level might be useful in deserts where conventional track would be more liable to disruptions from sandstorms

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funnily enough as a child I was convinced that the L&B was still running somewhere in North Wales!

I think it was because it was featured in a book on narrow gauge railways and nearly all of those were in Wales or the Isle of Man (or so I thought).

Jason

It's in Southern Ireland, and the restoration project is a very friendly setup.  The gates were locked but the chap working there kindly opened the place up and showed me round when I happened to be in the area. They really deserve to be successful.

https://www.facebook.com/stationlistowel/?locale=en_GB

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 2