Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll 2023

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I was a bit disappointed that Drummond's Bug wasn't on the list.

image.png.4a8c31a8855eca9376a1721792c6ae1b.png

Hello PhilJ W

The Bug was in the main poll and was Middle Polling in 2018 and High Polling in 2019. At present, I am unsure why we didn't relist it in 2022 (the next Poll to run) so have dropped a note to The Team. It might take a day or two to answer.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I wouldn't realistically buy any of 'em I'm afraid. 

You mentioned Ryde Pier, but there's some strange stuff on Hythe Pier too...

P1390109 (3).JPG

Former battery locomotive from a WW1 munitions factory.

• RMweb Gold

Hello again PhilJ W

I have found the answer...

The main poll notes show that I was supposed to move it to Quirky for this year - and I have somehow failed to do that!🤪

It is going on the 2025 Agenda now!

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I am assuming something like an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 fireless loco is way too unquirky to make the listings of the quirky poll Brian ? 

Hello Covkid

You - and anyone - are welcome to make suggestions for 2025 and they will 'get a fair hearing'.

When we had an Industrial category in the main Poll, the 0-4-0 Fireless loco was Top 50 in 2018 having climbed from High Polling in 2016.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I am assuming something like an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 fireless loco is way too unquirky to make the listings of the quirky poll Brian ? 

Quite common though. How about the unique Peckett one? I would buy one of those.

Still in existence although has lost it's cladding and parts such as dome.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-2155-cws-irlam-soap-candle-and-starch-works-no-8-0-4-0f/

Scroll down here to see what it looked like when complete. Drawings were in Railway Modeller ISTR.

https://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/locos.htm

And photo and other info here.

https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/5+6/solo_from_peckett.htm

Jason

• Like 1

If I was a manufacturer, which I am not. There would be a clear winner here. LOCOMOTION.  

My reasoning behind this is as follows. 

1. Rocket seems to have sold well

2. Lion seems to have sold well. 

3. 2025 is the 200th anniversary of the Stockton and Darlington railway. Locomotion will be very much in the spotlight and the star of the show. 

Now it would not be easy making a model that actually runs. However a static model priced at a reasonable level say £25 would sell not just to enthusiasts but to Joe public as well. No other model on this list would sell to Joe public and none will be so high profile with a huge anniversary coming up.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - but which generation of Southend Pier Stock ? ( Most of the last generation 'A' set is now 'grounded' as deck shelters at the pier head.)

Not sure what the name of the series is but it is the stock that ran in the 60s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I went for Snowdon Mountain Engine . I’d need track and accompanying coach of course . 

While it’s a bit of fun , disturbingly manufacturers seem to take notice of it . I’d much rather they produced something more mainstream ( like a class 313 !) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I have voted.  There are a few I would get, no Southend Pier stock this time.  I could model myself and my mum and dad on it.

42 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - but which generation of Southend Pier Stock ? ( Most of the last generation 'A' set is now 'grounded' as deck shelters at the pier head.)

There were four generations of motorised rolling stock used on Southend Pier, The toastrack stock (late Victorian/early Edwardian period. The AC cars 'streamlined stock from 1949. The diesel trains and finally the current battery stock. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well out of era personally, but interesting as the basic idea ultimately led to all those GWR, GNR, LNER, SECR, SR, LMS, BR, etc. Moguls and 2-6-4Ts.

William Adams' "Mogul" - 527 Class - of 1878 is the original British 2-6-0 but Baldwins and other US makers had been building outside-cylindered six-coupled locomotives with leading Bissel truck since the 1860s. I suspect the Churchward and Maunsell moguls drew their inspiration more directly from North America?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, darrel said:

If I was a manufacturer, which I am not. There would be a clear winner here. LOCOMOTION.  

My reasoning behind this is as follows. 

1. Rocket seems to have sold well

2. Lion seems to have sold well. 

3. 2025 is the 200th anniversary of the Stockton and Darlington railway. Locomotion will be very much in the spotlight and the star of the show. 

Now it would not be easy making a model that actually runs. However a static model priced at a reasonable level say £25 would sell not just to enthusiasts but to Joe public as well. No other model on this list would sell to Joe public and none will be so high profile with a huge anniversary coming up.

Already done for £8 ISTR as part of that Great British Locomotives partwork a few years back. Alright if you just want one to put on a shelf!

https://www.amercom-hobby.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=623

Come up all the time at carboot sales, charity shops and eBay.

Must dig my one out as I forgot it had a cauldron wagon. Would be interesting to compare it with the Accurascale ones.

Jason

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

William Adams' "Mogul" - 527 Class - of 1878 is the original British 2-6-0 but Baldwins and other US makers had been building outside-cylindered six-coupled locomotives with leading Bissel truck since the 1860s. I suspect the Churchward and Maunsell moguls drew their inspiration more directly from North America?

More or less. But the ones they looked at were virtually off the peg locomotives built by USA locomotive manufacturers that had the same origins as the ones imported to the UK.

It was mostly Harry Holcroft that did all the hard work. The GWR 43xx, GNR 2-6-0s and SECR 2-6-0s were all based on the same basic design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holcroft

Jason

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Already done for £8 ISTR as part of that Great British Locomotives partwork a few years back. Alright if you just want one to put on a shelf!

https://www.amercom-hobby.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=623

Come up all the time at carboot sales, charity shops and eBay.

Must dig my one out as I forgot it had a cauldron wagon. Would be interesting to compare it with the Accurascale ones.

Jason

It's supposedly 1/76 scale but it works out as somewhere between HO and TT scale, about 1/96 scale.

• Informative/Useful 1

What have the Quirky Poll team against the bank accounts of those of us who model the East or England. There are 7 loco's in this list which fit this area, in you allow Beckton as being in the East.

Of these I have a personal link with three of them. However the poll does say which would I purchase? So I have only voted for one of the three and another that is a must have for my 1939-45 period layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It's supposedly 1/76 scale but it works out as somewhere between HO and TT scale, about 1/96 scale.

And its a very much shrunken copy of the 7mm scale pewter model by Bachmann.

• Informative/Useful 1