☆ SWAG Members Day- SUNDAY 28th APRIL 2024☆

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

☆Please note....we will be able to take payment by card but there will be a surcharge due to the charges imposed by the card machine provider☆

You sure about this? I thought this practice of traders imposing a surcharge had been banned!

Andrew

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Sitham Yard said:

You sure about this? I thought this practice of traders imposing a surcharge had been banned!

Andrew

Just checked. Just read the relavent act and section. You're right. However, we will still be charged by the card machine company for each card transaction. 

It will be sorted by the time the event goes ahead. 

1 minute ago, ikcdab said:

Thanks. Already sighted on that. See above. 

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Just checked. Just read the relavent act and section. You're right. However, we will still be charged by the card machine company for each card transaction. 

It will be sorted by the time the event goes ahead. 

Thanks. Already sighted on that. See above. 

Rob

its a pain. I am involved with another local (non-railway) show and we have to absorb these costs which, for us, are not insiginificant. we charge for entry so the costs get factored into the ticket price. For a free show, well, i am sure you will sort it out.

Hugely looking forward to the show again and many thanks for putting it on.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a fab day yet again, my thanks to all involved. 

Most of those layouts I've not seen before, but Laxfield is real old favourite.

See you there, if not before.

Dave.

And no, I haven't built the kits I bought there last time...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, DLT said:

Did you find that photo On This Site???

Crikey ! Definitely not ! 

What kind of weirdo do you think I am.....

Sheepbloke. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

All I can say is thank goodness I haven't been asked to show Bramble's Boatyard even in embryonic form - as I haven't even started it yet I've been so busy this year! Mind you, I guess that is technically embryonic?!

More importantly, every year I wonder how on earth the standard of modelling on show, especially for a free event, can be sustained. Yet every year I am blown away by the exhibits; and that's before I've even got there. Top line up, quality modelling, an 'exhibition' (read: convivial modellers' paradise) not to be missed!

I am however very worried because I've just remembered that our family has booked a holiday in Wales, and I have a horrible feeling it's somewhen around this time... hopefully it's not! 🤞

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's ironic really. My company's bank charges so much to pay cash that I would never ever accept it and would take card in preference as the fees are cheaper for me (though bank transfer is best). I think that the banking industry is just out to make extra money out of us from fees regardless.

More importantly, I have put the 29th April into the family calendar with a *DO NOT DOUBLE BOOK* comment as I know my family…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

It's ironic really. My company's bank charges so much to pay cash that I would never ever accept it and would take card in preference as the fees are cheaper for me (though bank transfer is best). I think that the banking industry is just out to make extra money out of us from fees regardless.

More importantly, I have put the 29th April into the family calendar with a *DO NOT DOUBLE BOOK* comment as I know my family…

Morning Rob, 

You need to amend your calendar to 28th April..............just saying........

Rob

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ikcdab said:

its a pain. I am involved with another local (non-railway) show and we have to absorb these costs which, for us, are not insiginificant. we charge for entry so the costs get factored into the ticket price. For a free show, well, i am sure you will sort it out.

41 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

We have started using Sumup for our club events. Initial cost about £100 for the machine that runs on wifi or mobile phone bluetooth or hot-spot. Charge is 1.69% of value with no separate transaction charges. At our recent show, we had 18 transactions on the club secondhand table with sales of around £1,200 so the deduction on that would have been £20. This came out of the 10% charged for members sales so we were still just about in profit after paying for the machine in the first place and it's now available for future events.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

We have started using Sumup for our club events. Initial cost about £100 for the machine that runs on wifi or mobile phone bluetooth or hot-spot. Charge is 1.69% of value with no separate transaction charges. At our recent show, we had 18 transactions on the club secondhand table with sales of around £1,200 so the deduction on that would have been £20. This came out of the 10% charged for members sales so we were still just about in profit after paying for the machine in the first place and it's now available for future events.

Thanks Mike. 

That's pretty much what we had at this years day.  

I’ll be speaking to our highly skilled sales executives and peeling back the onion on this. 

It’s in hand, not a drama and doesn’t need the focus it’s currently getting. 

The day itself is all about the social interaction and enjoying the layouts etc.....

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mullie said:

Looks like a great line up, might be able to make it!

Would be nice if you could. We can’t go ahead without a Mullie. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that I am in a position to confirm that I am not in a position to deny that this event has every appearance of being something that I may confirm as being something that I can neither deny nor naysay regarding the confirmation of my attendance.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I can confirm that I am in a position to confirm that I am not in a position to deny that this event has every appearance of being something that I may confirm as being something that I can neither deny nor naysay regarding the confirmation of my attendance.

Thanks for that clarification; crystal clear.

A wonderful line-up Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, cornelius said:

This looks like an excellent line up.

With NG South in Eastleigh the day before I might need to negotiate an entire weekend to myself...

I managed it two years ago, exhibited the layout at both.

Mind you, I don't have anyone to "negotiate" with....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thank you Sir Humphrey.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

Great line up Rob. Really looking forward to this. Ruyton Road is particularly interesting to me as it is one of the inspirations behind Lydbrook Dean. It is rather exciting to be on the same bill.

Kyle of Lochalsh brings back memories of my time at university in Scotland, so I'm looking forward to seeing that one too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I am however very worried because I've just remembered that our family has booked a holiday in Wales, and I have a horrible feeling it's somewhen around this time... hopefully it's not! 🤞

Disaster averted! The holiday is during the first two weeks of April. Looks like it'll be Sandy Shores at NG South on the Saturday if they still want me, followed by a trip to SWAG on the Sunday as a visitor - fantastic!

I don't suppose I can reclaim my 'title' as chief photographer again this year, @NHY 581?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

I really hope to be able to make this the first SWAG show I get to, all the layouts look superb, and I'd particularly like to see Ruyton Road again, as John was a good friend and I really enjoyed seeing the progress (& the finished result) as he was building it. Unfortunately I hadn't seen him for a few years and only found out about his passing when reading his obituary in MRJ - I was devastated to say the least....

It's a lovely layout though and a great legacy.

Keith

Edited by keefr2
Can't spell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I don't suppose I can reclaim my 'title' as chief photographer again this year, @NHY 581?

Jamie, you are Chief Photographer in Chief to SWAG for as long as you want to be. 

Your photographs are a lovely and provide an eagerly awaited record of the event. 

R

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1