MRJ 300

lambiedg

I shall pop down to my local purveyor on Friday, to see if its arrived there in time for Xmas!

What we need is a cover'n'contents shot.

16 minutes ago, Barclay said:

And very lovely it looks. I wonder if the change in colour scheme is just for no.300 or a hint of things to come?

Without seeing it, MRJ often does a "Seasonal" cover.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I shall pop down to my local purveyor on Friday, to see if its arrived there in time for Xmas!

What we need is a cover'n'contents shot.

Without seeing it, MRJ often does a "Seasonal" cover.

With apologies for the blurry shot:

IMG_20231219_103908_MP.jpg.386184e9390383241b8f8813ea3b3fef.jpg

IMG_20231219_104334_MP(1).jpg.fc4ea19396daeba3e0e2bc58a35b4bb1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine arrived yesterday. Really good issue. Great to have some Chris Pendlenton content in the Journal again, it's been too long. The only dsiappointing thing for me was that the postie folded it in half to get it through the letterbox and put a great big crease down the middle of it. Why do we have to have such inadequate packaging for these sorts of things? I though packaging was supposed to protect the contents? It might keep the rain off but what's the point if it can be manged? Bring back the board backed envelope and I don't care if it costs more!

Justin

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The letter box is big enough and our usual posties don't have a problem. This was a different one, presumably due to Christmas. However, if it had been in a board backed envelope with 'Please do not bend' on it there might have been a different outcome. 

Justin 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, philip-griffiths said:

If you look back through previous editions you’ll find the Christmas edition would be decked with holly etc.  

... & they used to include a crossword - often fiendishly difficult I seem to remember. Who can forget: 'Sawn' (4,4)? Obvious really but it caused a lot of confusion at the time!

Superb edition.. picked it up from Smith's in Bury who had a staggering 20 copies.. the cover really made it jump to the front I agree

Ps I'm writing this being pulled by Leander through the Irwell valley wiping away a sml tear as I missed out on a footplate ride back by 2 mins.😂

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks excellent. Much of interest within. I just need to work out how to get my hooves on it before Crimbo. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Smiffs?

Probably have it but with no other reason to go there it will be a faff having to drive into the zoo, sorry,  city centre, park etc,etc........

I think on this occasion it's going to be left until after Crimbo. 

Rob. 

On 19/12/2023 at 15:56, Captain Kernow said:

I thought it was interesting (as per the Editorial) that they are focussing on future projects, rather than reflecting about the past. There seem to be some really good layout projects in the pipeline.

I agree with everyone else that it is a really good issue. Though I feel that even with the future layout projects mentioned, they are still very much reflecting about the past.

During the time of Tim Shackleton's editorship they were starting to have some more modern features [well not really modern, but post-steam!] in the magazine, but even that has decreased. Perhaps they need to get a little less cliquey in terms of their contributors.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A superb issue in my oppinion, PK has put together a cracking collection of articles. My particular favourite is Chris Cox’s London and Croydon Railway No5. It’s also great to see Chris Pendlenton back.

Regarding the perceived cliquey nature of contributors and dearth of post steam content I can honestly say that, as a regular guest editor, it’s not for the want of trying. My last issue had a piece on putting together a representative stud of East Anglian diesels and I have two articles on OHE locos in the pipeline. That said, finding D&E content of a suitable quality that contains a degree of modelling and is not just a collection of nicely assembled RTR (not that theirs anything wrong with that I hasten to add), is difficult. I’ve approached a number of potential contributors but all too often, despite their promises, they fail to come up with the goods. We would be more than happy to publish material from immediate post steam to the contemporary scene if we are sent it. If any readers of this have something they think is suitable I can be contacted via pm.

Jerry

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Success ! 

The Memsahib has played a blinder, returning from the zoo with No.300. 

Quick flick through and this is indeed a corker of an issue. 

Settling down shortly with a nice coffee laced with home made egg nog.

Rob

• Like 4