Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level crossing at/near tunnel mouth

GDR

On 20/12/2023 at 21:34, Bucoops said:

Mid Norfolk?

Yes.  It's one of a pair of Automated Open (ie ungated) Crossings very close together, this one over Yaxham Road, the other about 100 yards away over Greens Road in Dereham.  Because they've so close together the crossing controls overlap.  I believe the building between the two was once a crossing keeper's cottage as historically the crossings would have had wooden gates.  The one shown is on quite a sharp skew to the railway, note the length of the yellow box markings in the road.   Preserved railways can use heritage equipment, but level crossings still have to comply with current highways regulations, and the line speed restriction there is extremely low.

It's not really a tunnel of course, the flyover is the dual carriageway A47.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/12/2023 at 17:48, Limpley Stoker said:

Bradford on Avon crossing is ungated but as it is close to the station the train movements are slow !

I think all scheduled passenger trains now stop (they didn't a few years back) but there are some freight and it is often used for diversions of GWR London-Bristol trains.  

5 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

I think all scheduled passenger trains now stop (they didn't a few years back) but there are some freight and it is often used for diversions of GWR London-Bristol trains.  

But see

and several other posts, the post from Limpley Stoker that you quoted is far from correct.

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2023 at 15:42, Forward! said:

Well, if we're talking about implausible bridge/crossing combinations, there's always this...

three(1858)bridges00 (1).jpg

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/windmill_lane_bridge/

Several more photos here. I'm not sure what the arches did but I think are just buttresses?

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

They're not shown on that early drawing so might have been added to counteract movement of the side walls ??!?

I think they are on the more northerly side and the drawing is from the south. Some photos show them, some don't - took me a while to twig!

But yes I think that's all they are for.

edit. actually you'd still see them in the drawing so probably were added later. The whole thing is functional rather than pleasing!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2023 at 14:25, Wickham Green too said:

Closed to passengers in 1942 - though a few railtours have visited including, I think, a shuttle when Southall had an open day.

Regular freight use with a bin liner although I don;t know if there is still a regular stone trains to Days,   And of course it had a special steam railmotor shuttle one weekend not too many years back.