E1 4-4-0

Paul_C

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Paul_C said:

Thanks for that Jason. What are the differences between the D1 and E1 (if there are any). I see that the DJH kit is labelled as being both so am I right in thinking that they were one and the same?

Paul.

I can't tell you the differences, but it's unlikely in the extreme that two class designations would be issued for one design of loco.

FURTHER INFO.

The difference was the source class for Maunsell's rebuilds - see https://www.google.com/url?q=https://sremg.org.uk/steam/d1(secr)-mob.shtml&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjMmN-ij62DAxVTUUEAHfRZAVEQFnoECAkQAg&usg=AOvVaw30gpyuNMiTVANgGDlx-WQD

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

Thank you Pete. I actually bought the DJH model about three years ago and somebody was building it for me as a D1. Unfortunately it never came off as he let me down very badly but had it been a runner on my layout from what you say I would have unknowingly been running an E1 as a D1. I'm sure it wouldn't have been very long before somebody pointed it out.

I still have it uncompleted but try as I have I can't find anybody to salvage it. If I could then I would have an E1.

Paul.

Thank you to those of you who have responded to my post. A couple of years ago I bought the DJH version thinking it was a D1 but reading up on it it would seem that their model is actually an E1. This was put together by somebody who I was told was a very good modeller but unfortunately that was not the case. The model was never finished and I had a devils own job getting it back. When I did retrieve it I found that there were several issues the main one being the twisted chassis. 

He had obviously put it together on an uneven surface and such was the state of the construction it could not be rectified. A very good loco man tried in vain to put things right but it just was not possible. I have contacted PDK so maybe I will look into getting their kit. Does anybody know of a good builder who would take this on please?

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

According to reference details, the main visual differences between the two classes, pertinent to modellers would be: 

• Class D1 - Coupling rods: plain section,  Coupled wheel dia: 6’  8”,  Coupled wheelbase: 9’  0”, Bogie wheel dia: 3’  7”.
  • Class E1 - Coupling rods: “fluted”, Coupled wheel dia: 6’  6”,  Coupled wheelbase: 9’  6”, Bogie wheel dia: 3’  6”.
  • Class D1 had boilers fitted with side feed from their date of rebuilding (new).
Edited by Right Away
spelling.