RMweb

Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

6 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Might they be tweaking the tooling of Locomotion in the future to say cover the replica. That announced is as preserved and hence authentically stuffed and should not move which if it's anything like Rocket will how most of them will be anyway. How much will be in horribly brittle plastic when it should logically be metal components?

But did move in 1925!

Under very light steam and when used in the Cavalcade used a petrol engine.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

But is that as preserved today which is being modelled?

Yes. It's Locomotion, not a replica.

They physically just took it off the plinth and overhauled it. Unfortunately they couldn't use it with full pressure so fitted a petrol engine* for it to be used in the cavalcade.

*In one of the wagons I believe

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, The Meerkat said:

did i read first post right

Hornby will do further 2024 announcement or is this it

only purple and TFW class 67s that interest me

On the video right near the start they confirmed there would be more announcements during the year, separate to the TT one in April.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I waded through the Signal Box video and I think I heard Carl mention a B17. He was probably referring to the streamlined version but the latest tooling of a B17 with a group standard tender would be welcome. I don’t know why it wasn’t done when the retool was first launched. Locomotion – I’ll go for that. I’m not in the market for another King but I’ll be interested to see how the finish turns out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Under very light steam and when used in the Cavalcade used a petrol engine.

The 1925 equivalent of tender drive!

Of all the items announced today, Locomotion is the only one that has my attention, I may pre-order it.

After that, I'll wait and see...

2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I waded through the Signal Box video and I think I heard Carl mention a B17. He was probably referring to the streamlined version but the latest tooling of a B17 with a group standard tender would be welcome. I don’t know why it wasn’t done when the retool was first launched. Locomotion – I’ll go for that. I’m not in the market for another King but I’ll be interested to see how the finish turns out.

They've done Barnsley in late crest BR livery with the GS tender. I have one!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder if they will be a sudden sell off of all those old Nellies, Connie's and Polly's as people rush to replace them with latest hi def new ones!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Well it'd be rude not to buy a GNER HST wouldn't it now!

They did occasionally venture off the ECML and Virgin XC were known to have 'borrowed' a set or two over time, which is how I'll be justifying the gorgeous train to occasionally run on my Didcot layout, flying through the Oxford line - and am very much looking forward to it arriving!

As a youngster I remember craving the original Hornby attempt at the GNER HST - I think it was 1997 if my memory serves me right, they were still with the Ringfield-powered loco and comedy 'shorty' Mk3s back then, so to finally buy a set with high-spec power cars, easy provision for sound and the latest-gen Mk3s with the accurate interiors & jumper cable sockets will be a real treat that's been a long time coming!

The black Shell TTAs in particular are lovely too - I'm sure there'll be many more releases in due course, but I'm certainly far from disappointed with this announcement, bravo!

Cheers

James

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

There’s video of a running sample of Locomotion at the start of the Live Q&A currently ongoing on Hornby’s YouTube - it looks excellent! 

Also mentioned that it will feature Accurascale compatible couplings to allow running with their Chaldrons. 

Edited by Watto1990
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

An interesting announcement with a clever choice of 'Locomotion No.1' being thrust into the market place a year early which will hopefully guarantee its presence in 2025.  Should be good for more sales of A/S chaldron wagons as well.  Overall the mx is much what I would have expected and the Hirnby Dublo branded 'Silver King;' is in the sort of price range I think it should be occupying as premium branding - let's hope it's a commercial success.

It does look like a bit of an LNER clear-out year and I do wonder just how well some of those will do in the market place?  Some clever old tooling re-runs in Railroad helping to leep down cost and prices even if a lack of hi-fi disappoints some.  Iis it the first step towards keener pricing, with lower manufacturing costs, for the wider market I wonder; let's hope it too succeeds.

The big loss for me is the Macaw although I do wonder if Hronby got wind of someone else being in the hunt for that and decided to cut their losses before things got too far?   Anyway a nice consolation prize for me with a triple pack of Coke Hoppers at a very competitive price.  Clearly they are learning a lesson from the market when it comes to triple packs of hi-fi wagons.  And it does mean  there is something in it for me! 

But when it comes down to it the real test will be how they do in the toyshop and chain store market.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Watto1990 said:

There’s video of a running sample of Locomotion at the start of the Live Q&A currently ongoing on Hornby’s YouTube - it looks excellent! 

Wow, yes that is looking superb! 👌

I would be interested to see its slow running capability, because the real thing certainly wouldn't have been moving that fast 😄

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

They've done a few B17s with GS tenders though.

Barnsley, Grimsby Town, Manchester United, Leicester City with the slightly less detailed new Railroad version getting West Ham United and Liverpool.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Watto1990 said:

Also mentioned that it will feature Accurascale compatible couplings to allow running with their Chaldrons. 

go to -46:45

• Like 4

Well, Locomotion I will buy. Someone had to tackle it in time for the Bi-Centenary. Based on Rocket, I'm sure that Hornby can deliver here.  I think this is the "as preserved" condition, but frankly that will do. It will be good to see the protoype restored to its rightful place in Darlington in due course. 

It would be a bit odd, though, if Locomotion appeared on its own, with no effort at S&DR stock. So, I wonder if for 2025 will see an announcement of the early S&D chaldrons (if not, there was once a whitemetal kit and they are simple enough scratch-builds, and drawings have been published) and a dandy cart, complete with horse! Also the crude covered passenger wagon and the  horse-drawn stage coach. EDIT: Accurascale chaldrons are not the right period for 1825/Locomotion (see the style modelled below), so it would be a shame if Hornby used their existence as an excuse not to bother - mind you, when one reflects on what Hornby thinks L&M wagons looked like...! 

Darlington MRC, many moons ago, modelled the S&D for the North Road (Head of Steam) museum in Darlington:

DSC_6700.JPG.032cc15b29a5d131acfed714fdc6ebcb.JPG

DSC_6706.JPG.5e6c5eb2e96f19be7bbe44233b0a2bca.JPG

DSC_6716-Copy.JPG.0c04a3d22aea434d0baa1a9a13e26163.JPG

Given this year's planned release of a preseved 1840s carriage in the form of the 'Queen Adelaide' carriage, I cannot help wonder if Hornby will also be tempted by the two 1840s Stockton & Darlington composites?

DSC_4331a.JPG.58776a272f973d260c528538e4dedcd8.JPG

Anyway after the exciting announcement of Locomotion at the head of Andy's post, there was a depressing amount of the usual tat and retreads to scroll through, though as none of it is a period of interest, I don't really have any view.

It is interesting to see the continuation of last year's neglect of the pre-Grouping scene (as opposed to the 'pioneering' era). Hornby really has left this whole market segment free for Rapido to move into and dominate. Bachmann does a little very slowly and Dapol keeps a steady flow, but Rapido is rapidly colonising this space with only Accurascale as a challenger here.  Meanwhile, Hornby does nothng. Indeed, I cannot recall Hornby producing anything worth a pre-Grouper's notice since it introduced its superlative little Pecketts; what a false dawn that was. 

Back to the 2024 releases, and we're back to the Earlies.

It is good to see L&MR loco and stock being sold separately for the first time, though the Tiger model remains a really odd interpretation of that prototype, or, indeed any 1840s loco of a similar ilk, and the 'coal wagon' remains a short length of old rope.

Joy comes with some new-tooled early stock, and both the releases of the 'Queen Adelaide' carriage and the 'Second Class' coach look well worth investigating and I am very much interested in these. 

It is great to see a London & Birmingham Railway carriage (1842). I don't suppose Hornby will do anything but this solitary preserved vehicle for the L&B, but it is, nevertheless, good to see even one RTR example of such early stock.

Edited by Edwardian
more to say
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

R40414  IoW CR, 4 Wheel Coach (4 Door), 1st Class - Era 2  £36.99  Jul-24

R40415  IoW CR, 4 Wheel Coach (5 Door), 3rd Class - Era 2  £36.99 Jul-24

R40416  IoW CR, 4 Wheel Coach, Brake Third - Era 2  £36.99 Jul-24

image.png

I was puzzled by this until I found this thanks to a friend Hornby website only

IMG_2846.jpeg.5026106209d7bef9910080f3529d365d.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funny how some are looking at the L&M stock as new announcements seeing as they were announced last year!

Or was it the year before?

Jason

The "new" announcement was the fact they are available separately now and not in the train packs like they have been previously.

Happy to be corrected

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Agree 6

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The big loss for me is the Macaw although I do wonder if Hronby got wind of someone else being in the hunt for that and decided to cut their losses before things got too far?

The J21 was introduced by Mainline (in 1980 I think), taken over by Bachmann, and still an excellent model.

Hornby's plan to duplicate it was either a bit of Kohler pigheadedness, or Hornby just didn't check what was out there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They've done a few B17s with GS tenders though.

Barnsley, Grimsby Town, Manchester United, Leicester City with the slightly less detailed new Railroad version getting West Ham United and Liverpool.

Jason

Yes but what I should have made clear was that the object of my affections was the latest non-streamlined tooling with a GS tender in LNER livery. Sorry for being vague,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Yes but what I should have made clear was that the object of my affections was the latest non-streamlined tooling with a GS tender in LNER livery. Sorry for being vague,

Yes they seem to have been a bit restricted with ringing the changes with the possible B17 permutations.  I must admit I hadn't realised they'd not done a GS tender in LNER livery, but on the other hand, I've always hoped for a Westinghouse fitted one in BR livery (either type of tender) but to the best of my knowledge they've never done that either.

• Like 1

Great to see the Locomotion running sample and it does look superb, almost hypnotic watching the various components of the gear rise and fall. 

Surprised and delighted to hear them mention compatibility with Accurascale couplings so directly. I've previously picked up a sense that Hornby's marketing and communications guide must read that anything of non-Hornby origin was to be ignored or at best alluded to as vaguely as possible. I suspect the Hornby of a few years ago would have been rushing out their own accompanying Chaldrons with the L&M couplings out of principle. This is a refreshing change.

With the splitting out of the L&M range into standalone items, I wonder if there's a chance of seeing a set of convertor couplings to enable the same magnetic chains to be added by those wanting compatibility across the era 1 output? If Hornby don't, maybe an opportunity for Accurascale!

Edit: Also confirmed in the Q+A that Locomotion will carry an NEM pocket.

Edited by Tiny151
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tiny151 said:

Surprised and delighted to hear them mention compatibility with Accurascale couplings so directly. I've previously picked up a sense that Hornby's marketing and communications guide must read that anything of non-Hornby origin was to be ignored or at best alluded to as vaguely as possible. I suspect the Hornby of a few years ago would have been rushing out their own accompanying Chaldrons with the L&M couplings out of principle. This is a refreshing change.

It really does feel like Hornby is being cured of "Kohleritis", and I couldn't be happier about that! 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 4