Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, rovex said:

The Southern was the GWR coaches painted green and a different roof.

Yes, I'd forgotten that.

18 minutes ago, rovex said:

a brake and a composite for each of the big four

The LNER coaches were a composite and brake composite, along with the sleeper. They were a bit short, to fit the standard underframe, but they have been bashed into reasonabl;e representations of real diagrams.

20 minutes ago, rovex said:

GWR underframe

That's a generous description. It certainly bore no resemblance to an LMS underframe.

22 minutes ago, rovex said:

Any mk 2s came from airfix

Wasn't there some non-airconditioned Mk 2s?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

That was more of an early 70s thing. In 1977 Hornby introduced their frankly hideously crude representations of GWR Collett, LMS Stanier, and SR Maunsell carriages, along with LNER Gresley carriages that weren't so very bad - all on a common underframe and with BR bogies. After a few years, the LNER carriages gained a representation of Gresley bogies, and even got teak ends. These still turn up in train packs. 

The 'GW version' of which appears to be offered with the Hawksworth 'County' in the newly announced R30376  2024 Railroad train pack.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, rovex said:

As I recall there was the veteran four wheeler, and a brake and a composite for each of the big four. The GWR was based on Collett 57 footers with a dining car. The Southern was the GWR coaches painted green and a different roof. The LNER were some distorted gresley coach stock plus a sleeper. The lms were stanier 57 footers using the GWR underframe or vice versa.

The BRITISH rail stock were a selection of Mk 1 and after 78 some mk 3.

Any mk 2s came from airfix

The "veteran" four wheeler was brand new!

Reasonable model of a S&DJR four wheel coach on a wagon chassis.

https://hmrs.org.uk/aac326-fcn-sdjr-no-1-4whl-3-compt-first-op-side-high-contrast-photo-nrm-ref-dy8468.html

Ok, not one for the rivet counters but served well as a train set coach for a few decades.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

After a few years, the LNER carriages gained a representation of Gresley bogies, and even got teak ends.

The GWR coaches eventually got Collet style bogies as well.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you for your comments about the GNER HST and coaches from the previous years.

Looking at R30349 Hornby Dublo 'Silver King' on page 46 of the 2024 catalogue I have just noticed that it not a limited run and neither are the new Hornby Dublo Deltics. This overcomes the problem Hornby had last year of limiting the sales of their Hornby Dublo brand to around 500 items and then finding that more than 500 people wanted to buy them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2024 at 08:56, JSpencer said:

You would also need track which looks nothing like any of the ready to go track produced these days.

I think it would be honorable to produce an era 1 layout but suspect it would be better for someone to research and scratch build themselves maybe in O gauge leaving grey areas to their own tastes.

Something I actually forgot at the time of you posting this, but it IS possible. AMBIS Model Engineering still produce 4mm & 7mm fishbelly rail kits.

It might or might not be the exact right profile for the early S&D track, but it's close enough compared to modern RTR track.

It's not a cheap way of doing it, but at least it is possible 👍

fishbelly_1.jpg.a5a9f7d4c58a2ccfa0a18005e4083163.jpg

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

New Engine Shed blog implies NEM couplings have been dropped from Locomotion, but confirms the model will come with Hornby Era 1 couplings and (more interestingly) magnetic chain link couplings. 

Edited by Watto1990
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Watto1990 said:

and (more interestingly) magnetic chain link couplings. 

Yep, they mentioned in the announcement livestream about it being compatible with the AS chaldrons. Nice to see them making provision for another companies products 👍

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On the first page of this thread, there's a table listing items needing to be caught up.

I've only looked at the a2/2 and a2/3 (my personal interest ecml) they were April 24. Now Autumn on the Hornby website! Other items leap frogging these items. 

I do hope Hornby do catch up with these and other items 

• Agree 1

Shame there was no rerun of the Drax wagons, given how quickly the last batch vanished and the prices they now fetch on the Bay.. who is responsible for their market research?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ravel said:

Shame there was no rerun of the Drax wagons, given how quickly the last batch vanished and the prices they now fetch on the Bay.. who is responsible for their market research?

A computer, we are led to believe.

whats betting next year we are told its an AI algortihm ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A computer, we are led to believe.

whats betting next year we are told its an AI algortihm ?

I wouldn't want to insult a computer or AI in such a way ! Ironic really isn't it, you'd thought with a company so driven by its finance updates it would be looking at every bit of sales data to the Nth degree.. 

Same goes for the TEAs like the Drax wagons, imagine if they did a few of those in different liveries.. budget friendly semi decent models would imo shift very fast,

• Agree 3

there might be limitations on what they can produce for the Drax wagons - Have Drax not copyrighted their wagon design and commissioned the first run of wagons ... so they may actually own the tooling. I certainly got the impression permission had to be requested for further runs

• 2 weeks later...

With Hornby now making announcements throughout the year I wonder if we'll see any this weekend at Model Rail Scotland?

Last year Accurascale announced their retooled 66 at the show so I would like to think Hornby will want to get some attention this time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, georgeds said:

Interesting Hornby is offering limited editions of low hundreds, to individual retailers, that seemed to have stopped for a good few years..

was it Jan 2018 last time they did this, with Kernows 31’s and 50’s?

Edited by adb968008

19 hours ago, georgeds said:

With such a low production run I wonder if this set will be produced at the same time as the R30097TXS InterCity 125 set. I know it'll use the later power car version but the base livery on 43184 is essentially the same, so could save on production cost. Is it a coincidence the two models are also due out around the same time later this year.

This leads me to wonder if Hornby might also produce a standard XC twin pack at the same time and give a surprise announcement during the year. I reckon a standard release XC pack would be more popular than this very limited period (just 6 months for 43184 Laira Diesel Depot) set, especially when looking at the extortionate price the previous version goes for on eBay.