Okehampton station footbridge roof blown off

• RMweb Premium

Just seen some photos on Facebook showing the roof from the footbridge at Okehampton has been blown off and is strewn over the platforms and the track. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

The story made the local BBC News Spotlight, with brief shots of the pieces of roof scattered on the track and platforms, as part of a regional round-up of weather damage etc. More time was spent on news of the imminent demise of Par, Lostwithiel  and Truro signalboxes, with sometime RMwebber Craig Munday MOM explaining what, why and when. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... though some might prefer it framing a Bulleid Pacific on a through train ......... !

I was born a bit too late for that.

If the SR plan to dieselise the Western District had come to fruition this might have become an everyday sight in the 1960s

IMG_7471.JPG.6074f1d5a0ead9451231feccfdd4cc09.JPG

Okehampton looking west 27/8/2017

cheers

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

August 8th 2023

D686A563-2BB4-45FB-A4C6-170F72EF285C.jpeg.5eb9474689ebdc7700e3ecc253743e36.jpeg

We travelled from Okehampton…

B1BC4E45-50F0-4BAD-B3D9-47C94804B843.jpeg.b29cd072cb6a30792d4c52709d04341b.jpeg

to 

D972283A-85F6-4720-9642-4461E909540C.jpeg.f4df2abd7ecf7c1f2a01d4bd7bc9b6dd.jpeg017D941E-6BE5-406D-8A13-3EB0F384F63E.jpeg.690f2107c3e0d90517e25bedc711c791.jpeg

ok ok… admittedly it wasn't a direct train…

D9E01D34-8420-4EAB-9DC5-197EEA3C7A2A.jpeg.660236f5abf87b8263aa3f92c1f5c378.jpeg

but Maybe some day…

20121ADC-7B97-4981-97D5-46E48B2139B5.jpeg.62530d6c4d373bf9d8633b4e8e9e4095.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

I see, from that article, that we now have "train lines" to go with "train stations".  🙄

Sadly anything "live" would be better off if chimps wrote the articles. I think they use AI - Artificial Idiots.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

I see, from that article, that we now have "train lines" to go with "train stations".  🙄

Sadly an awful lot of ordinary folk (and not just youngsters) now call railways ‘train lioness’ in everyday speech.

Attempts to suppress words that enter common usage are futile….

• RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2024 at 20:02, adb968008 said:

Will it get its roof back again is the question.

Probably not  (why would NR put something back that serves no useful purpose for fare paying passengers and which is not integral to providing access to platforms 1 / 2).

Although I believe the station is listed I don’t think the law compels owners to reinstate things which have been damaged by ‘force mejure’ type events as opposed to deliberate acts of damage (be it deliberately undertaken by the owners or vandalism)

28 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Probably not  (why would NR put something back that serves no useful purpose for fare paying passengers and which is not integral to providing access to platforms 1 / 2).

Although I believe the station is listed I don’t think the law compels owners to reinstate things which have been damaged by ‘force mejure’ type events as opposed to deliberate acts of damage (be it deliberately undertaken by the owners or vandalism)

I believe when New St PSB was cleaned as part of The Mailbox development, English Heritage got a bit  uppity about the building becoming a concrete white colour rather than the brown grade 2 listed structure that we had all come to love.(?). 

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Clearly not paying attention at the back ! ................................... nothing new, unfortunately, but yes, Oh Dear !

From what I remember the argument went something like

buses/coaches stop at bus/coach stations not road stations,

so trains must stop at a train station not a railway station.

(Oh dear, have I just opened the worm can lid again) :(

• RMweb Gold

A railway station is a station ona railway.  So presumably a train station must be a station on a train.  

In a different meaning of the word station a police station is a place where police officers are stationed  sp that usage can't app;y because stationed and stationary have different meanings.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Wikipedia, citing RailAdvent, says, 'The council retains control of the rest of the station (platforms 1 and 2) and is responsible for maintenance of the footbridge'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A railway station is a station on a railway.  So presumably a train station must be a station on a train.  

In a different meaning of the word station a police station is a place where police officers are stationed  so that usage can't apply because stationed and stationary have different meanings.

Of course you could complicate matters further by writing it down on stationery bought at the stationers !

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1