Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Nigel Mann

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Sadly Nigel passed away in late December. I only got to know Nigel in recent years through his role as layout organiser for Fareham and Bristol. He was always friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. 
I last saw Nigel at Manchester where he was running the Andeer line. My condolences to his Widow Pat and family. 

Andeer Line RhB at Manchester show 10/12/23

Nigel, calm in control of Poschiavo station. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Thats sad and a bit of a shock to hear.

I have had a number of chats with him at recent shows and most recently at  the Fareham show late last year.

I am sure plenty of others will have done much the same with the two shows he was involved with.

We will certainly miss him.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shocked!   I dealt with Nigel quite a few times and he was always a pleasure to meet.

A real loss to the hobby and the West Somerset Railway too.

RIP Nigel.

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear this.  I knew Nigel quite well some years ago when he was a fellow signalman at the Watercress Line.  (He looked a bit younger then.)  We worked for the same firm at one time although he was later TUPE'd out.  We had only met occasionally in recent years but it was always good to catch up.  He can't have been that old.

Keith

Alton.

• RMweb Gold

What a shock - my condolences to Nigel's family and friends. I too only spoke to him at Manchester last month as well as taking one of my layouts to Fareham last September...

Chris H

• RMweb Gold

A big and unexpected shock. I was in contact very recently with Nigel discussing Fareham and Bristol. He was a lovely chap.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• RMweb Gold

If anyone has photos of Nigel ‘in action’ and is prepared to share them his widow Pat would be grateful as many of the photos Nigel is behind the camera and she’d like some for the tribute. Please post here or pm them to me and I’ll forward them on via a mutual friend. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Really sorry to hear this news, what an awful shock. As with many others, my dealings with Nigel were through his organising of the Fareham show, which our club exhibited at last year. He was a really friendly, pleasant chap, and went a long way to making our visit an enjoyable experience. 

Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time, as well as his friends and colleagues at the Fareham club.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Found out today at our Museum that this was the same Nigel Mann who used to live in the Ipswich Area in the 1980's and was involved in the local Transport and Model Rail Societies.

Something made me look at this thread when it was first posted and the WSR/Modelling connections made me look further, but I couldn't recognise him from the couple of more recent photos I found - particularly as he had a substantial head of hair when he lived here!

He was heavilly into buses at that time - particularly LT - and he arranged several minibus trips over weekends to various parts of the Country in the 1980's, one of which was a Bank Holiday weekend trip to his native north-east, where he managed to blag a tour round South Gosforth Metro car sheds and Control Room one Sunday morning by just turning up, unnanounced, at the main gate!

The news has taken a while to get to this part of the world but people who knew him from that time are now being informed.

Think the last time I saw him was on a Railtour to Preston Docks back in 2008, though had certainly seen him at Warley before that as well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have known of this sad event since before Xmas when his family replied to several unanswered emails I had sent Nigel.

I had known Nigel vaguely for several years due to his work for Bristol and Fareham, but last summer when I was in need of a driver to take my layout to Warley I took a chance and contacted him. He kindly agreed to organise and drive the van and operate the layout for two days. All I can say is that he was an absolute pleasure to work with. Needless to say, he was immediately invited to join my 'A' team and I was shocked to hear the news of his passing.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Shocked and saddened to hear this news, having attended a few Fareham shows with my train sets  and with Cath doing the work of Book Law! A very affable sort of chap who was happy to cover for me when I needed a break. He even looked like he was enjoying it on odd occasions! Our (Cath and Myself) deepest sympathies go out to his family and those at Fareham MRC.

Saddened of Market Harborough

• Friendly/supportive 3

I did have a quick look through my 1980's photos to see whether Nigel featured on any of our bus related trips from that area, and could only find one......

84-202

You can't see much of him, but he's upstairs with the top part of his head (above nose level...) visible behind the centre metal handrail of the front "windscreen".  He seems to be engaged in conversation with my Mother at that point!

That was taken on a trip I organised in June 1984 to Portsmouth (using an IBT Dennis Falcon) with a tour of the city on this PCT open topper.

• Like 6